Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Government Shutdown

41 posts in this topic

Posted

They fed government has until midnight tonight to approve a new budget or they will have to shut down. What do you all think and have to say about this?

Posted

Woah woah what the hell? A budget for the government itself or what?

Posted

Well, they can take all the time they want if it makes them come up with good ideas. How close they are to the deadline doesn't really make me nervous at all; it shows responsibility to me.

Posted

Um lol no, I don't think that's how it works.

This is something that they have to decide on every year. Since they're just arguing over little things (okay abortion isn't /that/ little), they're having a tough time coming up with a compromise. And if they don't reach it, the government will shut down. Which means a ton of things can go down.

Like all of these.

Posted

If they are arguing this close to the deadline, it is probably because we're in a recession and we need to take more time to think this stuff out. Why would they take the same amount of time to argue over the budget in an economic boom as they would in a recession? It makes no sense to me for them to take an equal amount or less time if we are in such dire circumstances.

Posted

Knuckle, this isn;t responsibility, this was supposed to be done in October of last year.

Posted

So I heard once, in a Smothers Brothers video, the government, when electing a new president, would spend the next couple of months helping the president to pass the bills he proposed. If they worked then they would keep helping him. Why don't we do that today?

Posted

Because the budget is the Houses responsibility, not the president's.

Posted

Knuckle, this isn;t responsibility, this was supposed to be done in October of last year.

Oh dear......must've missed that part. :embarrassed:

Posted

So, what if we cut congress salaries? Doesn't the average representative/senator make $174,000 a year?

Posted

Yeah, but the only people who can cut congressmen's salaries are... congressmen. You think they're going to vote to give themselves pay cuts?

Posted

Isn't power to the people the point of a democratic nation in the first place? Aren't there laws/amendments/rights that say we can petition/protest something like that through?

Posted

Why would you even want to reduce their salaries?

Posted

So, what if we cut congress salaries? Doesn't the average representative/senator make $174,000 a year?

Add another 3 0s to that and it becomes mildly significant to this.

Posted

It is not even that they can't pass bills changing spending later. Everyone in Congress is just being a huge throbbing dick about this.

Government workers will lose their jobs.

Troops won't get their pay.

Idk what else.

Courts I've heard could stop.

Nobody applying for disability will probably get it.