Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

My Fathers side (of the family) thinks I'm an idiot!

21 posts in this topic

Posted

I don't know my dads family all that well and now I don't think I want to. You see for some reason they think I'm slow (or stupid, retarded). The few times I talk to them on the phone they, and it almost sounds as if they're...I don't know, talking down to me.

I'm in school part time and studying (among other things) Quantum Mechanics. And somehow they've got it in their heads that I'm studying to be a mechanic as in a guy who fixes cars. I try to describe what QM is and it's like trying to explain Television to a goldfish. And frankly I'm done trying to explain, then again what can you expect from a bunch of southern hicks!

Posted

When they ask you how to fix their car give them a picture out of your textbook of like the motherpuppying hadron collider and be like "it is your muffler that's the problem. This is a picture of it. Show it to your mechanic and he'll be able to pick the correct one for your make and model."

Posted

When they ask you how to fix their car give them a picture out of your textbook of like the motherpuppying hadron collider and be like "it is your muffler that's the problem. This is a picture of it. Show it to your mechanic and he'll be able to pick the correct one for your make and model."

Goddam kimmy I am lolling.

Posted

I feel yea. Parts of my family think that I'm "dark" when in reality, I'm made of sunshine and bubblegum floss. Are they active in your life? If not, I don't see the big deal if they don't understand you. It's not like you have to entertain them.

Posted

I feel yea. Parts of my family think that I'm "dark" when in reality, I'm made of sunshine and bubblegum floss. Are they active in your life? If not, I don't see the big deal if they don't understand you. It's not like you have to entertain them.

It's the fact that they don't understand that pisses me off most. Like when my Aunt Catherine calls every time the conversation always ends up on "So hows the Mechanic work going?" and the way she says it is so smug like I'm less than her son the community college dropout Michael. I wish I had the stones to tell her off but I know that eventually it'll filter back to my father and I'll never hear the end of it.

Posted

Your story has me kinda angry. Your father's family sounds bleh. I don't know what to say

Posted

You have an Aunt Cathrine from your father's side too?!

I understand how you feel; My stepmom treats me and my brother like a couple of American hicks. It pisses me right off. also both my Stepmom and my Aunt Cathrine made some nasty comments on the possibility that I might become a transvestite, which made me want to strangle both of them.

Posted

then again what can you expect from a bunch of southern hicks!

Not much, they're all jackasses.

Posted

take an IQ test and make them do the same, compare your results.

Posted

That's totally not insulting to force someone to take an IQ test.

Posted

You have an Aunt Cathrine from your father's side too?!

Me too actually. If we're counting dead aunties.

Brain tumours suck.

Posted

I have an aunt beth. But I call her Uncle Beth. Even though she's a woman. Also she used to be a dentist and magically pulled my teeth without them hurting, somehow.

That's totally not insulting to force someone to take an IQ test.

Well, they started it.

Posted

Well, they started it.

exactly

Posted

I have an aunt beth. But I call her Uncle Beth. Even though she's a woman. Also she used to be a dentist and magically pulled my teeth without them hurting, somehow.

I also had an aunt who was good with teeth. She restructured jaws and whatnot.

And then she died of a brain tumour.

I never really knew her which kind of sucks.

Posted

Dude I understand and that's really shitty. Quantum anything is so beyond me...props to you. Coming from the English/Romance Languages double major here. :<

My brother and I are the only ones in our family who went/are attending public universities. Everyone else, it's community college.