Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Happy Mask Salesman & Majora

58 posts in this topic

Posted

A Goron's Thoughts V (This is a long one)

I've always wondered about the Happy Mask Salesman. . .

(Consider this an alternate Majora theory. . .)

He seemed to play no important role in Ocarina of Time, but he was still a very strange man. He seemed more business obsessed in Ocarina of Time than in Majora's Mask. An example is, did you ever sell the mask he lent you, then spend the money. I just did this recently. If you go to him without the money, he threatens Link. He tells him that he'd better bring his money back, or else. Then he kicks you out of his shop. Creepy. . .

Anyway, Majora's Mask is where he truly matters. He is much stranger than in Ocarina of Time. He seems to change his expressions within an instant, it looks as if he is changing masks rather than expressions. He never leaves the Clocktower until the ending of the game. He seems to be hiding. What is strange is that he just happens to be leaving Termina in the same amount of time as when the moon is going to fall. He is also extremely devoted to masks. We never knew his name either.

Now, in Majora's Mask it seems like he cares that people don't get hurt by the power of the mask, but it also seems he is more concerned about getting it back, than anything else.

Skipping forward to inside moon. . .

The first thing I thought of when I saw the children was the Happy Mask Salesman. They have the same hair, basic build. They look like the Happy Mask Salesman and they are all playing but one. Majora.

With all of the facts aside, here is the theory. . .

I believe that the Happy Mask Salesman may of been Majora. I believe he had four friends. They all had made masks and decided to play together on the hill with single tree. One wore a mask depicting a jungle warrior, his name was Odolwa. One made his mask look like a mechanical bull, his name was Goht. One made his look like a fish, his name was Gyorg. Lastly, one of the children made his mask look like a giant centipede, he was Twinmold. Majora's mask didn't look like anything, so his friends wouldn't let him play. While they all played, Majora sat against the tree and cried because he had been excluded.

While he sat, he just got more and more angry, and his mask soaked up all of the anger and despair. These emotions filled the mask, so it nothing but them. Majora grew up and became a Mask Salesman. His goal was to make masks that make people happy. He was the Happy Mask Salesman.

Through his travels, he lost the mask. It made its way to a village and tormented its people. This was the first time the Happy Mask Salesman realized its power. He sealed it deep into his backpack when he found it once again and never spoke of it. He feared his mask.

Eventually, Skull Kid stole the mask. Skull Kid shared many of the emotions the mask held, for he too had been abandoned by his friends. The mask and Skull Kid played tricks on the people of Clocktown. They even stole Link's horse.

The mask began to take control of Skullkid until he was nothing but a mere puppet to him. The mask saw Skull Kid's friends as his own. So he transformed the Four Giants into the masks his friends wore After many trials, Link finally made his way to the mind of Majora's Mask. He saw what had created the mask. He saw all of the children playing but Majora. When Link confronted Majora, he asked if Link wanted to play with him. So, Link played with him. Though Link won, the mask was satisfied. It no longer felt excluded or sad because it did get to play. Thus, the evil left from the mask.

Majora's Mask wasn't about saving a world from a falling moon. It was about playing with an excluded child. After all, isn't friendship the true theme of Majora's Mask?

(This one is better than my last Majora theory :D )

Next theory: I don't know yet. . .

Posted

That must have taken two years to write

Posted

wOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOw...I am totally speechless..got no words to debate or question that one...

amazing..

incredible...

wonderful..

excellent...

dude..whOa..you must'a spent some time on that one, huh?..Have to say..best one yet..and it does give some reasoning to why there's a tree inside the moon and the four children...and it also give sense to why Majora's mask also wanted to play so much...

..hmm..since it's called Majora's mask..and according to your theory..it was the Happy Salesman's..so wouldn't it mean the Happy Salesman name is Majora...?

:lol: just a thought

Posted

You are right. Majora's Mask was Link's Personal quest, and I believe it had to do with looking for an old

friend. I clearly understand what you posted, goron mercant. :)

Posted

lma no comment, I might say something I'll get banned for XD

Posted

..hmm..since it's called Majora's mask..and according to your theory..it was the Happy Salesman's..so wouldn't it mean the Happy Salesman name is Majora...?

:lol: just a thought

Exactly, so in other words, the game is kind of called "Happy Mask Salesman's Mask" Lol :D

lma no comment, I might say something I'll get banned for XD

:huh: Ouch. . .

You didn't like it, did you?

Posted

Actually,...

SPOILER ALERT! DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE NOT FINISHED OCARINA OF TIME OR YOU MAY READ IF YOU DON'T CARE!

I believe, based on when Navi floated away when Link forever returned the Master Sword, he was looking for Nazi. ER, Navi <.<>.> But it could have been the kid, I have no idea.

SPOILERS (and rant) OVER!

Posted

lol..haha..hmm...I do believe it was Navi he was searching for and was referring to when he said "an old friend.."

Posted

spoiler?...

Who on this forum has never finished ocarina of time? *looks around room* no1 rose there hand

lol you wouldn't be a fan of zelda if you never finished it :P which means you would have not joined this forum (or atleast not have been active)

plus every1 in this fourm LOVES spoilers XD atleast most of them, so theres no need to warn lol

lol anyway, its not that I didn't "like" it.. its just... it goes agenst what my theorys are on the game thats all.

it was the best out of all your other theorys.

Posted

But Goron Lord's theory was rate good, it was the best yet (out of the hundred and nighty five....)

Posted

plus every1 in this fourm LOVES spoilers

That is where you are wrong. I don't, because I don't want anything to be ruined for me. (Please people, if you're posting a TP spoiler, say so before you say it. It would be greatly appreciated.)

Hmmm....good theory, Goron Merchant.

Posted

I never thought Link was searching for this child, I always DID think he was searching for Navi, but instead, he found the child.

Posted

. . . Next Theory: The Poe Seller. . .

Posted

when the happy mask salesman meets you in MM, he says the mask was used in some rituals... that it was an evil mask--- if Link didnt get it back something terrible will happen

Posted

My personal belief on the Happy Mask Man is that he represents Shigeru Miyamoto...He has some of the weirdest tricks in the games, can move between Termina and Hyrule freely it seems, can reset things back if you let the moon fall, when he moves he can skip frames, stares directly at the camera sometimes, owns a Mario mask (another Miyamoto character), and yet despite being able to control everything, he lets the player do it. He is a salesmen who likes to have fun just like Miyamoto, and they even share some similar physical traits.

As for MM I doubt Nintendo has a full explanation..I just go by the one in a Manga that says Majora was a Demon defeated by Fierce Diety, who then used the demon's remains to carve a mask, which then was passed down through Terminan tribes for a while causing destruction, until it was found by the Mask Salesman. I would like to see an explanation from Nintendo, and have them revisit the game, but I doubt they will...Maybe for gameboy one day.