New Old - school games

28 posts in this topic

Posted

Some people have been thinking that with Megaman 9 that if enough people buy it...we could have New Old school games. Me...I have no opinion on the matter. And make no mistake! This is not a topic about Megaman 9. This is a sort of WHAT IF topic...as in "What if we COULD have new Old - school games?" By "old - school" I mean like NES or Genesis. Whadda you think? Would new 2D games be cool or not?

Your thoughts?

Posted

I've never played a megaman game. Are they any good?

And I still like 2-D games. Like Paper Mario if that's what you mean? I also like side scrolling games as well. Their still pretty great.

Posted

Yes, but would you want new ones?

Posted

Depends on the quality and the cost. I still like 2-D games. Some games just belong in 2-D though. And that's how they should stay.

Posted

Any now - 3D series you would like to see go retro 2D?

Posted

They made Final Fantasy XII into a 2-D Final Fantasy Tactics Advance Real-Time game, that was quite fun.

Games like Paper Mario are amazing, although it's not really all 2-D, but, still, great games.

I think they should make Zelda 2-D, I mean, it's been 3-D, for like, 15 years now, they should make it 2-D at least once.

Also, I would say God of War, maybe, but, it'd just seem far less gruesome and gorey as sprites.

Posted

depends what you mean by 2d, if you mean a la "adventure of link" then just think about it, some games I don't see working in 2d.

However, having classic gameplay that's tried and tested isn't really a bad thing. New Super Mario Bros. is brilliant for example.

It's when you start thinking more about winding the graphics back that you could start getting some controversy. I mean there's the fact that it gives a "retro" feel, but on the other hand, it could also look a lot better really..

Posted

depends what you mean by 2d, if you mean a la "adventure of link" then just think about it, some games I don't see working in 2d.

However, having classic gameplay that's tried and tested isn't really a bad thing. New Super Mario Bros. is brilliant for example.

It's when you start thinking more about winding the graphics back that you could start getting some controversy. I mean there's the fact that it gives a "retro" feel, but on the other hand, it could also look a lot better really..

Yeah. Think about it. When they made all the classic games they were pushing the available technology. That's what they are doing today, too. Classic (or classic style) games are good, but anyone that considers them more than an (awesome) novelty is a phony. Just one of those people that "only play Tetris" or whatever. Anyway, innovation and ingenuity is where it's at. Making classic style games doesn't reinvent or redefine anything, and we all know that's what makes a great game.

Posted

of course it also doesn't mean that every single stone has been unturned. There's games that could've been created with old tech that haven't been thought of yet.

Posted

You can't take games from 3-D and put them in 2-D. That's just a giant leap backwards. Metroid made a brilliant move from 2-D to 3-D. But it's good that they kept some of the games in 2-D. If it's already moved into the third dimension it should stay there. But maybe release a couple of 2-D games to keep in mind it's roots. How long has it been since they've released a real Mario game? Paper Mario came close but not really. New Super Mario Bros was the last one they released I think... They should make more like it. They should make a good original Final Fantasy game with black mages etc.

There. I think I've said enough.

Posted (edited)

Uh...what about Super Mario Galaxy?

Points for who can find the hidden message.

Edited by The Minish Link (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

I'm not sure if this counts as a 2-D game but it looks like a modern version of one

Edited by Bathykolpian (see edit history)

Posted

And what about WL: Shake it?

Posted

I say we should get some Zelda and Mario games in 2-D again

the 3-D games since the gamecube have gotten easier and easier.

back in the NES-N64 age you needed quick reflexes, lots of practice just to survive

like right now even though it has good graphics, the Wii has the easiest games that i've played in a long time, like Super Mario Galaxy and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (compared to LTTP and the original, it was cake)

Posted

I'm not sure if this counts as a 2-D game but it looks like a modern version of one

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">