Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Nintendo DS unveiled

27 posts in this topic

Posted

At Nintendo's press conference today, the latest version of the Nintendo DS has been unveiled, the DSi.

The DSi will have two 3.25-inch screens (17% bigger than the DS/DS lite). It also features a camera and an SD card slot.

------

It would appear that this is a straight follow-on from the DS lite and is not technically a completely new console (in the same way that the DS lite was an upgrade to the original DS). However, there are unconfirmed rumours that the top screen is also a touch screen, which would mean that new games created with that in mind could not be played on the current versions.

You'll be able to take pictures with the DSi, save them to your SD card and then transfer them to your tv via the wii. It has a built in browser and will also be getting it's own download service via the wii. These games, called DSiWare, will be stored onto the SD card and kept to play later (which is not possible on the current DS due to lack of memory). They will either be free or cost between 200 and 800 wii points.

The audio capabilities have also been improved. You can now adjust the pitch and playback of sound. It would also appear that it is possible to play music via the SD card. The GBA cartridge slot, however, has been removed.

The DSi is due to launch in Japan on the 1st November and in Europe sometime next spring. No specifics have been given for the US thus far.

[attachment=2659:ss_previ...si_2_jpg.jpg]

Posted

aww no more gba
oh well
looks great though

Posted

WHAT THE F***?!!!
SPRING?! WHY CAN'T IT BE RELEASED FOR F***ING CHRISTMAS?!

Posted

only three words i need it :faint: :worthy: :worthy:

Posted

Found the official website in case anyone here hasn't.
[url="http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsi.html"]Click here to see it.[/url]

No one else seems to have noticed this on any of the sites that I've been to, but from the pictures I've seen on the official site it looks like it will include an improved, colorized Pictochat. It also looks like you can use photos in it, too. I haven't yet been able to determine if it will be wifi compatible, but that would be nice.

---EDIT---
I was just looking at the pictures on the website, and I noticed something jutting out on the left hand side. Does anyone know what this could be?

Posted

the camera being only 0.3 mega pixels is a bit meh, hardly seems worth the bother with something that quality in this day and age...

Posted

I was completely elated while I read this. Camera, music player, SD support, built-in browser...
[quote name='Gingerlink' post='173994' date='Oct 2 2008, 03:29 AM']The GBA cartridge slot, however, has been removed.[/quote]
...but then my heart sank.

Posted

Good God... Nintendo's disgracing themselves. A DS that can't play GBA games is just like a Wii that can't play GC games. Seriously, WHY did they take out the GBA slot? It even makes the newly released Guitar Hero obsolete.

Posted

[quote name='Frahugganiffle' post='174288' date='Oct 3 2008, 08:29 PM']Good God... Nintendo's disgracing themselves. A DS that can't play GBA games is just like a Wii that can't play GC games. Seriously, WHY did they take out the GBA slot? It even makes the newly released Guitar Hero obsolete.[/quote]

So what? You still have your old DS that you can play GBA games on. The reason they probably excluded it was to make more room for the features like internal memory and SD card slot. I enjoy playing GBA games, but there's no reason to do it on another system when the inclusion of a GBA slot will probably increase the price.
I have one, small problem with it though, I think I will have trouble holding it in my giant hands.

Posted

[quote name='Overlord Aethix' post='174117' date='Oct 2 2008, 07:51 PM']Found the official website in case anyone here hasn't.
[url="http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsi.html"]Click here to see it.[/url]

No one else seems to have noticed this on any of the sites that I've been to, but from the pictures I've seen on the official site it looks like it will include an improved, colorized Pictochat. It also looks like you can use photos in it, too. I haven't yet been able to determine if it will be wifi compatible, but that would be nice.

---EDIT---
I was just looking at the pictures on the website, and I noticed something jutting out on the left hand side. Does anyone know what this could be?[/quote]

That would be the SD card slot.
Sahaqiel

Posted

Did the price go up for these changes? Or did it remain the same? Either way, I doubt I'll get one anytime soon... :unsure:

Posted

[quote name='Sahaqiel' post='174301' date='Oct 3 2008, 10:01 PM']That would be the SD card slot.
Sahaqiel[/quote]

No, the SD card slot is on the right side.

---Edit---

It's the volume control. Darn.

Posted

I was going to say something like, "Or maybe it's the power button. Oh wait, it's on the inside of it. Maybe volume control?"
But I was a bit lazy to edit it.
I looked at the different sides like five minutes after, and I was like, "Well, screw that. I'm going to bed."
Sahaqiel

Posted

aparently it has a lower battery life. it's expectd to cost around Au$255.

Posted

Sweet im not getting it though since I already have one.