Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Need Opinions

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I didn't really know which forum this topic should fall under. ^^;

Okay, so since in order to pass High School I need to do 40 Volunteer hours, originally I was going to do all of my volunteer hours in the Summer. Recently, my friend showed me this Volunteer job at our nearby Library for a, "Teen Programming Assistant - Wii Gaming" (:D) Basically, the essential job function was:

1. Assist with Wii Gaming programs (... does that mean Wii channels, or Wii games? I'm a little confused here.)

2. Set up and take down equipment for program

3. Keep a log book of hours/activities

4. Communicate /liaise with library staff

And the hours are 2 hours on Weekends or P.A Days. Honestly, this sounds really cool. I'm very technical, and love Wii (we also get to work with little children, and I dont't mind kids. ^^)

My friend and I are seriously considering applying, but I'm still not sure. Anyone think I should take the job for Volunteer hours now, or look for a bunch during the Summer? (Then again, I do kind of want a Summer job at a bookstore this Summer, so that'll take up a lot of my time.)

Opinions, please!

Edited by Saria_Kokiri (see edit history)

Posted

Are there any downsides? I don't see any. Do it. Get your hours done early and have a relatively good time doing it.

Also, ololololol at people who need 150 hours. <<

Posted

??

Wtf?

Okay, so since in order to pass High School I need to do 40 Volunteer hours,

Wouldn't they be... Not volunteer hours, then?

Also, you should go for it if you have the ability to help.

Sahaqiel

Posted

??

Wtf?

Wouldn't they be... Not volunteer hours, then?

Also, you should go for it if you have the ability to help.

Sahaqiel

Yeah, I guess they technically contradict themselves when they tell us we have to do Volunteer hours lol. Oh well.

Thanks for the input G333 and Saha! =) Honestly, 2 hours of my weekends isn't bad, so I think I'll take it.

I still have to apply, though. ^^; I don't know how many people are going up for the job, but 4 positions are available, so I hope there isn't a big crowd of people or anything.

*works on resume*

Posted

yeah, sounds like a great oppurtunity, if you think you're really going to enjoy it, then go for it!

Posted

Go for it!

I hardly believe that kind of thing exists, but cool anyway.

And I need your opinions, What do you think of my new name, avatar and signature?

The signature took a while, but I could have done it better I guess.

Posted

Omg you are sooooooooooooo lucky we have to do 150 hours with a charity (Purple heart, salvation army, habitat for humanity) EVERY YEAR OF HIGH SCHOOL!!!!!

Posted

*blink blink blink*

Volunteer hours to graduate highschool? WTF!? We never had such a thing, and how is it volunteering if you are required to do it?... :wacko:

150 hours!?!?!? THAT'S INSANE! I've never heard or suc madness! We only needed ZERO HOURS!

Posted (edited)

Go for it!

I hardly believe that kind of thing exists, but cool anyway.

Believe me, I was just as surprised as you are when I found out about it! :lol:

yeah, sounds like a great oppurtunity, if you think you're really going to enjoy it, then go for it!

Thanks GL. I'm just waiting on a few written references from some teachers etc. for my resume. ^^

Omg you are sooooooooooooo lucky we have to do 150 hours with a charity (Purple heart, salvation army, habitat for humanity) EVERY YEAR OF HIGH SCHOOL!!!!!

Ouch. x_x Wow, that's a little over the top. Have you got any hours done?

We only needed ZERO HOURS!

=O Lucky!

So I phoned up the library and spoke to the woman in charge of this whole thing, and it seems I've been picked for one of the 4 positions. :D I just have to go through this 2-hour training session (although... a 2 hour training session just to show kids how to play Wii, set up and take down the Wii, and talk with Library Staff? Seems a little odd to me) sometime soon. And I'm just waiting on a few written references from some of my teachers so I can add them to my resume. =)

Edited by Saria_Kokiri (see edit history)

Posted

I still don't see how this is voluntary?

Also, Jesus, who goes two hours just to learn that?

Sahaqiel

Posted

LOL@the poor person who has to do service hours.

Sorry, it just caught me as funny....

Posted

Also, Jesus, who goes two hours just to learn that?

Sahaqiel

I know! There's got to be more they're going to go over with us. Then again, they'll still have to introduce us, give us log books, and teach us all of the other stuff.

Still... 2 hours!? o_0

Posted

"OK, so, we must go through a training regiment that will test your reflexes, and your ability to throw yourself in harm's way, as a sacrifice to our brand new televisions. Incidentally, you must also fill out these mandatory disclaimer forms.

Remember, this is only voluntary. But, you know, if you don't do it, you don't graduate high school, thus ruining your future for you and your possible children, if you even survive our tests.

All escapees will be tazed.

RAISE YOUR WII ARM UP! DOWN! LEFT! RIGHT! STOP CRYING.

UP! DOWN! LEFT! RIGHT!"

Sahaqiel

Posted

*blink blink blink*

Volunteer hours to graduate highschool? WTF!? We never had such a thing, and how is it volunteering if you are required to do it?... :wacko:

150 hours!?!?!? THAT'S INSANE! I've never heard or suc madness! We only needed ZERO HOURS!

Yeah, Same with my school.

But what I think is funny is that some people actually get paid to stay on until sixth year. Because you can actually leave when you're 16. So you get paid to go to school. About time.

Posted

Our school gives rewards to people who get all their hours down by mid-terms.

You get a free medium drink from the school store every day (Chocolate milk, coffee, hot chocolate, ect)