Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Iwata: Wii 2 is "under development"

25 posts in this topic

Posted

Almost two years after Wii launched, and Nintendo's global president Satoru Iwata is already announcing that the company is working on the console's successor.

------

In an interview with [i]Forbes Magazine[/i], Nintendo's worldwide CEO Satoru Iwata talked a bit about the successor to Wii, the company's most successful home console since the Super Nintendo. He stated that aesthetically, he thinks that it is rather unimpressive compared to Wii.

"We are always preparing for the next hardware," Iwata stated. "We are under development. …But the hardware is a kind of box that consumers reluctantly buy in order to play our games."

He also implied that creating a truly worthy successor to Wii will be "difficult".

"Every hardware needs some revolutionary features," Iwata said. "This time around, it happened to be we had a revolutionary user interface [Wii's motion controls]. Will it be the same for the next generation? I really can't tell."

"It's natural for the current customer to expect Nintendo is going to once again do something different," he added. "If the people are expecting so many different things from Nintendo, it's going to be difficult for us to go beyond that expectation again."

Whatever it is, it will obviously be a while before we see or hear anything major about Wii 2 (just what kind of name will be more unique for a console than "Wii"?). Wii is only two years into its lifetime, it's [i]still[/i] more rare than yeti sightings, and we've only seen three ([i]Mario[/i], [i]Metroid[/i] and [i]Zelda[/i]) of the company's many flagship series make their debuts on the console since. Epic Games president Mike Capps guessed that the eighth generation of gaming won't begin until "somewhere between 2012 and 2018".

Posted

the wii needs a graphic update since even my friends agree with me and when i say the wii looks like it
has ps2 graphic not that its a bad thing i just saying

Posted

Wii's graphical ability lies somewhere between Xbox and the 360.

Posted

I love Wii graphics! :'D

Wii II?

YEY.

I is so happy :'D

Even though i probably wont be able to get it unless it's a few more years before it's out! :'D Like... 5!

Posted

They should call it, Wii+ two more i..

Posted

i think revolution is good

Posted

I still think it's too soon for them to talk about their next home console. Besides, outdoing the Wii isn't going to be easy.

They should focus more on the more hardcore games for the Wii, since only Mario, Metroid, and Zelda have made it so far. Especially after the lack of great games at E3, as well.

Posted

[quote name='The Joker' post='159087' date='Jul 30 2008, 08:43 PM']I love Wii graphics! :'D

Wii II?

YEY.

I is so happy :'D

Even though i probably wont be able to get it unless it's a few more years before it's out! :'D Like... 5![/quote]
dont get ur hopes up
mo offence

Posted

So if you bought a wii...
You see there comes a 2nd version of it like the DS... (you should get !@#ed xD)

Posted

[quote name='Adr990' post='159127' date='Jul 30 2008, 10:41 PM']So if you bought a wii...
You see there comes a 2nd version of it like the DS... (you should get !@#ed xD)[/quote]

He's talking about a completely new console, like the jump from gamecube to wii.

It's also a fair way off still. Shigsy's said stuff about it before, that they WILL move into HD for thenext generation as they believe it will be widespread enough by then...

Also, I seriously doubt they'd call it wii, with something added before or after. It will most likely be a compleely different name, although it's hard to predict...

Posted

[quote name='Gingerlink' post='159140' date='Jul 30 2008, 03:29 PM']Also, I seriously doubt they'd call it wii, with something added before or after. It will most likely be a compleely different name, although it's hard to predict.[/quote]
The one thing we can say for sure about Nintendo's next console is that it'll be the only out of the three that'll have a completely unique name.

Their next console: Us.

Posted

They will have to come with something crazy to surprise us now.
I'm thinking virtual reality stuff or turn into a completely different direction than the Wii.

Posted

I really hope that Nintendo comes upp with something new like they did with the Wii but with much more improved graphics :D , I just hope that the new console doesn't get crappy just because "the expectations are high" and Nintendo screws upp, trying to make something truly original... like the Virtual Boy :fear:
Still, I hope it won't cost to much...

Posted

Besides improved graphics and memory, I can't really see how it could be much better than the Wii.

Posted

[quote name='SirJoshizzle' post='159143' date='Jul 30 2008, 04:35 PM']The one thing we can say for sure about Nintendo's next console is that it'll be the only out of the three that'll have a completely unique name.

Their next console: Us.[/quote]

The Wii, Followed by the Us, Followed by the Yuu....