Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

video religion

57 posts in this topic

Posted

This video made me think watch the entire thing and read through it.

Posted

tl;dr

Posted

Interesting. Not a big fan of the song since I've heard it so much, but otherwise very interesting.

Granted, it could be a coincidence. I choose to think that it isn't.

Posted

I will say a few things now.

One, I sincerely doubt this ever happened. Not because the chalk didn't break, but because the whole scenario is completely ridiculous. As the Gunpowder Treason has taught us, people will stand up for what they believe even if drastic measures are taken, and even if they are, it just makes rebellion more likely. In twenty years, three hundred individuals each, no one has said, "Oh hey, I believe in God".

No.

From the religious people I've met, no. That wouldn't have gone down. And people not seeing the flaws in this? Like how the concept of a God apparently doesn't follow logic, no matter how impeccable? Even most Atheists realize that you can't disprove God either. Saying no one brought this up would be a blow to the idea of human intelligence.

Also, the professor "ran out of the lecture hall" and then the student proceeded to preach about Jesus for a half hour?

No one would sit down and listen to that. I mean, some might, but I'm thinking the majority would have realized they're professorless and it's the end of the semester so they'd just go somewhere else or daydream. Also, it makes him out for a crybaby, which brings me to my next point.

This is Christian propaganda. This is not an unbiased story. It makes Atheists seem big bad, oppressive, and scary, and the Christians the only ones willing to stand up for their beliefs which, under the now apparently hell-based society, are made out to be oppressed and outnumbered. At the end, it tells you it's just to make you think, but it's asking a bunch of rhetorical questions with a definitive holier-than-thou air that definitely don't make you think for yourself.

As a side note, I'd like to say that a professor so used to unquestioning students might have just got really flustered. In times of stress, people tend to blunder. I'd be surprised, too, if, out of 6000 students, one just decided to rebel over the period of twenty years.

I'm not saying the professor was right. He sounds like a jerk, plain and simple. Even I would have giggled gleefully if he got what was coming to him.

But this video isn't right either. :/

Sahaqiel

Posted

I see your points but it could happen. There is a possibility that it could have happened and you could be wrong I'm not saying that you are seeing as how I have no proof but neither do you. So I'm not gonna argue. Although I will make my point known. It could so have happened that all of the students before him were scared of what the professor would do or say. its a possibility that out of three hundred students a year over a course of 20 years didn't have as strong feelings for there religion or they could have just dis believed him through the whole year and just kept quiet at the end. There is my point is my point and I stick to it

Posted

Contrary to the video's implications, Christians are not oppressed and outnumbered.

One out of six thousand is preposterous.

Also, if most or some of the students didn't believe there could be a God, then why did all of them stay for the Jesus lecture.

Christians aren't the only ones who hold firm to their beliefs.

Sahaqiel

Posted

it didn't happen, it is actually part of a sermon, though I can't remember who wrote it, he wrote the story to show the power of one person standing up for their faith, and admitted off the bat that it never happened in record. There are four or five variations of this story. It is meant to be uplifting, and to help people of faith be more outspoken about it. It's a good story and a nice thought but it never happened.

Posted

Ok so its not real but its not like it couldn't happen.

Posted

This video doesn't portray the situation that well, then.

This video just made me disgusted at people.

Sahaqiel

Posted

ok then saha

Posted

It could happen. Also, there aren't as many Christians as you think, Sahaqiel. Real ones, anyway. There are many religious people, but very few Christians, if you know what I mean. I'm trying very hard to move into the realm of Christian and away from religious, which are two very different things entirely.

Posted

A religious person would still definitely say something.

Sahaqiel

Posted

At the risk of being embarrassed in front of their peers? Doubtful. Sure, they may scoff under their breath, or talk behind the prof's back, but they probably wouldn't stand up.

Posted

I don't think it's doubtful. All he does is drop chalk.

It's not like he controls the actions of God and God has to yield to his mundane tasks.

Even I, who don't believe in your God, and leaning towards not believing in one at all, can come to that conclusion.

Besides, after that, they never really have to see that teacher again.

Sahaqiel

Posted

Our opinions differ, Sahaqiel. No point in arguing, so I accept your answer and you accept mine. Let's move on.