Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

General Timeline Theories (SPOILER ALERT)

74 posts in this topic

Posted

The two kids at my lunch table and I have recently gotten into long long disscussions about the continuity of the Zelda Series.

All of us there have played Ocarina Majora, Twilight, and A Link to the Past.

So far here's what we have agreed on: OOT and MM are directly sequential, LP is somehow a prelude to TP; either before OOT, but not the same Link as OOT; or after MM, but not the same Link as either TP or OOT. This is from the reasoning that the story is somewhat simillar, the music used in both TP and LP is pretty simlar (The castle theme in LP is the same as in TP, for example), and the have the same basic principles: two worlds, a dark and a light, you get transformed into an animal in the dark world until you find a "crystal") As I type this I think : wait a minute! could Link to the past possibly come after Twilight Princess?. (I wouldn't know, I've only beaten about a quarter of it.)

We've also decided that all the old NES, SNES and GBA/DS games fit in some where but we're not sure where.

We've also put up the possibility that Wind Waker (and all other cell) Style graphics] Celda style games. are not cannon with the "Normal" Zelda games, but cannon to them selves.)

If any one out there has played any of the Zelda games (Especialy ones that aren't listed in the Cannon that follows) please post the summeries or possible cannon place ments?

For the sake of quieter, less argumentitive lunches, please post!

Please copy the following into all posts and updates:

The Cannon So Far:

*possible location, but not set in stone

[set in stone]

*A Link to the Past

[Ocarina of time]

[Majora's Mask]

*A Link to the Past

[Twilight Princess]

* A Link to the past

Other known Zelda Games:

The Legend of Zelda

The Legend of Zelda II: The Adventures of Link

Link's Awaking

Oracle of Seasons

Oracle of Ages

Wind Waker

Phantom Hourglass

(*Note: Ocarina of Time: Master Quest counts the same as the "normal" Ocarina of Time)

Posted

:moderated:

Moved the general game talk.

I believe everything involving the triforce has to fit into the Ocarina of time starting (as the sacred realm is opened for the first time and the triforce seperates out into it's component parts. This then ends with Wind Waker, where the triforce's wish is used and it returns to the heavens. This means it can no longer be used and is never seen again.

HOWEVER, there are a lot of problems with this if you don't believe in the split timeline theory, there are a lot of problems chucking all of the games between OoT and Wind Waker. The wind waker's intro is a bit of a hint. That the hero vanished and when danger reappeared HE DID NOT RETURN, which in fact would mean that there are no games between OoT and WW. Confused yet?

As far as I believe, Wind Waker follows on from the events where link travels to the future (there is enough in the legendary hero story at the start to believe it follows on and all zelda games are set in the same world). The hero came from nowhere in their darkest hour (travelled forwards in time), defeated Ganon (could only have happened in the future) and then left (travelled back in time by Zelda). This left the world which link had gone into on a different timeline, as logically, when link returns to hyrule 7 years before, he warns Zelda about what Ganondorf is really up to and he is banished from the kingdom. The majoritory of other Zelda games would follow on from this story, starting with Twilight Princess as is mentioned in part of the game

Ganondorf is said to have led an army from the dessert to attack hyrule, obviously attempting to get revenge from before

Anyway, that's getting off track, to re-cap, you seriously have to consider the split time-line theory in order for a lot of things to make sense, this is the problem with time travel, it really messes things up.

In fact, I believe before OoT was released, Shigeru Miyamoto himself said it went OoT, LttP, LoZ then AoL

Posted

Let me get this straight:

You say it goes:

[OOT]

*LttP

*LoZ

*AoL

The problem with this is that:

1. MM doesn't fit anywhere in there.

2. Neither does TP.

3. I've never played WW, but what you described is nothing like the storylines I've heard.

Posted

that's just the order of those 4, those were the 4 out (excluding link's awakening) at the time Shigeru Miyamoto said that.

with all of what I've said it goes

OoT

MM

TP

Lttp

LoZ

AoL

and on the other side:

OoT

WW

PH

That's still missing out several because I can't be asked to figure out where they fit right now and they shouldn't affect the order of the others anyway.

The biggest thing I described about Wind Waker was the opening sequence, as you havn't played it, you might find the following quite useful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEoRavExhfo

(not really a spoiler as it's the opening sequence)

Posted

Possibly:

Unknown 2/2-->MM-->TP-->UnKnown 1/2-->UnKnown2

and from links persepective: TP--> Unknown 1/2--> Unknown-->2/2--> Unknown2

This looks weird but bear with me:

Whenever I refer to link in the following, I am speaking of the Link from Twilight Princess

The unknowns refer to games yet to be released.

In Unknown 1/2 and 2/2, Which are the same game, but seperated by time, Link somehow gets thrown back 7-9 years.

In MM =, Link is looking for a lost companion (Midna?) and stumbles into an alternate dimension.

he could have been actually lookingfor a way into that dimension in hopes that the Twilight Mirror still existed and remain undisturbed in said alternate world. (The Link in MM being the same Link as in TP also explains the apparant "absence" of Navi (If she didn't exist in Tp, she couldn't in MM))

Perhaps Zelda, seeing Links depression since losing Midna, told him of a way into an alternate dimension, when in which the Twilight Mirror lay undisturbed.

During Link's travels to find this alternate dimension (Unkowns 1/2 and 2/2) link gets knocked back in time 7-9 years. during these adventures, he discovers the Ocarina of Time (Explaing why there are no songs learned at the begining of MM). along with the Ocarina, he learns of the location of the Alternate world and picks up the Kokori Sword.

Along his way to the AD (Alternate Dimension) he meets skull kid and the adventures of MM take place. After running all over the worlds of MM, Link Learns that the Twilight Mirror does not exist in Clock World (Explaing why he leaves at the end of MM) after this is where I'm unsure of what might happen (A.K.A. I have to many theories, each with their own special Time Paradox).

What do you think?

Posted

In MM =, Link is looking for a lost companion (Midna?)

That's a very good and interesting idea, but I'm pretty sure Shigeru Miyamoto CONFIRMED that Majoras mask was a direct sequel to Ocarina of time.

Actually, it falls apart when you consider it's young link in MM and he's MUCH older in twilight princess.

I geuss your whole going back in 7-9 years randomly is plausible though, if I was wrong about shigsy confirmed MM being a sequel to OoT that is. It's definately a new take on things.

Navi's absense is down to her leaving at the end of OoT anyway.

Posted

I never actually beat OoT completely. I got all the way to the final castle, and foundd I couldn't beat the game due to a glitch.

I traded out my bombs for a bottle (stupid, I know). :banghead:

Posted

Ya i saw that a few weeks back.

It seems like a pretty good hypothesis. :unsure:

Posted

The timeline can't really fit unless it splits into 2 from Ocarina of Time. But I think that TWW's intro may be explaining TP's story. This leaves a lot of holes, but it would clear up a lot of things too.

He is seen leaving Ordon at the ending, and the intro describes a story that could either be TP's or OoT's except when it talks about the hero being known as The Hero of Time. But this title may be carried from hero to hero. (In TWW a few of the gods go on a rant about him not being the Hero of Time, and in the end he becomes the Hero of Wind. )

Plus, Ganondorf's emergence from the hills in the intro suggests he was buried, not sealed away by the gods. He was definitely sealed away in OoT, but TP leaves it open for question about what happened from him afterwards. He could easily have been buried in a hidden tomb behind Snowpeak or something of that sort.

More evidence to back this up is how much more WW's underwater Hyrule looks like TP's than OoT's.

One interesting theory that I've -unfortunately- forgotten who said, is that WW's Ganondorf is not fat, but he has a lot of armor over his scar from TP.

I'm not stating this as cannon, but we should keep it open as a possibility.

Posted

wait... . . . . WW is part of the same world as TP and OoT. Never. Celda was way too corny a style for it to be part of the same cannon. Part of an alternate cannon I'll except, but in the same Timline as TP. Never.

(Has anyone noticed the similarties in A link to the past And Twilight Princess are simalr down to the musical scores?...)

Posted

Just because you don't like WW's graphic style doesn't mean that you can exclude it from the rest of the game's stories. TWW is one of the best Zelda games out there, in my opinion, you should give it a try before making accusations.

Posted

If people read posts it would save others alot of trouble.

I didn't say that WW and other Celda style Zeldas weren't cannon, I merely said they weren't part of the same cannon as Twilight Princess, hence an alternate time line. depending on your view, you could say that Twilight princess is the part of the alternate time line, that both are part of "rift" in the time line that will meet up eventually, or that neither are part of the "true" cannon.

(Please read my full post this time, thanks)

Posted

:banghead: I just realized somthing bad.

in order to put all things zelda into a cannon, all, yes all, the Zelda Cartoons would have to be watched. Those things were awful. oh well... Might As well start now, i guess... . . .

Posted

no, they weren't created by Shigsy or even Nintendo, neither were the CD-i games, so you can discount both of those straight off.

Regardless, either of them make no sense and can't actually physically fit anywhere into any zelda timeline because of the amount of mistakes/ommisions/rubbishness.

All of the Zelda timelines are rolled into one, they are all in the same universe so they must all be linked somewhere. The game that links some of them may not necessarily be out yet. But everything joins up, the graphical style of certain games makes no difference, that's purely a different way of displaying the story.

Therefore, there can't be completely seperate timelines and the most likely place where things join up is from Ocarina of time...