Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wii to get DVD next Year

22 posts in this topic

Posted

Nintendo has confirmed that it is preparing to add DVD capabilities to the Wii next year. Originally announced only for Japan, the new Wii with DVD abilities has been confirmed now for both Japan and the U.S. Its release through the rest of the world is not confirmed, but I think it seems likely. Nintendo had planned to release DVD playback functionality to the Wii for Japan in the second half of 2007, but they need to concentrate on their production lines to ensure enough devices for the Christmas rush this year.

It's as of yet unclear whether they'll be releasing a DVD uprgade for the existing Wii or just rolling out a new generation of DVD-enhanced systems.

Posted

they better have it up for an update because what are we supposed to do? send it back or something? although I do still have my Wii box that it came in... It's nice and sturdy

Posted

[quote name='Tappy' post='85741' date='Nov 12 2007, 01:20 PM']they better have it up for an update because what are we supposed to do? send it back or something? although I do still have my Wii box that it came in... It's nice and sturdy[/quote]

When I had to send it in to get repaired they told me not to use the box it came in. So I went to UPS and had them package and send it in.

But back to DVD, I have a DVD player so it don't matter to me, but if they offer to do it for free I'm game :wii: .

Posted

I was a bit surprised that the Wii didn't have a DVD/Cd player to start with.
I mean come on, surely by now they would, it's 2007!
The PS1 had a CD player lol, but the Wii doesn't? D:

Hmm, cool idea though.

Posted

Yeah they have to made a update for it...
(Just update some on the hex code of the dvd disk reader of the wii I guess...

Posted

[quote name='FLIP' post='85761' date='Nov 12 2007, 12:39 PM']I was a bit surprised that the Wii didn't have a DVD/Cd player to start with.

Hmm, cool idea though.[/quote]
It was to make Wii afforable as possible. Besides, this is Nintendo we're talking about; they've never capitalized on anything that didn't have to do with video games (other than taxis and love hotels). Their products are gaming consoles first, and multimedia systems second. That is what makes them the only true video game console maker around.

[quote name='adr990' post='85775' date='Nov 12 2007, 01:41 PM']Yeah they have to made a update for it...
(Just update some on the hex code of the dvd disk reader of the wii I guess...[/quote]
It's going to take a lot more than a system update from WiiConnect 24 to program DVD compatibility, so sending the console back to Nintendo would probably be the only way to get the upgrade if you already have one. The disc drive was designed to read Wii optical discs and Gamecube discs only.

Posted

Ok, now that is kick a**! I can't wait!!! :D But it better be an upgrade. :unsure:

Posted

[quote name='SirJoshizzle' post='85780' date='Nov 12 2007, 01:51 PM']It's going to take a lot more than a system update from WiiConnect 24 to program DVD compatibility, so sending the console back to Nintendo would probably be the only way to get the upgrade if you already have one. The disc drive was designed to read Wii optical discs and Gamecube discs only.[/quote]

I beg to differ... the Wii game discs are I think on DVD discs but are a different format which is the Wii format...

Posted

DVD + Wii = Awesome.
---
[quote name='FLIP' post='85761' date='Nov 12 2007, 03:39 PM']I mean come on, surely by now they would, it's 2007![/quote]
What???? [i]Really?[/i] :wacko:

Posted

[quote name='Tappy' post='85831' date='Nov 12 2007, 06:16 PM']I beg to differ... the Wii game discs are I think on DVD discs but are a different format which is the Wii format...[/quote]
Exactly. Gamecube and Wii discs are a different format than standard DVDs, and Wii's disc drive was designed to read only that format. Nintendo designs all their game discs with burst marks, and the drive won't read the disc unless it has those marks (which DVD movie discs don't come with).

DVD compatibility implementation "requires more than a firmware upgrade."
[url="http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/features/confirmed-nintendo-to-release-dvd-enabled-wii-in-2007/69689/"]http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/features...-in-2007/69689/[/url]

To be honest, this news is a year old--just check the date that article was published.

Posted

i think the movie companies hshould make the dvds in wii format and call them wiivds

Posted

[quote name='SirJoshizzle' post='85780' date='Nov 12 2007, 03:51 PM']It was to make Wii afforable as possible. Besides, this is Nintendo we're talking about; they've never capitalized on anything that didn't have to do with video games (other than taxis and love hotels). Their products are gaming consoles first, and multimedia systems second. That is what makes them the only true video game console maker around.[/quote]
I spose that's true, that's what kept me buying Nintendo.
NES has always been the best ;D
But um, 360 wins it for me atm :l

Posted

[quote name='SirJoshizzle' post='85844' date='Nov 12 2007, 09:47 PM']To be honest, this news is a year old--just check the date that article was published.[/quote]
Says November 8, 9, 10, or 12, 2007 on all the articles I checked. (Try[url="http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/11/09/wii_dvd_playback_delayed/"]Here[/url] [url="http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/8348"]Here[/url] and [url="http://www.thetanooki.com/2007/11/08/dvd-enabled-wii-delayed-to-2008/"]Here[/url] ):D
It's because Nintendo said earlier this year that they'd be adding DVD for [i]Japan[/i]. This is new news, since it was [i]just[/i] confirmed for the United States. :D And in this post, Nintendo delays the DVD capabilities until 2008.

Challenging the submitter; I respect that, Joshizzle. :D

And plus, Dustin says we need news every day. :o

Posted

[quote name='FLIP' post='85761' date='Nov 12 2007, 08:39 PM']I was a bit surprised that the Wii didn't have a DVD/Cd player to start with.

Hmm, cool idea though.[/quote]

but that's the thing, because everyoen has one, its not worth spending the extra money to put it in...

Posted

[quote name='Gingerlink' post='86045' date='Nov 13 2007, 05:29 PM']but that's the thing, because everyoen has one, its not worth spending the extra money to put it in...[/quote]

=P Yeah, but what if you didn't have any other console than a Wii ^^
Ahahh.

:D