Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Falling in love online

32 posts in this topic

Posted

I don't think it's a good thing. Seeing as you don't know the person that well. They may not be who they seem at first.

I also think that the people in the commercials for dating websites aren't really serious about their experience. I think they just pay random people to do it, but hey that's just me.

Posted

No, I don't think so. I think people need to interact face-to-face. I do, anyways.

Posted

No, I don't think so. I think people need to interact face-to-face. I do, anyways.

I agree. :unsure:

Posted

This autobiographical webcomic I read called Allan had one recently about some 'e-lationships'. This was part of the long side note with the unrelated comic.

"One day, a reader sent me an e-mail talking about his internet relationship. He told me how he and a girl he met waited five years for each other. Throughout the time they were madly in love, but they dated other people (though none of them filled that void) to reduce the loneliness that the distance brought on. Finally, after five years, the two met up, still madly in love with one-another, and were then moving in together."

Nice example, but that would be pretty rare to see.

If you're smart, it doesn't have to end badly like some we hear about.

Posted

Guy meets girl online. Girl looks attractive in picture. Guy and girl e-date for a few months, are madly in love, and decide to arrange a meeting. Guy meets girl in real life. Girl is actually not that attractive, so she used a picture of her more attractive roommate. Girl thinks that since the guy has connected with her on a deeper, emotional level, her looks will not matter. Girl learns painful lesson about human nature.

This is how most internet relationships go. Not all, but most.

Posted

... Wow, guys. This topic can make people feel bad, ya know. I have friends that live across the country from each other, but have strong feelings. I wouldn't be one to date online, but it's works for them. I say go for what works.

Besides, with webcam chats and such now, situations like what people are usually afraid of are easily avoided. I don't think it matters how far apart you are. It just matters how you feel.

Posted

That was one awesome post, Kitty.

Posted

I was in a net relationship, once when i was MUCH younger, but I knew the girl IRL and then she moved away when I sorta liked her and it went from there. So we werent complete strangers.

I wouldnt have thought falling in love like that was possible, if it hadnt happened to me.

We kept in constant contact with all sorts - texts, calls, emails but MSN mostly, we both had webcams so we'd chat with them which made it a bit more real (in my mind at least). It lasted two-ish years, which I think is a decent amount of time. But in hindsight I probably should've spent my time chasing more physical girls.

IMO, internet relationships are stupid and I am aware of my hypocracy. With all the worlds technology, you cant beat another humans touch.

Posted

With all the worlds technology, you cant beat another humans touch.

I agree.

Posted

Unless the only human you want to touch is the one you're having an e-relationship with.

BTW, my previous post was referring specifically to relationships that start on the internet. Relationships that start in real life but have to be sustained over the internet for a few years because of distance are a different story.

Posted (edited)

With all the worlds technology, you cant beat another humans touch.

While I believe that I agree with your statement, it has YET to ever happen to me, so I can't say something that has a 100% assurance. I don't view online relationships as such, stupid at all. What I do find stupid, however, is when people randomly go and achieve a 'bf' or 'gf' (Termonalogy that I absolutely loathe, I see them as idiotic and disrespectful terms to refer to as your partner). This behavior can be seen on the internet in many many places. Whether it's chatrooms, runescape, and even several forums. This is behavior that I can't help but look down upon. I see no love in such a relationship, this is what I would assume to simply be the satisfaction to idiotic desires.

When I took a look into this topic, I admit, I did take a small amount of offense. Though, it is nothing to worry about. I can understand that everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and your opinions aren't illogical at all. I am currently in an online relationship, one that I could see maturing to an offline relationship. Naturally, relationships are something I avoid. People just aren't my thing, I don't get them. Which is why it is quite amazing that I am in a relationship. Now, I'm not going to go on about how she's the greatest person in the world. That's simply my own opinion that I believe to be true, but not everyone shares similar views. I will say that she makes me incredibly happy. Which is quite... A change from how I used to be. I was what I guess I would call, an ill person. I was greatly hurt because of the events that took course as I grew up. I won't say what they are, they are very personal. Besides, who really wants to hear me ramble on? That'll only convince people that I'm a whining child. Which I am not, but I shall not deny that I had a very bad childhood.

My partner and I live across the US, so that explains why we spend our time together online. Personally, I don't think I could arouse a relationship such as ours offline. People and I don't mix well, as I have said. (I'm also very ugly, she doesn't seem to think so though. Silly.) I won't tell you the whole story but, I can assure you... I am the reason that the groupboard sketcher was placed on hyrule.net! She and I met there, call me some supernatural freak. I immediately developed some sort of feeling for her. This is what I would normally object to, if someone had said this to me. Though, I am more connected to things on the internet than offline. So I guess it's some sort of... Weird Adaption from living here, practically. After a while, we admitted our love for eachother. Nowadays, we're spending the majority of the day together. Via webcam, and chat. Now, typing that... I feel quite silly. I do not regret saying that, for it is the way that she and I stay connected. As Cat Girl pointed out earlier, if that's the way it works, then go for it. The distance between the two of us is unimportant, all that truly matters is how we feel towards eachother. Now, I'm not trying to preach to anyone. If you choose to continue to view online relationships negatively or positively, that's all up to you. We do someday hope and believe that our relationship will pass on into offline life. We both plan on making this work. Being seperated by distance is a hassle but, if our love is strong enough... It'll prosper past that. If not, then... It's something new to have experienced. Although, I highly doubt that second one. So as Arcanelord has spoke of face-to-face interaction... It is something that the two of us are someday planning to achieve. I am absolutely certain that our love is real, and I am not ashamed of saying this... c: For it is not that kind of idiotic relationship I had provided in paragraph 1!

I feel a little bit foolish, but it was all necessary to get my point/views across. I am sorry if it bothers anyone, but I have set my font size to '1' so it didn't take up as much space. If it's too bothersome, please state so and I'll change it.

Edited by Vio Milanor (see edit history)

Posted

I agree with Vio...

Seems that some of you have an incredibly narrow view of internet relationships. It's not all, "HEY YOU LOOK SEXY, LET'S HOOK UP AND YOU CAN BE MAH GURRRRRRL."

No.

For God's sake, no. I don't believe in those relationships that last one week, day, whatever. In my book, it can't even be considered a relationship. And that happens in real life too, also with human touch. e.e So does that make it better? No. I actually think it's worse, because most of the time, I think you'll find that those relationships will end in a bad result. I'm sure you all know what I mean by that.

Anyway, there are plenty of couples that have met online and have gone on to take their relationship out to the real world. Falling in love with someone over the internet is not a bad thing. Us who are in one are fully capable of showing care and affection through this use of communication. Just because we do it differently doesn't mean it's not right.

Failure of a point made, I will now shut the hell up.

Posted

You two make a good point, and I never had anything against e-dating, but I still think people should interact in person. If nothing else, to know that they are the human beings you think they are. It's hard to understand or trust people online. Even if people are telling the truth, you're just reading words. They can easily be misworded or misinterpreted and often lack a feeling of real emotion. I'll admit webcams are a good substitute if seeing a person in flesh isn't possible, but it's still not quite the same. But, if that's how you want to do it, and you feel good about it, that's fine. That's what I think anyways. I lack experience, so you don't have to take my words too seriously.

Posted

It's not that we WANT to do it that way, but it's the best possible way that we can currently afford.