Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

A little thought.

33 posts in this topic

Posted

Huh, never really thought about it before! Makes perfect sense.

Posted

I thought this was fairly obvious... For instance, when people decide Link is the person that's supposed to win, they never tell him to just use his courage, but courage and wisdom.

So Link is not exclusively courageous, but wise, which is how he can solve tough situations and puzzle solve.

I never really thought this needed pointing out...

Anyways, a lot of Zelda theorizers joke amongst themselves by saying that the Triforce is like rock, paper, scissors. Which means Link beats Ganondorf, Ganondorf beats Zelda, Zelda beats Link. (Let's face it. Zelda would kick the crap outta' Link.)

Sahaqiel

yeah, it's always made sense to me too

I geuss some people just take it for granted...

Posted

One may argue that good ol' Ganny doesn't lack courage, but if you were super powerful, would you be afraid.

Courage isn't being fearless; courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage without fear. A truly courageous person would be scared out of his or her wits. And this is why Ganondorf doesn't have courage- he's too fripping arrogant to be afraid of anything.

So Link is not exclusively courageous, but wise, which is how he can solve tough situations and puzzle solve.

The actual playing of Zelda (and therefore the formula as a whole) is based on the pieces of the Triforce; er, rather, the Triforce is based on the formula. Power to defeat enemies, wisdom to solve puzzles, and courage to go out and do it all.

Posted (edited)

Despite the puzzle solving capabilities, I think that the cutscenes show that Link is an idiot, by the way he acts and reacts. Just thought I'd point that out. :D Yeah, Link wasn't exactly the brightest bulb... Ganondorf, Tetra, Kingly Red Lion Guy, Ezlo, and many others who have told Link that he was stupid didn't just say that to hurt his feelings. Heck, if Medli had the heart to tell him, she would probably tell him the same thing. The only people who have told Link that he was smart only did so by lying through their teeth. Except for other idiots, who think they're telling the truth. The reason that we make Link seem smarter than he really is is because we're smarter than Link. Sahaquiel, for instance, makes him seem like a genius when playing LoZ, I guarantee it. No sarcasm there. Honest.

Although Courage and Wisdom do much better than Power alone, it's definitely best that all three are together:

Courage to refrain from panic

Wisdom to come up with a plan

Power to act upon that plan

Like it? :D

I think I'll go put that in my sig....

Edited by IAmVaati (see edit history)

Posted

The only people who have told Link that he was smart only did so by lying through their teeth. Except for other idiots, who think they're telling the truth.

Ololollololol Kaepora Gaebora. "You're a smart boy!"

Posted

Link is supposed to be a shell for the player. That is why he has no name and never talks, because as the player you're expected to fill in the emotions Link lacks with your own.

So if you think Link is stupid, then, well. . .

Posted

Oh rofl.

Such a blunt pwn to the face.

Anyways, yes, Link does use the concept of Power to achieve his goals, but it's never mentioned that he has to use it.

And yes, the courage thing is totally acceptable.

Link does have the look of fear in his eyes in more expressive games. In Wind Waker, we saw the "OHMIGOSH!" look a lot, but instead of running, he just drew his sword. We saw that look deep in Link's eyes when the Gorons were trying to congratulate him in Ocarina of Time. He even ran screaming. (Wasn't very courageous there, rofl.)

Sahaqiel

Posted

^Lol no courage then! I guess he didn't wanna be squished by a bunch of Gorons.... And, although Link is mostly a shell for the player, there are some cutscenes where I would never be foolish enough to preform his actions. For instance:

Really, now...

(Sorry, I don't know how to directly upload videos to the forum. :embarrassed: )

I'm not that stupid. Many of us here aren't that stupid. Otherwise, this would be an alternate universe, since that would make GM an idiot... which is impossible unless it's in another universe/dimension sort of thing. :wacko:

Posted

^Lol no courage then! I guess he didn't wanna be squished by a bunch of Gorons.... And, although Link is mostly a shell for the player, there are some cutscenes where I would never be foolish enough to preform his actions. For instance:

Really, now...

(Sorry, I don't know how to directly upload videos to the forum. :embarrassed: )

I'm not that stupid. Many of us here aren't that stupid. Otherwise, this would be an alternate universe, since that would make GM an idiot... which is impossible unless it's in another universe/dimension sort of thing. :wacko:

LMAO! I love that part!

It wasn't really Link's fault though, he did the epic dodge but the statue didn't blow up so he went back to investigate. Perfectly reasonable.

Posted

But it was moments afterward. I'd make use of that telescope and investigate the safe way, to tell you the truth. After that, the statue would blow up, and I would probably topple over backward. But I wouldn't fly into another huge building made of stone. Yay. Okay, that wasn't the best example. Let me go get another one....

Posted

Well, hey, now. He didn't know the statue would explode. >(

How are you supposed to know something like that? All it did was glow. I would presume it was just a fancy, "Haha, you got the pearl and everything, now something's going to happen" glow, not a, "I'm going to explode with so much force it will send you flying through the air miles over ocean into a gigantic rising ancient tower, where you will hit every part of your body hard and fall into the water, remarkably still conscious" glow.

Speaking of which, those statues were very pretty.

If anything, I'd try to provoke the statue with my boomerang or something.

It's not that far, so a telescope would be a bit useless, yeah?

Sahaqiel

Posted

thats why ganon lays all those puzzles for link, because he thinks link doesent have mutch wisdom, but the kokiri taught him the stuff he needed to know :biggrin:

Posted

Only in OoT. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the desired cutscene, but it's in the Wind Waker (again :embarrassed: ) when Gonzo carries Aryll away. Aryll's shoutng, "BIG BROTHER!" and Link's just smiling merrily and waving. Okay, I know you're going to start telling me that Link was just trying to get Aryll to cheer up, but it seemed oddly like it wasn't, to me. Ah, well, I'm probably misreading the signals Nintendo gives us. :embarrassed: Good point, a boomerang could be used. Lol, it would explode with the statue, and Link would have been horrified that his beloved boomerang was gone. :biggrin: That'd make a cool alternate gameplay. Then again, Nintendo wouldn't let us, because we need the boomerang.

Also, when I wrote that last post, I was feeling a little paranoid, not sure why, but I'm all right now. :P I should have told you. Or not. Or maybe. Gah, never mind. :headbang:

Posted

He was rescuing Ayrll. Gonzo was carrying her to safety and like was just dandy about that. He finally had his sister back.

Posted

Oh. Yeah, I must be seriously misreading the signs. My bad. :embarrassed: By the way, I think it's time that we get back to the subject of the Triumph Forks.

Although Power and another Triforce piece totally fall, Wisdom and Courage aren't so hot by themselves, either. If you have them, but not Power, there's no point because you can't actually change anything. It's like an electric circuit. You need all three so that the (insert balance in a word form that makes sense here) can go around and around and around and around and around.... :wacko: That's how Balance occurs. You request three equilateral triangles outa pure, solid gold, that are all the same height. Then, you make them into an even bigger triangle by placing one on top of the other two. :P