Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Become Immortal, Upload your mind

42 posts in this topic

Posted

I would just because I want to live to see technology pushed into a new age.

I think we're actually really close. Just look at our phones. I kinda expect paper and books to become almost obsolete within 20 years.

As far as 2045 goes, go back 50 years from now and you land in 1960. Weren't things just a little different back then?

Posted

I swear to god I thought of this last night after I turned off my computer and was lying in bed.

Humans.

Combined with robots.

Transformers.

/thread

But seriously, I also read that this new age is supposed to be the next paradigm shift, though I would imagine evolution would be a much bigger shift than a step. The whole world and life as we know it will be revolutionized, and we're sitting here trying to apply modern society to it. Think of all the possibilities! Communism could work if people can turn their working bodies on cruise control so they can do other things while they work. Or better yet, since the world would be run by computers, our lives wouldn't even need to work. We'd just what we wanted to, though with consequences. Though, I'm probably wrong about that! Everything we say on this subject is probably wrong! It's a whole new world we have no experience in at all! think of the possibilities!

And, I like to think this would bring about an end to existentialism. Live and die like a human, and appreciate it while you can? Well, what happens if you live but don't die? Do you keep appreciating it? Do you guys think we'd revert back to some kind of mindset we had before this, or would we move on again?

And also, these machines would be controlling our brains, or whatever is replacing them. That means they could emulate emotions for us. We could achieve orgasm on command. Or Rage. And everything in between.

Posted

To extend Pheo's thoughts, what happens to the religious idea of a soul?

If your body dies and you are uploaded into a robot, does your soul die? Can your soul go to heaven while your mind is situated in a robot on earth? Can a robot house a soul?

Posted

Surely you guys don't think even 10% of the population could afford this idea. Sure, its neat and all, but unless one of us becomes super-rich or incredibly important, we're all still looking at a finite lifespan.

Posted

I imagine that it will eventually become efficient and common place. I mean, electronics aren't that expensive to create.

Posted

Like every other technology, it would be expensive at first, but as the market expands, it would become affordable to the masses.

Posted

Wasn't this pretty much an episode of Cowboy Bebop?

Posted

Are you thinking of the guy that created his own religion to lure people in and kill them via hypnotism?

I dunno, I think the guy was in a coma, not dead or anything like that.

Posted

Are you thinking of the guy that created his own religion to lure people in and kill them via hypnotism?

Idk I think it was something about people being in the internet or something.

But that episode was awesome because it's the only one that showed how badass genius Ein was.

Posted

Only one I ever saw.

Posted

Idk I think it was something about people being in the internet or something.

But that episode was awesome because it's the only one that showed how badass genius Ein was.

Oh, oh, the one where the satellite had a brain uploaded to it and it was working as a spy, and Ed tried to make a copy of it because it was ronery.

But, oops, all spies.

Posted

I love this stuff :3

I'm not very smart though, so pretty much all of it flies over my head. It's still interesting regardless.