Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Government Shutdown

41 posts in this topic

Posted

Why would you even want to reduce their salaries?

Because the money could go to better things, especially if what Skippy said about how this should have been done in October is true. Why should they be paid so much to do nothing?

Posted

Why is it that much? Do they have crack addictions?

My family is surviving solely on my mom's paycheck. She's a RN. The internet sez they make about 1/3 of what senators make. My brain is full of puppy, dawg.

Posted

Being a legislator should be a part-time job. That will allow more normal people to run for office instead of career politicians.

Posted

The end. Republicans essentially got what they wanted. Doesn't even matter. At all.

Posted

That is a completely rude sum of money

They never do any actual hard work

Peoples salaries should depend on how hard the work is not about how high the position is >:(

Posted

The end. Republicans essentially got what they wanted. Doesn't even matter. At all.

Not really. Republicans didn't get the funding blocked for Planned Parenthood.

I'd say things worked out pretty well, considering what the alternative could have been.

Posted

That is a completely rude sum of money

They never do any actual hard work

Peoples salaries should depend on how hard the work is not about how high the position is >:(

How the puppy would you know?

It's a massively important job, and so they get paid more for it. I'd say thats completely fair.

If you think they don't do any work than you do it then.

Posted

I never said it wasn't an important job I just said it wasn't a hard job

All they do is sit around and vote for stuff

Posted

Ok then, I'd like to see you go and run for office now.

If you say its so easy, then we should be able to get a finer class of politician in the joint rather easily, right?

Posted

My mom knows the representative of my district

I asked and he said the hard part is getting the job but the job is actually quite easy

And there is no-way I would run because I have very little interest in politics

Posted

I can say, with experience in mock and real government management, that it is a job that is more tedious than difficult. While I respect the people who actually have the ability to successfully run government, I wouldn't say paying them a king's ransom is entirely necessary.

I guess you could argue that the salary offsets all the money they spend on campaigns, but I'd need to see some figures to know the truth behind that.

Posted

It isn't exactly a kings ransom...

Doctors can be paid more. So can Lawyers. So can many. It isn't that much money. It's only a lot of money in comparison to how much you are earning.

God, capitalism is the best. :3

Posted

Yeah, I just wanted to use the term King's ransom because it sounds cool. It's more accurate to call it a large amount of money compared to the average salary.

Posted

Isn't power to the people the point of a democratic nation in the first place? Aren't there laws/amendments/rights that say we can petition/protest something like that through?

First, we are not a democratic nation, we are a republic to keep a buffer from mob rule, which almost always ends in hostile takeover and tyranny. We can protest and we can petition, but both are generally ineffective to the federal government.

It is not even that they can't pass bills changing spending later. Everyone in Congress is just being a huge throbbing dick about this.Government workers will lose their jobs.Troops won't get their pay.Idk what else.Courts I've heard could stop.Nobody applying for disability will probably get it.

Government workers would have been able to get unemployment, which would still be active, troops pay was still undecided as it would have been Obama's call as to whether or not to pay them, same goes for courts. In the event of a gov shutdown, the president decides what is essential and stays working.

Not really, they went in with 100b in cuts and dropped to 61b almost immediately, they ended at just under 40b meeting the democrats proposed 34b in the middle. They are in a better bargaining spot for next years budget that is due THIS October though, which they will start fighting on now.

Posted

Are we screwed yet or did the bill pass