Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Patent a sign of next Zelda going casual?

17 posts in this topic

Posted

Reports of a patent filed to be used on the next [i]Zelda[/i] installment reinforce speculation that the next game will go a little more casual than we think.

------

Shigeru Miyamoto, the creator of the [i]Zelda[/i] franchise, applied for [url="http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=Nintendo.AS.&OS=AN/Nintendo&RS=AN/Nintendo"]patenting[/url] a hint system and a selection screen reminiscent of a DVD scene selection. The patent itself includes:

[quote]* Main game: Play through the game from start to end as normal with an optional hint system. Veteran players can enjoy the challenge while less experienced players can get an occasional helping hand.

* Digest: The game shows important scenes in the game, both cut-scene and gameplay, in order (it basically plays itself). You have the option of stopping the digest at any time and playing the 'scene' yourself with relevant equipment and powers. You can't save the game in this mode.

* Scenes: Play through any puzzle or 'scene' in the game with appropriate equipment and powers. A bit like a DVD movie's scene selection.

Courtesy of [url="http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=205631"]CVG[/url][/quote]

Posted

Okay, the hint thing is just kinda stupid. I'd actually like to play around with the "scenes" thing though, sounds like fun, but if they're going casual then I wouldn't get my hopes up high.

Posted

The hint thing really doesn't seem as new as it sounds. [i]Ocarina of Time[/i] had one. It was called Navi. [i]Majora's Mask[/i] had one. It was called Tatl. [i]The Minish Cap[/i] had one. It was called Ezlo. [i]Twilight Princess[/i] had one. It was called Midna. It just so happens that if this is implemented, it's an actual on-screen command this time around.

Posted

As did all of the other games. The Legend of Zelda had the Old Men. Adventure of Link II had the towns people. A Link to the Past had the telepathic block things. Link's Awakening had the owl and the stone tablets. The Oracles had the Maku and other tree after dungeons and any time you needed it. Four Swords didn't need a helping system, really. Wind Waker had the Pirate's Charm or whatever it was called. Four Swords Adventure also had the owl, I think. Phantom Hourglass had the guy who let's you ride his ship.

All games need a help system, at least. This time, Nintendo's just giving you the chance to get rid of it since they seemed to figure out that everyone thinks their new help systems are ravver annoying, namely Navi and Tatl. While I'm not annoyed at all by them, it seems they're noticed and want to be nice.

I WONDER WHAT THE HELP SYSTEM WILL CALLED, IF IT'S AN OBJECT OF SOME SORT OR A PERSON.

OR MAYBE IT'S A ROBOT.

Posted

It sounds alright. I don't really care about that stuff though. As long as the game is good, I don't care about the extras.

Posted

Oh My God! ITS A SIGN OF THE APOCOLAPSE!EVERY ONE RUN FOR YOUR LIFE

Posted

Hmm... I was skeptical at first, but this has potential. This means Nintendo will be free to crank up the difficulty without frustrating newcomers. I am a little worried that it may make the games too linear (one of TP's biggest issues) but it does have many possible applications. For one thing, the scene selection option opens the door to [b]replayable boss battles[/b]! :woot: So, yes, I am a little worried, but Miyamoto has failed to disappoint so far, so I'm willing to give him a chance. I just hope this doesn't get screwed up like so many other good ideas I've heard from Nintendo.

Posted

Hmm...the optional hint system sounds identical to the one in the metroid prime games. Maybe there's more to it than the patent says?

Posted

If it is like that I will rentit, but not buy it. I want more hardcore zeldas. Not casual. that is for the DS. If this is for Wii it will just add to the wii's love hate rep of being too casual.

Posted

Optional hint system? Great :D I'll turn it off to crank up the difficulty :D

Posted

Hmm... sounds rather annoying, but I wouldn't mind replaying boss battles and stuff, especially if they're hardcore. (Many Zelda bosses disapointed me...)

Posted

Hmm...doesn't sound too bad. Like everyone else mentioned, there was plenty of hint systems in the other ones.

You know what other game implements this though, is the new Alone in the Dark game. It's basically the same thing: AN interactive DVD-esque scene select that lets you beat the game at your own pace.

There's actually tons of fun you could have with this, especially for speed-runners and newbies alike.

Posted

The scene thing sounds really cool. This might get interesting... :embarrassed:

Posted

The scene selection idea sounds really good. I guess that means that you can go back and forth to different parts of the game with equipment that you would have at that point in the game, am I understanding this right ? Sounds cool, though. I just hope that the game is good.

Posted

Well that information does sound interesting...and a little scary... I myself thought TP was too easy but it was still fun. But I have been hoping and praying for difficulty settings on a Zelda game, so the moment I get it I can crank up the difficulty to super cry my eyes out all night hard... (don