Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

video religion

57 posts in this topic

Posted

Ha I dated an atheist for 9 month and it was terrible when we tried to talk about religion and Christianity.

Posted

I'm not an atheist, but I'm not so christian anymore. I don't really want to listen to somebody talk to me about god. I hear enough of that as is. But, I think if I were lying on my deathbed, I'd be okay with somebody trying to send me off with a smile, regardless of their beliefs or relations. Somebody was trying to do a good deed. they had good intentions. I wouldn't mind seeing something like that on my death bed. Even if I were the victim of a terrorist attack(probably).

Posted

No, because he presumes to know my intentions.

I got it. I know you want to save his soul and whatnot. At first, sure, I thought it was for malicious intent because I jumped to conclusions and your comment seemed jerkfaced. "I'd love to talk to him on his deathbed". That seems really sinister.

But I understand your intentions. However, I do not agree that it would be right to shovel them onto someone who's already one foot in the grave and unwilling to listen.

Sahaqiel

Posted

From my point of view, though, it's better late than never. Especially if he feels alone. Would you want to die feeling alone? I mean, okay if he didn't want to talk about it and wanted to be left alone fine, but he'd probably be pretty scared. I'd really like to know what's going on inside his head and not just what spills out of his mouth onstage.

Posted

That's why I hate Christianity. It's such a self-centered religion. In you're mind, you're helping, but what you are really doing is intruding in on other people's beliefs and saying, I know you think you're right, but you're wrong. Let me help you with this "illness" of godlessness. You say that from your point of view, you are helping, and to you, nothing can change that, but to everyone else who doesn't believe what you believe, you are just being an annoying little Christian, and as long as you try to make other people believe what you believe, you will always be an annoying Christian. Before you say anything, just think about how imposing one's beliefs on another can be a bad thing. Religion was made as a stepping stone for morality, not a boat that takes us the whole way. Reading the Bible and interpreting its teachings literally makes you miss the point of the stories in the Bible, because the stories are not meant to be read that way. Everything is just an epic metaphor for the way we should lead our lives. If you wished to talk to Mr. Carlin about the morality of the Christian faith, and its dogma, as opposed to a literal translation of your faith's holy writings, I'm cool with that.

Posted

But don't you see, Min? Christianity isn't about moral choices. It's not about being perfect. To be a Christian, you HAVE to be a flawed human being. The point of Christianity is to show that Jesus is God in human form, and to show that God wants a personal relationship with us and isn't just a omnipotent presence in the sky. Jesus died so that our sins, our flaws, can be forgiven. Jesus Christ was a real person, and he wasn't in his tomb three days after his death. Take that however you like, but suddenly after that hundreds of people became Christians for no good reason at all. When he was alive, he taught with authority, produced many miracles, and cast out demons. The pharisees claimed that he was doing the work of satan, but he countered with "Why would satan send me to cast out demons?" meaning it would have been counterproductive to satan's overall plan if Jesus was casting out demons for satan. He claimed to be God, a thing that no other prophet for any religion has ever done. You can deny Christianity, but there's proof that Jesus was real and we've never found his body. I cant' offer you anything else, you can say it isn't real but you have no proof that isn't.

Posted

But what I'm saying is that the Bible was not meant to be taken literally, and that the story of Jesus we should reflect in our lives as a form of guidance rather than fact.

Posted

For the record, the point I was making earlier was that If I were on my deathbed, I wouldn't mind somebody coming in and saying a couple things about what they believe and how it will affect me when I'm dead. The fact that that person decided to do something like try to help someone on their death bed is a good sign.

I mean, the road to heaven is paved with good intentions, right? So doesn't that mean that if somebody does something, as long as they think there doing a good thing, that means they're good people, and they're good to go when they die, right? Lionheart and Min are both very different people religiously, but they're both good people I think.

On a sort of a side note, Min are you a Presbyterian?

Posted

That's why I hate Christianity. It's such a self-centered religion.

You hang your spite on the nearest windmill, go a tilting, and that sort of disregard for others exudes beneficence? Lead by example, first, don Quixote. I think its ironic how we assume comfort was something Carlin enjoyed. I'll always remember him as Mr. Conductor and the seven words man, an uncomfortable duo.

But what I'm saying is that the Bible was not meant to be taken literally, and that the story of Jesus we should reflect in our lives as a form of guidance rather than fact.

Of course it was meant to be taken literally. Three fifths of it is an exiled peoples' history and meaning. An entire book is legalism, for crying out loud. Parables dot the Gospel, then there's Acts, and everything after is a letter, including Revelations. Its "heavily" literal.

Posted

For the record, the point I was making earlier was that If I were on my deathbed, I wouldn't mind somebody coming in and saying a couple things about what they believe and how it will affect me when I'm dead. The fact that that person decided to do something like try to help someone on their death bed is a good sign.

I mean, the road to heaven is paved with good intentions, right? So doesn't that mean that if somebody does something, as long as they think there doing a good thing, that means they're good people, and they're good to go when they die, right? Lionheart and Min are both very different people religiously, but they're both good people I think.

On a sort of a side note, Min are you a Presbyterian?

No, agnostic.

Posted

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions," meaning that many good people have and will go to hell. Everyone good, bad, ugly, pretty, short, fat, tall, skinny...everyone deserves hell, because we are separated from God by sin. Separation from God, that's the literal definition of hell. Jesus died so that separation caused by sin could be broken, and we could allow God back into our lives. God is the only one who can save us from hell, that is what Christianity teaches. You'll never get to heaven by donating to charity or tending to the sick, though those are both very good things to do. It's a much deeper problem that you face than a constant battle between good and evil, though you do face that battle everyday. The real battle has already been won by God, and we can lay claim to that victory if we trust in Him. If we try to win on our own, we'll never be good enough. You can never be good enough. Ever. No one can. It's much more relieving to just trust that everything will work out. Simply talking to God builds trust, just like any other relationship. He isn't looking for perfect people, he's looking for humble sinners.

Min, the Bible was meant to be taken literally. Not in every part, mind you, but the majority is meant literally.

Posted

"....Then mankind would have become as the Great Old Ones; free and wild and beyond good and evil, with laws and morals thrown aside and all men shouting and killing and revelling in joy. Then the liberated Old Ones would teach them new ways to shout and kill and revel and enjoy themselves, and all the earth would flame with a holocaust of ecstasy and freedom."

A holocaust of ecstasy and freedom. Oh, how I wish it were this way.