Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Console 'War'

17 posts in this topic

Posted

So I know this is a Zelda fansite, but other than Zelda, what's everybody's preference with this-gen consoles and games?

Me? Personally, I prefer the '360. IMO it has fantastic online support(probably due to the fee), a nice library of games, and an easy setup where you can find all the cool stuff online. Of course, it's got favorites of mine, like the Gears and Halo franchises, as well.

The PS3 is very nice, though. It's online multiplayer has usually been kinda laggy in my experience, though. But I love games that I have on it like Uncharted 2, MGS4, and Little Big Planet.

I honestly haven't touched my Wii in forever. It'll probably come back to life when Skyward Sword is released, though.

Posted

I own all 3. I disagree about the PS3's online being "laggy." Having played both consoles extensively, it's apparent to me that saying the PS3's online is inferior is a way 360 fans justify spending 50 dollars a year just to play online.

That said, here is how I feel about all 3, separately:

Wii- I've had some good times with my Wii, but I can't help but think it would be so much better without the motion control. Nintendo games are my favorite games, though, so I will always buy Nintendo consoles. It isn't my favorite, but the software (Mario Galaxy, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Kirby, etc) is worth the purchase of the system.

PS3- My favorite of the 3. It and the 360 are pretty much neck and neck, but PS3 takes it due to the free online and the better exclusives (I like Killzone, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, etc more than Gears of War or Fable. Halo is where it's at though.)

360- Great console. It always seems to have the better multiplatform games. I don't pay for the online anymore, as I don't find the experience worth 50 dollars a year, but any single-player game is usually better on the 360.

All in all, they're different, but great in their own way. I'm happy to own all 3, though I could probably do without the 360 if I had to.

Posted

Wii - lol dust

PS3 - had one, used it for DVDs. when it died I tore it open to get my DVD back and then I threw it out

360 - don't have one, want one. Not because it's better than the PS3, but because I would like to chat with people online. That'd be cool. All my friends have 360s, and the games for it are great anyway, although I prefer the PS3s exclusives. I'm just not much of a gamer. I'd be more inclined to play games if I had anybody to play them with.

Posted

Lol I only have a Wii because I really don't want to invest in multiple uhhh big consoles? Meh... Wii is alright, the first party games are good and it's fun to play multiplayer with my friends and family when they're around. Wish online wasn't soooo laggy though :C

I wouldn't mind having a 360 though, just for Banjo: Nuts and Bolts though. Maybe Viva Pinata and Klonoa as well? iunno not many games on the 360 really interest me? but then again I can't remember what there is lol... recommendations anyone? lol but not shooters or sports games, urgh so much hate u_u But lol probably will never own this one.

PS3 has nothing I want at all lol, maybe one day I'll play LittleBigPlanet, but I'm not terribly bothered if I miss out on PS3 stuff. Well actually I /really/ want to play Persona 5 and Catherine (if they ever come out here ;~; ) but urghhhghhgh having multiple consoles is sooooo annoying and costly. So much hate. Handhelds are just the best eeeeee DS (and 3DS when I get money) <3

This generation has been a bit crap tbh. I preferred the last two generations. Yayy for being able to have N64, GCN and both Playstations. Plus the forever reliable handhelds <3

Posted

I only have the Wii, and i actually don't want any other console.

Posted

I've got a Wii and a 360. Paid $100 for the 360, still works great and everything. Plus it came with a bunch of shit, but unfortunately I haven't played it in a while.

Love my Wii, if not for Monster Hunter, and only Monster Hunter.

I would like a PS3, though. Adhoc party sounds great. But I love my PSP right now.

Monster Hunter again and again and again.

Posted

I own all 3. I disagree about the PS3's online being "laggy." Having played both consoles extensively, it's apparent to me that saying the PS3's online is inferior is a way 360 fans justify spending 50 dollars a year just to play online.

(I like Killzone, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, etc more than Gears of War or Fable. Halo is where it's at though.)

I only played a bit on MGS4 and Uncharted 2. I had a few bad experiences. Didn't really like Uncharted 2's competitive mulitplayer that much, but I actually kinda liked MGS4's even though I suuuuuucked at it :P

And I played the demo for Killzone 2 and loved it. I want the 3rd one :D And Ratchet and Clank on the PS2 was amazing.

This generation has been a bit crap tbh. I preferred the last two generations. Yayy for being able to have N64, GCN and both Playstations. Plus the forever reliable handhelds <3

I agree, this generation has been a lot about graphics and multiplayer, and bringing in the "casual" gamer. It's all starting to feel like it's dominated by corporations like EA. Then again, it may have always been like this, only I was just too young to see it.

But lol I remember going over to a friend's and just having a hell of a time playing Battlefront 2.

Also there's too many sequels...

Posted

My roommate has a 360 and I have a PS3 and a Wii at home. I guess the older I've gotten, the more I want something more like the 360, but I still think Wii has the best game selection (no thanks to my huge bias toward Nintendo games, mind you).

Posted

I don't own any of those cuz my brother would probably sell them for weed or crack or whatever he does, but I have had a PSP (stolen in aforementioned way) and I currently have a DS.

I liked the PSP's game library, mostly cuz it had the Final Fantasy Tactics (original) remake, and that's my most favorite game ever. And the Patapon series was really addicting and awesome.

The DS is pretty cool too, mostly cuz of the touch screen which is innovative n' stuff. And the camera. But I'm left-handed, so that made a lot of potentially fun games not as good for me. The World Ends With You was awesome though, cuz they made the controls reversible, so both left- and right-handed people could play.

YEAH, ANSWERING QUESTIONS THAT NO ONE ASKED. So cool, dawg.

Posted

I find it amusing that I like the PSP solely for its remakes. Really, they could try to make a million original games for the PSP and I'd still enjoy the Final Fantasy remakes more than any of them.

Posted

Handhelds have this issue of expecting 30-40 dollars out of you and giving only a 10-20 dollar experience.

I think the longer, more in depth the game is, the better. You'd think the PSP, with it's emphasis on console-like quality games, would want to try to be as close to consoles in terms of length/epicness/depth etc.

The remakes were once console games, so the depth isn't forsaken for anything. I hate this idea that the iPhone started that handheld games only need to be played for 5-10 minute intervals. Sometimes, I just want to sit down with my 3DS/PSP and play a damn epic game like Fallout 3. Hell, the majority of PSone games are so much longer than PSP games. Play Final Fantasy VII, VIII, or IX and compare it to any original PSP game. I don't think any of them compare, besides having better graphics.

Most of the games I like/own for the system are remakes. Persona 3 Portable, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions, Megaman Maverick Hunter X, and Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles are all remakes.

The ONLY PSP original games that I would even consider to be both long and good quality are Peace Walker and Phantasy Star Portable 2. Dissidia is good, but it doesn't have much to it, Crisis Core is amazing, but the missions are too repetitive and short, and all the other games I own are ports.

With the 3DS, as far as I can tell, Shadow Wars is the only game with any depth to it. The rest are short, mission-based games. Until Ocarina of Time, Mario, Star Fox, MGS3, Pokemon, etc are released, we still won't have an epic game to play.

Posted

Most of the games I like/own for the system are remakes. Persona 3 Portable, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions, Megaman Maverick Hunter X, and Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles are all remakes.

SO how's that game doing for you, have you tried to beat the Reaper yet or at least TRIED to beat Elizabeth what is your favorite persona (please don't say Mara because that would be gross)

BACK ON TOPIC

I actually prefer Playstation games because they are more story oriented while xbox are more multiplayer oriented

Posted

Why does Mara look like a penis?

Anyway, I don't have a favorite yet. I haven't played in a while, but I'm picking it up again in the future. I like Orpheus. And Messiah looks to be legit.

This game, well, Persona games in general, confuse me. They seem to bring in a ton of religious/spiritual symbols without knowing and understanding the full meanings. Take for example, God/Jesus. In Persona 2, you fight God at the end. There's also a "false prophet" who looks exactly like the Western depiction of Jesus. Now, one could argue that God essentially comes back in the end anyway, but this is some heavy stuff they're dealing with. The only reason no one gets mad about it is because the Persona games aren't really mainstream, so news media doesn't get ahold of it. Thank God. Because video games would be under the radar, hot coffee mod be damned.

Now, Persona 3 Portable seems to depict God and the "messiah" (aka Jesus) in a better light. Messiah is one of if not the best persona in the game, and he gives you a lot of benefits with each level up.

I really don't know what to think of it. On the one hand, yes I understand that it's a video game and it's fiction and I shouldn't read too much into it, but on the other hand the game is fairly mature and should probably be taken seriously.

Posted

Lol

Your thinking of Shin Megami Tensei 2

That is the one with the fake prophet and fake false prophet and the fake god

And only in the neutral ending do you actually fight the real god because he is mad that you killed Lucifer and that you are a unnatural human

Persona 2 innocent sin was banned in America due to the fact that it had Hitler being revived and a guy that admits he is gay (also because the is some pretty messed up *BEEP* in there and a lot of dad complexes)

The second half Persona 2 eternal punishment was not banned though

The persona series delved deeper into the human psych and base off of Analytical psychology

While the main Shin Megami Tensei series delt with religon and less deep into the psychology

Oh and, yes, yes he does

I could seriously go on forever about these games but since most of you are lame for not playing a single persona game you are probably are all bored from me babbling about epic things

Posted

Yeah, well, it's using Judeo-Christian imagery wrongly. Like, it would be one thing if you killed some generic "god" in a game, but they go so far as to bring God, Satan, Lucifer, and the "messiah" who turns out to be a fake prophet that looks like the depiction of Jesus. So, kind of insulting.

Also, Satan=Lucifer, according to Christianity. The game separates them, and even considers Lucifer to be one of God's best angels. Which, while true at one time, is no longer true now since he was cast out and is Satan. So.

Also, Hitler lol.

But other than that I'm enjoying Persona 3. And I think it's funny how you can romance everyone at the same time. But everything about the game seems to push boundaries, so I don't know why it surprises me.