Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Goddess of Sand

46 posts in this topic

Posted

Fierce Deity's japanese name translates to "Devil God" so Fierce Deity might not have been a nice entity.

Also, considering how link transforms into the spirits of dead beings, you'd have to assume that the FD is not living, but his spirit lives on in the mask.

I think that Fierce Deity is just Link's Terminian counterpart, nothing special.

or Tingles conterpart LOL

Posted

Worth noteing: Din isn't a Gerudo in Seasons. She's a Hylian with dark skin. Check out her ears.

Posted

yay I said something worth notingn_n.gif

Posted

coulda swerr

Either way, Fierce Deity being the Goddess of Sand doesn't make a lot of sense at all.

Saying we'll never know doesn't make it any more likely.

Also, Tingle lives in Termina.

I dunno how his Terminan counterpart could be in Termina.

Sahaqiel

Posted

coulda swerr

Either way, Fierce Deity being the Goddess of Sand doesn't make a lot of sense at all.

Saying we'll never know doesn't make it any more likely.

Also, Tingle lives in Termina.

I dunno how his Terminan counterpart could be in Termina.

Sahaqiel

I was makeing a joke sheeesh that what the LOL meant to tell you

Posted

I was also making a joke.

Posted

Why would they make a God(ess) that wasn't even in the game? Its not like people can discover God(ess)es in the game and call them true.

Posted

Good point Jareddude.

Posted

Personally, I don't believe the Goddess of Sand even exists at all. She may have come from an ancient Gerudo tradition concerning Din, but then again it is just as likely that she is simply a heathen Goddess that has no reality beyond that of the desert people's religions.

As for the Fierce Deity, he likely does not exist as a true "God" of any kind. I believe that he, like Majora, began life as little more than an enchanted mask. This mask was used to bring its wearer power in battle, giving them strength to over come their foes. However, as with Majora, over time it began absorbing the emotions and feelings of those that used it, growing more powerful each time. Unlike Majora's Mask, it did not thrive on feelings of bitterness and loneliness, but on emotions like rage and vengence. It is possible that the two masks were actually used against one another, seeing as they both very powerful, and the Fierce Deity's Mask (as it came to be called, as they believed it invoked a Devil God) came into the hands of Majora itself. Link recieved it because, as Majora reasoned, their game of "Good guys against Bad guys" would make little since if Link was not evil. Majora indeed saw the mask as being an evil being, because, contray to Majora itself, who tried to soothe loneliness and saddness with "fun and games", the Fierce Deity's Mask satisfied the desire to destroy and carry out vengence.

Posted

That was a lot of fan fiction, there, Ivo-Goji.

Posted

Not really, the idea is more or less implied by what we know to be canon. Most of the other theories regarding the Fierce Deity are pretty fanfiction-ny anyway, as there is so little to go on.

All of the masks in game except Majora and the Fierce Deity are created from the spirits of dead people (besides those like the Bunny Hood that seem to be of 'normal' make), but function as simple magical objects that transform the wearer. Majora's Mask does not do this at all, while the FD's Mask is never given a clear origin, only an unexplained connection to Majora. MM clearly draws power in some way from the emotions and memories of those that use it, playing on Skull Kid's loneliness and taking on aspects of his personality, blowing them out of perportion in the process. Majora in a way fulfills its wearer's wishes, but only as a means to cause destruction. The Fierce Deity, in contrast to Majora's child-like behavior and chaotic purpose, is very serious and his powers, while beyond that of any ordinary mortal aren't as cosmic in scope. Yet he also appears to embody anger and rage, as he stands incredably tall, his eyes lack pupils (which is often used to represent rage), and his whole countanence is dark and unfriendly, that of the 'Devil God'. If this being was once a Terminian, then we would have to assume he aquired his powers from some unknown source, seeing as they are almost up to match with Majora and Ganondorf. This means making up some random power object, for no other purpose then giving an origin to another power object that already exists in a game. Therefore the easiest answer is to say the Fierce Deity get his abilities from the same source as MM- the emotions of many wearers.

From this I crudely conjecture that the FD's Mask was made to turn people into mighty warriors, and over time it consumed the fury and vengfullness of its users, becoming a demonic entity that rivaled Majora's Mask. As some point they were used against each other, and Majora then took the FD's mask and kept until Link came to fight him, deciding to give it to him so they could play their "game" fairly.

While this idea does indeed take enough leeps and assumptions to be considered fanfiction, it doesn't really use any more assumptions then the next Fierce Deity theory.

Posted

No, no, this is a lot of fan fiction.

5/24 of the masks are transformation masks, and 3/5 were definitively made by spirits. The Giant's Mask wasn't quite given an origin, and the Fierce Deity Mask was in Majora's/Mask's possession in the first place.

Plus, all the spirit related transformation masks are just that. Transformation masks. Majora's Mask was in possession the whole time, or Skull Kid would have transformed into Majora's Wrath right away. Sure, maybe Majora's Mask toyed around with Skull Kid's head, but in the end, Skull Kid was just a puppet and Majora's Mask didn't need his help at all, save maybe transportation and a means of growing stronger. It would be less of a leap to assume that the Happy Mask Salesman, being the mask expert he is, somehow weakened Majora's Mask enough to possess it without it retaliating. Then when it was stolen, Majora's Mask awoke and started recuperating on Skull Kid's face. Majora's Mask didn't necessarily have to draw on his weaknesses.

Since the Fierce Deity Mask has no relation to Majora's Mask other than Majora's/Mask had it in its possession at the time. Fierce Deity Mask does indeed embody a frightfully powerful warrior, but I can't see it as sapping emotions as a power source. Link wasn't affected at all for wearing it.

All I can say it that I wish the Fierce Deity Mask had a more clear origin. Rather, I wish the Fierce Deity Mask HAD an origin.

Posted

I disagree with your take on Majora and the Skull Kid. The Mask was clearly drawing power out of him, not just biding time to recuperate. For one, all of the actions the Skull Kid carried out while possessed by the Mask were utterly pointless to any end- they achieved nothing, save it were to amuse either Majora or the Skull Kid. Nearly every action, other than imprisoning the Four Giants, did nothing to help his goal of destroying Termina. Just random chaos at other people's expense. Further, the Mask seemed to already be at its full power when it was stolen- right of the bat it tried crashing the moon into the planet. Why bother hanging around on the Skull Kid's face for any length of time if it could warp reality and make its own wishes come true?

The Skull Kid is far more then a mere puppet in MM's plan. Everything the Mask does is a reflection of the Skull Kid's own thoughts and personality. The changing of the Moon, the stealing of Epona, the curses cast all over Termina- this is nothing more than the Skull Kid's pranks and practical jokes on a grand scale. The Mask has possessed the Skull Kid's body, yes, but Majora's mind is little different form his own. Even for the short time when we see Majora separated from the Skull Kid, it seems to continue fixing on the emotions he felt when he stole the Mask. The scene on the Moon of the strange little meadow with the kids running around playing makes this most clear: while his four friends (the Four Giants) go about having fun, the boy with Majora's Mask (the Skull Kid) is off to the side, alone. The Skull Kid had been full of loneliness and rejection- the Mask tried to heal its wearer with its own brand of "fun".

Nearly every devisable aspect we can grasp of Majora's personality- abandonment, micheviousness, childishness, cruelty- can be applied to the Skull Kid. Only Majora takes every trait to an extreme that defies all sanity. The Skull Kid is not a puppet to Majora. The Skull Kid is Majora.

The Mask is described as once being used in an ancient tribe's hexing rituals. Who ever created it intended to use it for casting curses and, it would seem, fulfilling wishes. That is just what the Mask does- only it nearly destroys the world in the process. How could any artifact this powerful exist for so many generations without blowing up Termina already? If Majora has always had a mind of its own, it would have destroyed everything a long time ago. Atleast it would have a grander description then the ritual mask of some ancient people. Its power must have grown over time, as it was used it became stronger, feeding off of people's emotions- as it does to the Skull Kid. Eventually, it reached the God-like abilities seen in the game, and then took on a personality of its own, that of its latest weilder.

How does this apply to the Fierce Deity? Well, frankly, it doesn't. As you said, he has no origin at all- the mask just shows up.

However, the desire to come up with an explanation for the mysterious being is too strong to leave it at that. The Fierce Deity's power is close to that of Majora's, true? Making up a Four Triforce part or trying to add a new God to the Zelda universe is too crazy a measure to bother with. Instead, I applied the same theory I believed worked for Majora, and concluded he had a similar origin. The FD does seem to be an antithesis to Majora- he is a thing of rage and is modeled on Adult Link, MM is a creature of saddness and acts like a child (also, think of how much FD and Majora's Wrath have in common...)- so the concept honestly isn't that far'fetched. As for why Link wasn't harmed while wearing the mask if it was feeding off his emotions, this could be attributed to the fact that he only uses it briefly in the last boss fight, where as the Skull Kid ran around with Majora on for days. Besides, I didn't say that it needed to suck the life out him, just gain power from his feelings.

Is my theory fanfiction? In a way, yes it is, but that doesn't make it any less credible.

Posted

STFU YOU TITTY MONSTER

Posted

Ivo-goji WHY DO YOU KEEP MAKING TL;DR POSTS MY EYES HURT ;__;

also, yes, fan-fiction does make your ideas less credible.

I doubt that Majora's Mask became a reflection of the skull kid or anything like that, because it showed be perfectly sentient at the end of the game.

The Fierce Deity mask is also a transformation mask. The 3 other transformation masks in the game house dead spirits within them. I'm sure the FD mask is no different, and I doubt it's comparable to Majora's Mask.