Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cel-shaded Graphics

20 posts in this topic

Posted

Ok so today my I was playing that one game with the wolf... It Okami or something like that, but for some reason when I was playing it I didn't get a headache, and so I came home, and played WW, and I got a massive headache like always. I don't get why when I play Okami I don't get headaches, but WW still does. :wacko: Is it that I hate WW so much that it was the game itself that gave me headaches, and not the graphics? I'm confused.

Posted

WOAH, WOAH. CALM DOWN, ANGRY PERSON. DON'T GET SO MAD. =O

I think it's psychological. You don't like the game, so your brain finds as many things wrong with it as possible. I, for one, get sick to my stomach when I listen to some rap music. It's pretty much the same thing, except your instance isn't degrading to women. =O

Posted

because (if I am correct) cel-shading is when you don't go in and make every pixel a different color for texturing. What gives you a headache with WW is the style it is done in. It's with out a doubt not the cel-shading.

Cel-shaded animation (also called cel-shading or toon shading) is a type of non-photorealistic rendering designed to make computer graphics appear to be hand-drawn. Cel-shading is often used to mimic the style of a comic book or cartoon. It is a somewhat recent addition to computer graphics, most commonly turning up in console video games. Though the end result of cel-shading has a very simplistic feel like that of hand-drawn animation, the process is complex. The name comes from the clear sheets of acetate, called cels, that are painted on for use in traditional 2D animation, such as Disney classics.

Okami and Wind Waker are two different forms of cel-shading.

Posted (edited)

because (if I am correct) cel-shading is when you don't go in and make every pixel a different color for texturing. What gives you a headache with WW is the style it is done in. It's with out a doubt not the cel-shading.

Okami and Wind Waker are two different forms of cel-shading.

That's what I thought because WW is really bright, and colorful, and it must be all those colors that annoys me.

WOAH, WOAH. CALM DOWN, ANGRY PERSON. DON'T GET SO MAD. =O

I think it's psychological. You don't like the game, so yoru brain finds as many things wrong with it as possible. I, for one, get sick to my stomach when I listen to some rap music. It's pretty much the same thing, except your instance isn't degrading to women. =O

It could also be this too.

BIG EDIT: Wait a minuet! I hated toon style because I figured that WW was cel-shaded so I had to hate all games I love with toon style because I was afraid that they were also cel-shaded in the same way. So cel-shading, and toon style are both differnt. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS I can love FSA again. :)

Edited by Y. Link Addict (see edit history)

Posted

Although it shouldn't've made a difference in the first place. Did FSA give you headaches? If not, why couldn't you play/like it?

Posted

Ok so today my I was playing that one game with the wolf... It Okami or something like that, but for some reason when I was playing it I didn't get a headache, and so I came home, and played WW, and I got a massive headache like always. I don't get why when I play Okami I don't get headaches, but WW still does. :wacko: Is it that I hate WW so much that it was the game itself that gave me headaches, and not the graphics? I'm confused.

Because you're biased.

If I recall correctly, most, if not, all, of Okami is cel shaded.

The only parts in Wind Waker that are cel shaded are the characters.

EDIT: Woah, you said a long time ago that you clearly knew the difference between cel shading and toon look.

You make no sense.

And you JUST said you weren't going to get MC because you hated toon looks.

Sahaqiel

Posted

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker is well-known for its cel-shaded style.

The game ÅŒkami uses cel-shading to give the impression of a world inside a painting.

Posted

Because you're biased.

EDIT: Woah, you said a long time ago that you clearly knew the difference between cel shading and toon look.

You make no sense.

And you JUST said you weren't going to get MC because you hated toon looks.

Sahaqiel

No. I never knew that. I just didn't want it to be anything near cel-shaded.

That was before I learned that they were differnt.

@G333: Well no. I didn't like it because

I was afraid that they were also cel-shaded in the same way.

Posted

But if you had played it and hadn't gotten headaches, then this would override your reason for detesting the toon style, as it would no longer be existant due to the fact that you hadn't received headaches from it.

This is like me eating a cereal and not liking it because it gives me stomachaches. Then I am hesitant to eat a waffle because I'm afraid that it is also in the breakfastfood category. Thusly, I end my consumption of waffles because I don't like a cereal.

Posted

asdasdapa2.png

Yes, but all you look at is water, and people. You don't pay attention to anything else in the game.

Posted

What? No you don't. You go in multiple dungeons many times. The only ones with water in them are the Forbidden Forest and the Tower of the Gods. You only talk to people in two dungeons, as well.

Also, Sahaqiel, wouldn't the enemies also be cel-shaded, too.

Also, that's a fscking horrible picture as well as horrible outlining.

Posted

how do you get a headache from games? seriously? I liked the ww graphics though.

Posted

Awesome! So you finally got to play Okami. =)

Yeah, it's probably because of your huge intolerance for WW. Cel-shaded + toon style aren't exactly the same thing (seeing as Okami is a prime example of this.) :)

What'd you think of Okami anyway? (Or did you play it for a very short time?)

Posted

I think you are mad...

Why don't you leave it to a game by game basis. Try the game, see if it's a problem or you don't like it BEFORE making your decision...