The Scoundrels of Virtue

364 posts in this topic

Posted

Torianna took a bite of her apple, pondering. "Princess Zelda is important, but the water supply comes first. If people drink the poisoned water, goodness knows what will happen. That's putting the entire population of Hyrule at risk - that's got to be our priority."

"You're right..." Endel mused, still looking deep in thought. "Besides, that shouldn't take us too long, we just need to speak to the Zora. We don't even know where to begin looking for Princess Zelda, so let's start with what we know we can do." Despite Endel's business-like tone, he still seemed a little sub-optimal. His expression was slack, and his eyes were distant. Loosing Skallin had hit him harder than anyone else. But there's nothing better for grief than keeping busy, and Ashei's list of tasks would certainly do that.

"Come on," Endel said, dusting himself off as he got to his feet. "Let's find a carriage and couple of horses and hit the road."

"It's getting kind of late," Maia hedged. "Maybe we'd be better waiting till the morning?"

Endel looked reluctant to stay in Castle Town any longer than necessary, and Torianna had to agree with him. Hearing the news that the network were still fully operational was the last thing Torianna had wanted to hear, especially considering Hyrule's absent monarchy, useless guards, and the now disbanded Scoundrels of Virtue. By any measure, the network were winning this war, and Torianna didn't want to have to think about, let alone live with, the consequences of that.

"We'll hit the road," she said, looking around at the group. "We're bound to cross an Inn along the way."

Posted

The sun was finally setting on what had been the worst day in Endel's recent memory. Pushing his grief into the back of his mind once more, he clambered up the steps of their rented carriage and motioned for the others to hurry. Maia wanted to join him at the reins, but was so exhausted she could barely stand; Torianna convinced her that they should discuss things inside the carriage while Lorcan and Endel did the driving.

"Might as well mix things up, I bet Lorcan was getting tired of me anyway." She teased with an odd wink that made the quiet guardsman blush. Endel barely managed a shrug before cracking the reins as everyone climbed aboard.

---

The ride had started through the west gate, where they took the paths toward Hyrule Field's westernmost reaches. These rocky canyons on the edge of Lanayru Province were far safer than the vast inner fields at dusk, where the nastiest of the world's monsters liked to congregate. Traversing the outlying canyon actually saved them time, as they didn't have to stop and fight off Bokoblins or Lizafos. Endel felt tempted to brood as the trip passed uneventfully, so he began to focus on his surroundings as a distraction.

The edge of Lanayru province was marked by the ancient road they'd chosen to take. It was one of Hyrule's mysteries; a deep-cut pass underneath an overhang shaped by some ancient civilization. The overhang was mostly crumbled but featured some brickwork and, strangest of all, a number of inlaid tracks for guiding gears. No books or stories told who lived in the canyon, or what sort of technology they possessed to accommodate these walls. The silent ruin hanging over them was all that remained of this supposedly great people; at the very least, Endel appreciated its majesty as a distraction from his woes. Lorcan was twice as awestruck by the surrounding architecture, and so neither of them gave the other so much as a glance.

After the sun set and the ancient canyon was left behind, Endel became more interested in conversation. By the time they'd reached the inn, he was desperate for a chat with someone to get his mind off everything. "Park the carriage and make sure the horses are tended to. I'm going to get us a few rooms." He said as he disappeared through the front door.

Posted

While in the carriage, Maia had asked Torianna if something had happened between Lorcan and her. She had given her a vague reply where Maia couldn't deduce anything from. She had sighed quietly but she felt that something had happened. She didn't know what exactly yet, but she hoped that Torianna would tell her herself. She knew Torianna wasn't the person to be all girly with, but except for Zelda, she was the only real girl friend that she had ever had. IF she could even count Zelda as a friend that is.

Torianna was talking to a man to make sure that the horses had food and water. 

Endel came back outside and told them that there were 2 rooms available. 

"I suppose we sleep in the same room?" Maia asked Torianna. 

"Sure", she replied.

The rooms were simple, with two beds,2  bedside tables and a closet, but it was cosy anyway. Maia lighted the two candles on the bedside tables, and sat on her bed. 

Torianna wasn't in the room yet. Maia figured that she was probably sitting somewhere with Lorcan. 

When they were in the carriage, after Maia's question about Lorcan, Torianna had asked about her and Endel. 

Maia had replied that she did felt something. That what she felt for him could be more than friendly feelings. But she had told Torianna that she wasn't sure if he felt the same. Torianna had laughed and told her that that was something that she and Endel had to discuss for themselves.

She was awoken from her thoughts by a knock on the door. 

She stood up and opened it, only to see Endel. 

"Endel", Maia said, a bit surprised.

"Maia, hello. Is it okay if I come in?" 

"Sure", Maia smiled. 

"Thanks", he answered. When Maia gestured that he should sit down on her bed, he did so. 

"So what brings you here?" Maia asked. She sat down across from him on Torianna's bed.

Endel started to seem uneasy. "I just wanted to see if you were okay."

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"I don't know, just making sure..."

"Oh... well thank you."

An awkward silence broke through. Maia glanced at Endel, who was looking at his shoes, which apparently, were incredible interesting.

Maia however, couldn't stand the silence, so she decided to break it. 

"You know, when the battle with Kazdan was about to begin, I was so scared to die."

Endel looked up. He nodded. "I was so too."

"The only thing that I could think of, was that we never got a chance to say goodbye. I was so scared that we would die, without ever saying goodbye. Without ever knowing if-..."

"Know what?"

"Nothing..." Maia replied. "I'm just so happy we lived... That I didn't need to say goodbye to you.

Posted

Upon returning from taking care of the horses, Torianna found Maia and Endel having a quiet discussion in her room. Not wanting to pry, she called upon Lorcan instead, and the two of them quickly found themselves sat around a small table in the back corner of the tavern just below the inn. She cradled her nightcap between her palms, trying to warm the drink a little between sips.

"So what's your plan?" she asked. Lorcan gave her a confused frown, so she elaborated. "I mean after all of this blows over. We've only got a handful of missions left, this isn't going to last forever. Maia's probably going to go back to working at the castle. The castle might actually offer jobs to the Scoundrels... Do you reckon you'll take a guard position at the castle?"

Lorcan shook his head adamantly, before casting his severe blue eyes around the tavern. When he was sure no one was watching them, he grabbed one of the slate coasters and pulled a piece of chalk from his pocket. With undeniable efficiency, he scrawled a single word on the coaster, underlined it, then flipped it for Torianna to see. Home.

She cracked a smile. "Of course, you'll go back to the forest, monkey man! I should have thought of that."

A comfortable lull passed between the two of them, broken only by the gentle chatter and clink of glasses from the other tavern-goers. Torianna took a sip of her drink, and when she lowered the glass, she found Lorcan watching her curiously with pursed lips. She laughed.

"Alright forest boy, I can learn to live with you having feelings for me, but would you mind not staring at me like that?"

A sigh escaped his lips as he rolled his eyes, tapping his finger insistently on the slate. He'd rubbed out his previous answer and replaced it with a simple question: You?

She paused for a moment, pondering as she laid down her glass. "I don't know," she replied honestly. "But I'll tell you this much, there is no way in hell I'm going back home, and you wouldn't catch me working in that castle no matter what money they offered me!"

Posted

"You were worried about..." Endel started, but suddenly it hit him. All the training Maia had done, her intense devotion to him, and the way they seemed so drawn to each other made it clear what she meant. Endel, you thick-skulled fool, he thought to himself, she was trying to prove herself to you just as much as she was trying to protect Zelda.

"Maia... I just got so caught up in protecting you I didn't even think about why I was doing it. Damn it all, I always get so caught up-"

"Endel." Maia interjected. "I don't hold it against you. It's like you've been running for a long time now, just trying to stay alive and protect what you care about. But... I don't want you to run forever. I want to stand at your side and give you rest because... it's because..."

"Because you care about me... the same way I care about you..." He realized aloud as he came to sit beside her. "Maia, I..."

"It's okay, I feel the same." Maia replied as he leaned forward to her. Endel could have sworn he heard someone giggling from outside the door as their lips met, but he didn't give it much thought.

Posted

Endel backed away slowly and gently caressed her cheek. Maia felt that she was blushing, but Endel was blushing too.

She had never been kissed before, but she had never felt more happy in her life. She felt so happy that she just wanted to squeal and jump around and dance, but she kept calm. She smiled at Endel, and he smiled back. Endel leaned in for another kiss, but right before their lips were about to touch again, the door opened and Torianna stood there, leaning against the door opening. 

"So are you guys going to cut it out or do I need to get another room for tonight?"

Endel let go of Maia, who was all flustered and blushing. 

Endel's face was as red as a tomato, and he looked at Torianna with a look of utter annoyance, and a bit of anger. He stood up and kissed Maia on her forehead. "Goodnight... I'll see you tomorrow", he whispered. 

"Goodnight", Maia replied softly. 

Endel smiled at her and walked out of the room, before giving Torianna one last look of annoyance. 

Torianna laughed and closed the door behind her.

"Did you really need to do that?" Maia asked, annoyed as well. 

"So, how is he?" Torianna asked, ignoring Maia's question.

"What?" Maia replied, confused and still annoyed.

"Is he a good kisser?"

"What? Torianna, you can't ask that!" Maia said, blushing even more. 

Torianna laughed again. "You're so innocent, Maia. Was that your first kiss?"

Maia nodded. "It was."

"That's so cute!" 

"Torianna please, shut up about it!" 

"Okay okay! Goddesses I was just curious. Anyway lovebird, time for bed, sleep tight, and don't drool when you dream about Endel!"

Maia replied with a sigh, which she tried to make sound annoyed. She blew out the candles, and went to bed. She just hoped that she would be able to sleep, because her tummy was still full of butterflies, while her forehead and lips still tingled where Endel had kissed her...

Posted

After Maia and Endel's encounter, the night passed without disturbance. Torianna woke with a yawn and a stretch, quickly showering and dressing herself. Thoughts were running through her mind as she made her way down the rickety staircase to the tavern, where they served a surprisingly good-smelling breakfast. Yesterday had been one of the most eventful days of Torianna's career, and honestly she was a little worn out. Considering today's mundane task, she was hoping everything would run a little more smoothly.

Endel and Maia were already sat around a wooden table when Torianna arrived, they were sipping on juice and eating grains. Torianna approached them with a smug smile on her face, slipping effortlessly into an empty seat.

"Morning, love birds," she teased.

Maia sighed. "Torianna, is there any chance you could just be... an adult about this?"

"Nope," she replied, still grinning. "So Endel, Maia here tells me you're a good kisser. Care to comment?"

Endel opened his mouth to respond, but before he could get out a word Lorcan emerged from the stairwell. He paused near immediately, casting a glance over Torianna's beaming face and Endel and Maia's weary expressions. He raised an eyebrow inquisitively as he slid into the last empty seat.

"Are you going to tell him, or shall I?" Torianna asked.

Posted

Endel gave a sigh. "Maia and I-"

"They were totally making out when I went to my room last night!" Torianna interjected.

"Hey!" both of them said in unison, but their friend just shrugged.

"You two would have just botched the story anyway!" Torianna teased.

After another half hour of teasing and gesticulations from Torianna and Lorcan, the two of them were finally ready to discuss today's plans. "We'll reach Zora's domain by early this afternoon." Endel began. "This should be easy; the Zoras owe Ashei and the Scoundrels big time for some job they did during the Twilight Crisis. I imagine King Ralis of the Zoras will take care of the rest after we ask them for help. The new passage under the mountains to their domain isn't far from here."

Posted

Endel's planned route for their trip to the Zora's Domain was perfectly fine - the group would arrive in good time, if things went smoothly, and the town's water would be clean again. Then they could get on with finding the princess.

Lorcan excused himself by way of tapping Endel's shoulder and signalling toward the front door of the inn. He strolled about outside for a while, doing a circle around the inn and inspecting it with interest. A carriage sat at the side of the building, the horses in front standing idly. Lorcan moved to the back of the inn, checking on the horses in the owner's stable. If they had the money and the right words, they might be able to get themselves those tall, sturdy-looking ones with-

"Hey, you there!" a voice came from behind Lorcan. The guard jumped, and turned to face whoever it was calling him. 

An older man with a scraggly beard and scruffy clothes was watching Lorcan from a few feet away with a sneer. He walked forward, narrowing his eyes.

"What's your name, huh?" he asked. 

Lorcan pointed with an apologetic expression to his mouth, shaking his head in an attempt to get across his meaning. The other man smiled in what looked like sympathy.

"Can't talk, no?" Lorcan nodded with a small sigh. "Well, you're exactly who I'm looking for."

Before Lorcan could so much as frown in confusion, he was grabbed around the waist from behind, a hand clamped over his mouth for good measure. The man that had been talking to him shot forward, pulling Lorcan's sword free of it's sheath before giving Lorcan a hard kick to the gut, effectively winding him. 

"Now, let's get movin'," the person holding Lorcan from behind snapped. "The boss'll want to get this over with nice and quick."

Lorcan was dragged to the other side of the inn, to the carriage he'd spotted earlier. He was thrown in like a sack of grain, landing roughly with a thud in the back as his breath was forced from him once again; he knew already to expect bruises. The windows were slammed shut and the doors locked tightly, but Lorcan couldn't move as it was anyways. It was at that moment that he heard voices.

"Lorcan?" Torianna was calling from the front of the inn. "Come on, we're heading off! Lorcan!"

"Come on, get up here!" one of the two men urged. There was a frantic scuffle before a weight came down on the driver's seat.

"Hey!" Torianna shouted, and Lorcan winced at the thought of what might be in store. "Have you seen anyone with brown hair, blue eyes, hanging around here?"

One of the two men was trying to find the reins, while the other addressed Torianna. 

"Not anywhere around he-"

"Wait a second... You're, you're from the network!" Torianna's voice seemed both surprised and disgusted. "What have you done with Lorcan?!"

Lorcan's eyes widened when he felt the carriage shake roughly, frantic grunts from both Torianna and the network thieves ending with someone hitting the ground hard. Torianna's curses were enough of an indication as to who had fallen.

"All you need to know, little brat, is that your pretty boy will get you back your princess," one of the men said mockingly, before the carriage jerked forward abruptly, and Lorcan was carried off into the unknown, unable to even lift himself from the floor let alone fight his way out.

((So sorry for my absences! Hopefully this will redeem me?))

Posted (edited)

((More than!))

Torianna hauled herself to her feet hurriedly cradling the arm she landed on; the same arm that had been attacked by Jaydon. A dull ache was beginning to spread, but she didn't have the time to waste. She pushed herself onward, chasing after the cart a few feet before she was forced to accept that she couldn't catch up. A frustrated growl escaped her as she stooped down to the ground, picking up a handful of sharp gravel and flinging it in the direction of the moving vehicle. The tiny stones ricocheted off the exterior, but left no damage. She wasn't aiming to damage anyway, merely to vent frustration.

Those bastards! Those damned bastards! What the hell did they want with Lorcan? The anger building inside of her was close to boiling over completely in the sweltering heat from the Lanayru sun.

It was at this moment that Endel and Maia emerged from the doors of the inn. They approached her slowly, Endel casting a critical eye over her dusty clothes and the frown etched on their face. "What happened to you?" he asked. "And where's Lorcan?"

Her glare shifted between the two of them, before settling on Maia. "You wanted your princess back? Well now you've got her. Are you happy?" She shoved forcefully between the two of them, headed over to their carriage.

A few moments of silence followed, broken by Maia. "What are you talking about?"

She whipped back around to face them, feeling her fury dispelling through every pore. "They took Lorcan! The network. I don't know what they want with him, but they took him... and they're giving us the princess back."

"Wait... what?!" Endel spat, sounding astonished. "We don't know they'll actually give us Zelda back... we need to save Lorcan, before it's too late!"

"No!" Torianna warned him, raising a hand forcefully. "You don't meddle with this, not with the Network involved. They might play dirty but they never lie. When they say they'll give us Zelda back, they mean it. If we try to interfere, we're going to put both Zelda and Lorcan at risk." Endel still didn't look convinced, but Torianna persisted. "Trust me, I know how they operate."

"We trust you," Maia replied sincerely. "So... what do we do now?"

Torianna pressed her lips together, sighing. "Nothing. We do nothing. We've got to find the Zora, okay?"

Edited by NayruGoddessOfWisdom (see edit history)

Posted

They went with the carriage, and Endel said that he would drive. Maia asked if Torianna wanted to sit with her, but she told Maia that she preferred to sit alone. Maia then took place next to Endel, and they started to travel to the Zoras. 

"Poor Torianna...." Maia sighed. 

"I know... I can't imagine what it would be like if they took you..." Endel answered. 

Maia put her hand on his. "We'll save him.. right?"

Endel sighed. "To be true? I'm not sure... You know what I don't get? Why did they take Lorcan?"

"I don't know", Maia replied. 

"I mean, why did they take Lorcan? Why him? Why not you? Or Torianna? Why specifically Lorcan? I'm really wondering what's so special about him."

Maia looked at him. "Maybe it wasn't about Lorcan? Maybe they just wanted one of us and Lorcan was the unlucky one to first come across to them?" 

"Maybe.."

"You want to know what I don't get? Why will they suddenly return the Princess to us? I mean, I'm happy they do, but why give her back? Isn't she of great value?"

"I have no idea Maia... I'm just as confused as you..." 

They didn't talk much after that. Instead, Maia was watching around her. There wasn't much to see, really. And when they reached the passage under the mountain, there was even less to see. There were some torches here and there, but it was still quite dark. Maia never liked the dark, but she was glad that she was there with Endel. 

"Is it far from here?" she asked.

Endel shook his head. "No, we're almost there." 

Posted

Lorcan woke from an uncomfortable sleep when the carriage door was pulled open and sunlight streamed in past the network thief leering down at him. Lorcan was pulled roughly up and spun about unceremoniously. Reaching for his sword instinctively, Lorcan grimaced upon realising it wasn't there. He swung around and tried to swing a punch, but the thief blocked it before grabbing Lorcan's wrists, tying them into a complex knot before yanking him out of the carriage.

The thief seemed about to pull about a gag, before reconsidering. "Ah, of course."

The other thief hopped from his perch at the reins, and helped the other one to pull a struggling Lorcan to a decrepid old building, isolated and likely far from Castle Town. It seemed vaguely familiar, but Lorcan wasn't concerned with landscaping at that moment. Based on past experience with the network, the building was more stable than it appeared.

One of the thieves knocked -3,2,1,2,1, Lorcan noted- and the door swung open to reveal Torianna's father. Oh, goddesses, this was not good.

Lorcan attempted to wriggle out of the grasp of his captors, to no avail.He was pushed inside and stumbled forward to avoid falling over on his face. Torianna's father took Lorcan by the scruff, staring him in the eye with a cruel grin. Lorcan stared fiercely back, lips pressed firmly and eyebrows drawn into a frown.

"Now, kid, here's our deal," the man started, eyes gleaming. "I want a yes or a no answer - you can do that much for us, right? What's going to happen is that you and me are gonna take a trip out to the forest, which I understand you know quite well, and you're going to find my boy Jaydon for me. In return, we will give your princess safely back to.. the scoundrels, isn't it?"

Lorcan bit his lip, considering. He did, of course, know the forest very well, and he could find Jaydon with enough searching and scouting. But the network would have another advantage in that case, with Jaydon's enhanced abilities back at their side.

On the other hand, Ashei had asked them as a final mission to find and bring Zelda back safely. Which is what the network was offering... They'd escaped from Jaydon before, and they needed Zelda with them...

Finally, Lorcan looked back to the network leader, and motioned a cross over his heart as best he could with his limitations. The other man nodded in understanding, smirking at Lorcan's gestures.

"I get it, you want a promise," he said. "You're not too dull after all, then. Alright, scoundrel. You have my word; once you find Jaydon for us, we will return your princess, without a hair harmed on her pretty head, to your 'Scoundrels of Virtue.' Are we agreed?"

With a last resigned sigh, Lorcan nodded his agreement.

Posted (edited)

The carriage was actually unnervingly quiet in the absence of Skallin and Lorcan. Even Lorcan? Goddess, who thought the world would be quieter without him? Torianna crossed her arms, leaning back against her seat and pressing her eyes closed. She hadn't exactly slept well last night, there was no harm in getting a quick nap...

When she eventually came to, it was to gentle shaking from Maia and harshly whispered words. "Wake up! We've arrived!"

Torianna's eyes snapped open, but there was actually little to be seen. The cavern that the cart had pulled up in was almost pitch black, with only dim lighting coming from torches placed sparingly along the walls. As Torianna clambered out of the carriage, she was greeted with a cool blue light coming from the end of the passage. It was accompanied by the gentle trickle of running water. Endel was already stood, waiting, shifting his weight from foot to foot. He looked antsy, eager to get going.

"Not sleeping on the job, are we Torianna?" he mocked gently as he lead the way up the passage.

"Not engaging in unprofessional relationships, are we Endel?" she quipped back. He shot her a look for that one, but even he couldn't hide his smile.

As they progressed further up the tunnel, the gentle trickling became a gushing whoosh. They eventually broke out into a cavern which opened out into the fresh air. A steady flow of water was sent pouring over the edge and into what was presumably lake Hylia. Oceanic-humanoid creatures roamed over the slippery, moss covered rocks as well as populating the depths of the water. They were covered in fish like scales, and even had fins extending from their limbs, and gills in addition to their thick blubbery lips. There was a distinctly fishy smell in the air as the group carefully made their way over the mossy rocks to the apparent leader of the Zora.

"We're here as representatives of Hyrule Castle Town," Endel announced by way of introduction. "We need your help, urgently!"

Edited by NayruGoddessOfWisdom (see edit history)

Posted

Endel was surprised by how young the Zora King was; apparently he'd been scarcely groomed for leadership when circumstances forced him to take the throne early. The three of them were shocked when the young Zora replied with immaculate confidence and authority.

"Ah, my people have been eager for a chance to repay your charismatic young princess!" He said. Nobody mentioned that Zelda wouldn't be able to thank him officially for his help any time soon. "For the services of Hyrule Castle during the Twilight Crisis, and as a show of good faith between our races, we shall do as you ask."

"Thank you sincerely, your highness." Endel replied. "Castle town suffers from poisoned water, and will need the aid of your people to cleanse it's rivers and waterways."

"Consider it done." the king decreed. "However... I would ask that you do one small thing for us in return. A number of your people have been camping at the upper rapids of Zora River lately. If possible, I would be grateful if you could convince them to leave."

Endel graciously thanked the king and accepted his request, but as they turned to leave all of them exchanged nervous glances. No one bothered to clarify who was probably waiting for them on the riverbank.

---

The descent down Zora's domain was tedious; Endel hadn't been prepared to scale walls and jump chasms today. It was mid-afternoon again by the time hey reached the banks of Zora River, where a group of Network agents had thrown up a sloppy camp. Four of them were waiting with a message. "Hear this; we have made an agreement with your friend." their apparent leader spoke first. "He has agreed to track and help subdue Jaydon in exchange for the princess. You are to wait here with us until word arrives that his end of the deal has been fulfilled."

They were definitely telling the truth, but Endel still saw their angle. "I suppose you'll make sure to secure Jaydon after he kills Lorcan instead of before?" He shot back.

"Well, it can't be helped if your buddy has an accident, you know." Another one replied with a smirk. Torianna glared daggers back at him. "It doesn't matter what you do, the hunt has already begun. Stay here and you will have your princess. Leave, and we'll hunt you down and ditch her in the middle of the wilderness."

None of them were happy about this proposition, but they had little choice. After consenting to the terms, the Network agents tossed them a few tents and provisions. Endel had no clue how he was going to get out of this one.

Posted

Lorcan braced himself before entering into the forest, the land he wished to be safe from the monsters prowling the rest of Hyrule. His hands were still tied uncomfortably, a rope secured in some elaborate fashion around his waist, the end clenched tightly in the fist of Torianna's father, who Lorcan had learned was called Darius after hearing a thief calling for him earlier. Lorcan constantly strained against the ropes, seething in discomfort. Every time he did, though, he would be pulled sharply backwards, landing hard on the ground before being pulled up once again. After multiple attempts and a horrible pain in his back, Lorcan had given up.

"Are you finding my boy or aren't you?" Darius demanded, giving the rope a rough shake. Lorcan regained his footing easily enough, scowling. He turned to glare at the man behind him, nodding sharply. It was then that he heard some animal noise, nothing that belonged here, and stopped in his tracks. Jaydon...

Torianna's father had to stop himself knocking into Lorcan, and his men behind him had to avoid stepping into him.

"Come on then, get a move on!" Darius exclaimed, and Lorcan shook his head frantically, shushing the man with a pointed glare. If Darius was offended, it showed only in a slight raise of his eyebrows, but he pressed his lips together and motioned for his men to follow suit.

Lorcan urged for them to move forward, and grit his teeth upon hearing the loud shuffling of feet that came after him. He straightened, turning about to face them. Shushing once more, he resumed his movements. Once again, there was too much noise. They would never find Jaydon like this!

"What's your problem?" Darius snapped in hushed tones. 

Lorcan mimicked their loud footsteps, sighing in exasperation. 

"If you think we're gonna let you scamper off on your own, you're about as smart as a Moblin," Darius snarled. "Don't push your luck."

Lorcan rolled his eyes, pointing to Darius himself. He moved forward again, and this time only one pair of footsteps followed, soft enough that they could manage to find Jaydon easily enough. The restriction on his hands was still irritating, however.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After another hour of walking, and an hour of trying to silence Darius' sighs, Lorcan finally came across another sound from Jaydon. The man... demon... creature, was doing its absolute best to be avoided. He could likely smell Lorcan, and maybe not his father. But now they'd crossed most of the forested area, and soon Jaydon would be cornered. Ignoring the odd complaint from Darius, Lorcan pressed on, eager to have this over and done with and for Zelda to be safe. 

Then, they arrived where Lorcan had hoped to find him. He'd done the job well, it turned out, so much so that the knight found himself grinning proudly at his own work.

Jaydon was curled in on himself, inspecting some sort of wound on his leg as he leaned heavily against a tall, dark tree. His eyes flickered to Lorcan, to his father, back to his wound, before he let out a low growl of pain.

Darius breathed out in a low whistle. "Not bad, scoundrel."