The Storm.

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

-----Prologue: The Messenger------

"Who are you?
Edited by Aethix (see edit history)

Posted

Dude, this is awesome! ==|:D>

I love your writing style. When are you going to write more?

Posted (edited)

-----Chapter 3: The Barren Desert-----

The Lord and Ruler of Gerudo Desert stared at the Gossip Stone fragment resting in his hand. He gave it a quick mental command, and then waited for the all too familiar voice of his mysterious benefactor to emanate from the flawlessly cut crystal orb.

"Good day, Nagro." said the voice from the stone.

"Is it?" Nagro replied contemptuously.

"Is something troubling you?"

"Yes, as a matter of fact, yes, there is. That man you sent me, the really white guy, he was useless. Utterly useless."

"Useless, you say. How so?"

"Well, Captain Vooroo tried the guy's... abilities on one of Hyrule's knights. It worked like a charm until one of his men drew his sword. With that, the knight broke free. Just like that. He slaughtered ten of my best soldiers before we finally took him down! What do you have to say about that? Well?"

"Ah, there's the problem. He's not a fighter, you see. Wars are won by more than just brute strength, as you are well aware. That's why there are men like us, to be the intellect of those who cannot lead themselves. To rule over those who cannot rule themselves. We are the ones who are capable of leading. The man in question, however, was an infiltrator."

"An infiltrator...?"

"Yes, he can render himself undetectable to the human mind, put others in trances, the like. Unfortunately, his remarkable telepathic powers are... limited. Fear of death will override his hold on the mind. That must be what happened with your little knight friend. I really wish you would have consulted me before doing something so rash as that, though."

"Well
I
wish you had told me that sooner! That could have been helpful, you know."

"Well, it can't be helped now. What happened to my man in the fight?"

"Disappeared into the forest. We lost him."

"That... is most unfortunate. You should try to recover him as quickly as possible. Unlike most of my other... friends... his allegiances are not fixed."

"NOT FIXED!? What does THAT mean!?" Nagro exploded. "You mean he might defect?"

"It is entirely possible he already has."

"Wonderful. What are you going to do about it?" Times like this were when Nagro really despised the man. No matter how much he raged and yelled, the man remained sickeningly polite. No matter what Nagro did, the man never lost his temper. He couldn't get inside nameless man's head, and it drove him crazy.

"Ahahahaha... What am
I
going to do about it? It's your problem now, not mine. Why should I have to clean up your messes?" Oh, and he was condescending too.

"Excuse me? My mess? If you had told me beforehand about his shortcomings, I wouldn't be in this 'mess' in the first place!"

"...I see... of course... how inconsiderate of me. I'll begin working on a machine to track him down, immediately."

"A machine..."
Like yourself, you freak?

"But of course--if you're going to track down a mind controller, send something with no mind to control. It's as simple as that. He'll be completely helpless against it. Surely a man with a mind such as yours should be able to figure that out."

The presence in the stone receded, leaving Nagro alone in his room. In his fortress. In
his
dessert. He was after all, a descendent of the most powerful man who ever lived. This desert was his inheritance. Hyrule, on the other hand... he would
earn
his dominion over Hyrule himself. To succeed in all his ancestors' failings, to bring his family's name back the glory it deserved.

With or without the faceless voice on the other side of the Gossip Stone.

Posted

Nagro Dragmire. . .

This just keeps getting better and better. ^_^

Seriously, man. You have a better story so far then most of the canon games. I look forward Chapter 4.

Posted

It is a quite nice story so far.

Posted

-----Chapter 4: Setting Off-----

"It suits you, Link." Ralden said to his nephew in the horse-drawn carriage. Link was dressed in the simple green tunic and hat that had once belonged to his father. Strapped across his shoulders was a short blade encased in a beautiful ornate scabbard. "This is the outfit and sword your father returned with after the downfall of the Black League, when he wasn't much older than you are now." Ralden explained. Link had heard the story of the Black League many times. They were a band of dark sorcerers, believed to have come from across the North Sea. Cador had been one of the first villages to fall during the war.

During the attack, Ralden and Link's father of the same name were separated, and Link the elder disappeared in the battle. Six months later, the war ended in Hyrule's favor, and Link's father returned in the manner Ralden had described. He never fully explained where he went, or what he did, saying only "I found this sword, I fought, I helped defeat the League. That's all there is to it." Link's swift appointment to Lord Captain of the Knights of Hyrule less than ten years later led many to believe his role in the war was much greater than he let on, but everyone knew better than to prod into the quiet knight's mysterious past.

It was during one of Link's brief stays at the village that the fire broke out. The villagers were able to rescue Link the younger and his mother, but they never found his father or his remains. "Incinerated in the fire", it had been decided, but many believed that the fire was just a part of something else, something much larger and darker. Link's mother died three days later from her burns, leaving Link an orphan to be raised by his uncle.

"It's fitting that Mado is traveling with you", Ralden remarked, "he saved my life in the attack, you know."

"I jus' did wha' any decen' person would do", Mado objected from his seat next to Link.

"After your grandfather was killed in the attack", Ralden continued, ignoring Mado's modesty, "Mado was like a father to me all throughout the war--he taught me how to handle a sword, we fought together, and helped drive the invaders out of the village."

"If I recall correctly", Mado commented, "I taugh' y'how t'fight, and then
you
did mos' o' the drivin'."

Ralden laughed softly for a while, and then gave a sigh. "Mado, Link", he said slowly and deliberately.

"...take care."

Mado nodded slightly. They were on the edge of a catastrophe very similar to the war, the war they had hoped they would never have to face again. He could feel it--everyone could. After a pause, Mado broke the solemn air with a shake of the reins and a quick command to Epona, Link the elder's horse, which had been given to Ralden after his death, and slowly rode the cart away from the village. "Don' worry!" he called over his shoulder as the village disappeared from view. "We'll b'back b'fore y'know it!"

Link said nothing the entire time. The clothes he wore, the sword he carried, they were the same as his father's when everything he loved was taken from him, when his father was the same age he was now. It gave him a slight sense of pride, but deepened his sense of foreboding even further at the same time.

Just what have I inherited?

Posted

Nice, although Chapter four is a bit short.

Posted

Thanks guys, I really didn't expect this much positive feedback. I've got a lot of homework to do over the next couple of weeks, though, so it may be a while before I can post another chapter. I didn't really have a lot of material to put in chapter 4, so that's why it's short. I considered merging it and the scenario for chapter 5, but there's a pause in the events (one or two hours) as well as a change of setting, so I figured it was best to keep them separate.

Posted (edited)

NOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Oh well, I'll find something else to read on this site for the time being, although that would be pointless because I already read most of the topics that come up.)

Edited by Frost Giant (see edit history)

Posted

-----Chapter 5: The King and the Mage-----

"You summoned me, my liege?" asked the captain of the Hyrulean Army's Magic Division, standing at perfect attention.

"Reiun, I have a request for you", replied the King. "What can you tell me about Cador?"

Reiun, a born statistician, thought the question over carefully, then firmly replied "A highly important agricultural village shortly north of Castle Town bordering the edge of the North Forest. Birthplace of Link, Skubaric War-hero, and former Knight Lord of the Army. Currently home to Link's brother, Ralden, and son, also called Link, as well as another Skubaric War-hero named Mado. Clearly of significant economic, symbolic, and defensive interest to Hyrule. We recently received reports of monsters gathering on the border between the forest and the village, as well as..." Reiun paused for breath.

"...unconfirmed intelligence that soldiers under the command of known enemy of the Throne, Lord Nagro, King of the Gerudo, and presumed descendent of Ganondorf, have been marauding through the forest, searching for something of apparent value supposedly hidden within", Reiun concluded, never once shifting his body throughout his entire monologue.

"Yes, thank you, Reiun", replied the King, "and there's a possibility of an attack, and I need someone to travel over there as quickly as possible to oversee the defenses."

"And you want me to do it."

"Yes, I need someone who doesn't need to walk or ride, as I feel we are running out of time. I feel something terrible may happen if we do not hurry. It would be a grave disservice to Lord Link's legacy", the King solemnly continued, "if we allow any harm to befall his surviving son, or any member of his village, for that matter."

"Say no more", Reiun replied with a slight smile. "I'll make all necessary preparations in my chamber, and warp straight from there. Rest assured, sire, Cador is in good hands." He made a quick bow, spun to face the door, and walk briskly out of the room."

That man is truly unnerving
, the King thought to himself as he descended a flight of stairs to the Main Hall.
Still, he's an incredible mage, and as smart as they come.
Reiun had come into service about three years after the war, and risen quickly through the ranks, thanks in no small part to his incredible skill and intellect. He was well respected and admired, possibly even loved by his men.

"Father!", the King heard, his thoughts interrupted. "Are the rumors true? Is there really an army in the forest? Could Cador really be attacked?" From the tone of her voice, Princess Zelda was clearly ridden with anxiety.

"I don't know, darling, so I sent Reiun to verify our intelligence, and protect the village. Though... from the reports of unusual monster sightings, it's hard not to believe the 'Messenger'. I think he might have been right." Zelda groaned and turned her eyes away. "Don't worry, Reiun is the best mage in the country, everything will be all right", the King reassured, partially to Zelda, and partially to himself. "I'm going to address this right now, so don't worry."

"Yes, father", Zelda said softly.

The king sat in his throne and curtly asked for his generals' attention. "This is now an official war meeting", he boomed authoritatively. "Everyone who does not hold the martial rank of General, Captain, Chief, or Lord, please leave the room." He paused to wait for those not authorized to hear the information he was about to disclose to shuffle out of the hall, and for those who were authorized to seat themselves in their respective places.

Thank you all for coming. As you are all well aware, three days ago we were visited by a man calling himself 'The Messenger'." Several guardsmen shuddered at the memory. "During this visit, he informed me that Nagro, the rebel who was hunted to the Gerudo desert by our own Knights of Hyrule, is now building up an army. Just recently he has sent a search party to the forest north of Cador."

"What are they searching for?" a young General interrupted.

"If I knew and decided it was pertinent to tell you, I would have", the King answered, his temper rising. This was serious matter. Incompetence could not be tolerated. Lives were at stake.

"How do you know this information is credible?" someone else called out.

"Monster activity in the forest corroborates the story. Now shut up and listen! It is possible that Cador village is in danger of an attack. I have sent Captain Reiun to help oversee the defenses. We need to send reinforcements, before the monsters decide to make a run for the village, or the enemy search party runs into it. We need to-"

A sudden explosion ripped through the hall.

"Reiun!" the king cried, seeing the burned and bloody figure lying prone in the middle of the blast zone. "Reiun, what happened?"

"I... I c-couldn't... too... t-too many... I..." The injured mage replied weakly.

"Reiun, stay with me! Someone get a medic! Reiun!" the king shouted franticly.

"I... too late... too m-many... s-stop them... stop... the village... burning... all... all burning... s-save..."

"Reiun, tell me what happened! Tell me!"

"They came... so many... I... f-failed... I... I am... I'm sor... I'm sorry... I... I-I... I..."

"Reiun? Reiun, no! Stay with me! Reiun! Reiun!"

Posted

Thats quite nice.

Posted (edited)

-----Chapter 6: That Which we Seek-----

Captain Vooroo looked slowly around the ruined village, and turned his eyes downward, to the charred corpses several soldiers and dozens of moblins.

Accursed mage...

Vooroo

Posted

-----Chapter 7: Rising Tide of War-----

"There 'tis, Link!" Mado shouted as the wagon carried them toward town. "Hyrule Castle!"

It had been a clear day, 3 years ago, when Link had visited Castle Town for the first time. That was when he met Zelda. They played together all day while Ralden conducted his business as the village merchant, buying and selling various wares. The villagers of Cador sold their crops and goods to him and he in turn sold them in town. His past in the war had put him in high position with the Royal Family, and it served him and the village very well. Though Link never suspected his new friend was, in fact, Princess Zelda, Ralden immediately understood when a guardsman asked if he had seen a young girl matching the princess' description. Link's last trip had been eight months ago, and he had been looking forward to his next one ever since. He only wished it could have been taken under lighter circumstances.

The two rode into town, heading for the castle. The situation at Cador could only be described as a crisis, and the King needed to be notified immediately. As Link disembarked and ran up the road to the castle, Zelda ran from it and met Link with a tight embrace.

"Link!" she exclaimed. "Oh, I'm so glad to see you're safe."

Link pushed himself away from her. "What are you talking about?"

"You mean... you don't know? Link..." the princess said hesitantly. "Cador was destroyed."

Link felt his chest tighten. "Wha'... thah's impossible!" Mado protested in disbelief. "Cador... our home... can't..."

Zelda pursed her lips. "Come inside", she said concernedly. "You need to hear everything. It's horrible."

Hyrule is on the brink of war." She explained as she led Link and Mado into the castle. "I don't know everything that's going on, but something is definitely wrong."

"Jus' tell us whatcha know, princess." Mado encouraged, fighting back his own worry.

"Well..." she began. "Have you heard of a man named Nagro?"

Link shook his head. Seeing this, Mado began to explain. "Nagro was a nasty fella'. He claims to be descended from Ganondorf 'imself. He also claims Shiekah ancestry, but thah's not importan'. Few yea's back, while you two were jus' babies, Nagro led a rebellion agains' Hyrule. His small army was defeated easily, but he himself eluded capture. We chased him all ovah' Hyrule, but we never could catch o' kill 'im. It seemed he was always one step ahead of us--by the time we finally ran him into the Gerudo Desert, he had killed over a hundred soldiers by himself. I always figured he'd pop back up again sometime, jus' didn't figure it'd be this soon."

"Why do you say that?" Link inquired.

"Nagro was a good tactician, but he was also very cautious." Mado explained. "He would move in with a small, well-prepared army, fortify himself in a good spoh', and pick us off as we tried to attack. His problem was his army advanced so slowly, he barely gained any ground. We had some trouble with 'im at first, but once we learned to let him come t'us, we had 'n easy time. No, he was an agressah usin' defensive tactics, doomed t'fail. Another problem o' his was tha' he couldn't find very many soldiers, so his army was so small he couldn't do very much damage. Please, princess, continue."

Zelda inhaled deeply, then continued. "Nagro has massed a small army on the border of Hyrule, and sent another into the northern forest."

"What are they doing there?" Link asked.

"Father says they're looking for a weapon of some kind, I don't know what. You know so much about lore of the North, Mado, do you have any idea?"

"Weapons..." Mado mused. "There's the Master Sword... the Black League was rumored t'have lef' their Dragonstone in-"

"Dragonstone?" Link interrupted.

"It's supposed t'have housed some dragon's soul", Mado replied, waving his hand impatiently. "Anyways, there are a lot o' possibilities. The forest is full o' lore. I can't remember everythin'."

Link shook his head in confusion. "It still doesn't make any sense!" he cried angrily. "Why attack Cador?"

"I don't know, I just don't know", Zelda sobbed.

"Link." Mado reprimanded, pulling him away. "Calm down, worrying doesn' fix anythin'. You're jus' gettin' worked up an' you're upsetting Zelda, too. Be brave, and act like a man."

Link nodded, and the trio resumed their walk to the Main Hall. "Where'd this intelligence come from?" Mado asked.

"Well... a few days ago, this man in a black cloak just stormed through the castle, and told my father everything I just told you."

"He got a direc' audience with the King, withou' any process on anythin'?"

"No, he just stormed through."

"How'd he get pas' the guards?"

"Well, father says he put some kind of spell over everybody's mind. And-"

"Mind!" Mado exclaimed, freezing in his tracks. "No... oh, no..."

"What?" Link asked.

"The Psychora Monolith. It can't be a coincidence. That must be wha' Nagro's after."

"I think you are correct, sir", said a placid voice from behind. "That name has come up many times in our research of late."

"Ah, Reiun, what are you doing out of bed?" Zelda asked.

Link was shocked by what he saw. The young man had an unassuming appearance, yet his deep purple robes trimmed with silver suggested he carried a position of great power. He was also heavily bandaged, as though he had sustained great injuries recently. The man walked laboriously, seemingly struggling just to stand up. Link wondered if he could survive such grievous wounds so many wrappings must have concealed.

"You... are Mado, are you not?" The man asked, ignoring Zelda's inquiry. "I've heard good things of you. You know more about the northern region than anyone else."

"Thah's wha' I hear, too. Don' know if it's true o' not, but thah's wha' I hear."

"Reiun", Zelda repeated. "What are you doing out of bed? Those wounds are terrible, it's a wonder you survived! You should be resting."

"Zelda, so long as the King lives, he alone gives me orders. Though I appreciate your concern, others are suffering pains far worse than mine. I cannot allow that, and so, I am going to be useful to Hyrule, instead of sleeping in the infirmary while the world burns around me."

"Reiun, you-"

"I have a duty to my king and country. Reiun interjected. Turning to Mado he said, "I heard from one of my students that the King is holding a council in the War Room. I feel I have an obligation to attend, and I also feel you should join me."

"Me?"

"Yes, your wealth of knowledge would be most helpful. If you wouldn't mind, I'm sure your input would be most appreciated."

"All right, but Link'll have t'come with me, since I have nowhere else t'send 'im"

"Yes, I suppose that is best. He, too, deserves to know the nature of the force that drove him here. I will plead his case, as well."

"But Reiun-" Zelda insisted

"It is a council, Zelda, what harm could a council bring to me?" With that Reiun turned, and led the group up a flight of stairs, down a corridor, despite Zelda's continued protests, and stopped at a large set of double doors.

"Before you enter, there are things I must tell you", Reiun said solemnly. "There are many things being discussed within this room. Many of which are closely guarded secrets of the Royal Family and the Hyrulean military. You will learn much, and you will reveal much in turn. However, what you learn must stay secret. Many things will be revealed that few others know. This information must never pass your lips outside of this room. Can I trust you?

Mado and Link nodded in assent.

Reiun returned their nods, turned, and thrust open the doors of the War Room.

Posted

-----Chapter 8: Secrets of Old-----

Link found himself in a large room with an elliptical table in the center. At the far end of the table sat the King. Rows of chairs lined the floor on the two longer sides of the table, in which sat minor, less-decorated officers. Everyone in the room fell silent to look on the sudden intrusion. "Oh my!" a particularly large man sitting near the foot of the table jived. "Is Nagro sending gibdos after us, now?"

After the soft tittering had died down, a stern-faced King chided, "Captain Derrick, insulting the injuries of one who has shown such valor in combat as Reiun has in this time of crisis is hardly befitting of a man in your position."

The man grew silent, but still glared angrily at Reiun. "Now then", the King continued. "Reiun, are you capable of joining us?"

"Yes, sir", Reiun replied, unphased. "And, I brought a couple of old friends to join us."

"Hmm?"

"Your majesty, I am certain you remember Mado and young Link here."

Upon hearing Mado's name, many of the younger officers began to whisper among themselves. Link was amazed by the power his friend and mentor's name invoked. He had heard Mado's exploits were legendary, but he could never have imagined this level of idolization.

"Good, Mado will be very helpful, I'm sure. And we need all the help we can get to better understand our enemy. Captain Derrick, could you please make room for our guest? Reiun, your usual seat has been kept vacant--I have admittedly been expecting you for some time now. Link, Zelda, I suppose I have little choice but to accept your presence. You two may sit over there", motioning toward the side seats.

Derrick stomped, fuming, to the seats, Mado took his place, Reiun sat down in the seat just left of the King's, and Link and Zelda found two unoccupied seats near the head of the room. "Now then", Reiun said. "What have we missed?"

"Very little." the King replied. "We have merely gone over the usual formalities, which I know you detest, so we can truly get this council underway."

"Gentlemen", the King began, rising to his feet. "We stand upon the brink of chaos and destruction. Nagro, self-proclaimed descendent of Ganondorf and lord of the Gerudo, has committed an act of war against Hyrule."

"I wasn't aware Ganondorf had any children", piped up a young knight.

"He was 'n evil man who held absolute control ovah' the country f'yeah's", Mado answered. "Think abou' thah' f'a little while."

"The man grimaced, but it was obvious he understood. "Nagro", the King continued. "Has sent an army into our country, desecrated our soil, and attacked our people. This cannot go unchallenged. The village of Cador has been taken by Nagro's forces." There was a gasp of horror from the side seats. "Reiun, please report your findings."

"Yes, your majesty. As many of you know, I recently traveled to Cador to assist in the defenses against an impending monster attack. Upon my arrival, I found that the village had already been attacked, but not by forest monsters, but by an army consisting of men and moblins. There was a battle underway to resist these invaders, so I thought to assist the defenses. I, and the other defenders, were eventually overwhelmed and defeated. I managed to escape, but the status of Cador remains uncertain, though it is most likely occupied by the enemy. Here is what I know so far--the army entered the forest from the northwest, likely following the border that extends from the Hyrulean-Gerudo border to the northern coast. They then circled around and attacked the village from the south while the soldiers were all posted north to repel the monsters."

"Thank you, Reiun", said the King. "Now, this army is currently believed to be searching the forest for a weapon of some sort. We do not know the exact nature of this weapon, as--yes, Reiun?" in response to the man's raised finger.

"Your majesty, if I may speak..."

"Yes, Reiun."

"Thank you, now, after much thought and research into the matter, I have come to the conclusion, which Mado's personal beliefs corroborate, that the object of Nagro's search is the legendary Psychora Monolith."

"I'm sorry, Reiun", the King interjected. "But for those of us who don't know, could you please explain to us what exactly the Psychora Monolith is?"

"Of course", Reiun replied, clearing his throat. "The Psychora Monolith's history is a long one, which stretches back to the very founding of our country of Hyrule. The human mind contains great power, known as psychic energy. Hyrule was born in war, and the first king wished to use this energy as a weapon. After much excruciating research and experimentation, the Shiekah mages in Hyrule's army not only discovered how to control psychic energy, but also how to create fields of it bound to physical objects that could survive on their own without being sustained by their creators. This led to the creation of the Gossip Stones, created to form a network of spies and scouts, continuously and tirelessly surveying the land. At first, information had to be taken directly from the stones themselves, but as advancements were made in our understanding of magic and psychic energy, a way was discovered to send this energy over long distances. Even after all the stones had been refitted with this ability, something needed to be built to receive and process everything they picked up. This led to the construction of the Master Gossip Stone. Unfortunately, the field within this stone was so great, and so powerful, that the laws and bindings restricting its power were broken. Unleashed, this power caused incredible devastation, and it was almost as though it became an entity unto itself. This new instrument of destruction was titled the Psychora Monolith. In a great battle of wills, the Shiekah were able to seal its power in the stone, and the monolith itself was buried beneath the Deku Tree. All knowledge of how to control psychic energy were lost with the Shiekah, and all we know of it today is the power to communicate through Gossip Stone fragments, such as the one that rests in front of the king", he said, motioning toward the table. "If the power of the monolith is reawakened", he concluded. "its destructive power will be released upon the world, once again."

"This only makes the situation more dire", the King said. "Send more troops to the forest, Nagro must be stopped."

"More troops?" Link questioned.

"Yes", the King replied. "We recently sent a battalion to retake Cador. But now that we know the true nature of what we're dealing with, I am sending reinforcements to the forest itself. We cannot allow Nagro to find the monolith."

Suddenly, the irregularly cut blue stone sitting on the King's place at the table began to glow with a pulsating light. The King turned to it, and said, "speak captain, what have you found?"

"Sir, we just reached Cador Village", the voice from the stone said. Link heard the voice, not completely in his ear, not completely in his head, but seemingly in both at the same time.
Psychic energy...
he thought to himself. "We found it deserted by the enemy", the stone continued. "Populated only by half-starved prisoners of the enemy who had presumably been left behind when the enemy abondoned the village."

"Good", the King replied, letting no emotion show. "Arrange a convoy to escort them back to the castle."

"Yes, sir... hold on, a man by the name of... Ralden wishes to speak with you."

"Hmm? Yes, he may, give him the stone", the King replied as Link's heart leapt at the knowlege his uncle was alive.

There was a brief silence as the stone exchanged hands. "Your Majesty", addressed Ralden from the stone. "I have information that you may wish to hear about our enemies. It's very important."

"I'm listening."

"The enemy army currently stands about one, maybe two hundred strong. They are led by a desert man named Vooroo."

"Vooroo, I've heard of him", the man sitting just right of the King remarked. "He is said to possess great physical strength. A bit slow of thought, though he is quite cunning."

"Yes, Lord Caleb.", Reiun replied. "He has the intelligence to make decisions and the strength to carry them out."

"There's more", Ralden replied. "They're trying to unearth the Psychora Monolith."

"So that confirms it", Caleb said in a low voice. "We really are dealing with such ancient horrors."

"Do you know how close they are to finding it?" asked the King.

Ralden paused for a moment, then answered, "They know it's beneath the Deku Tree."

Caleb rose to his feet. "That's all I need to hear", he murmured. "I will mobilize the knights immediately. Whatever ragtag army Nagro has thrown together cannot possibly be a greater threat than this. We head north withing the hour."

"But it's just a legend", Derrick scoffed.

"So was the triforce", Caleb answered before sweeping out the door.

"Thank you, Ralden", said the King. "This is just what we needed to know."

"Your majesty, if I may", Reiun inquired. "Mages would be much more effective in dense forestland than heavily armored soldiers. So if I could send-"

"No, Reiun", the King said, cutting him off. "We need a small force to ambush and decimate Nagro's army at the border before our main force arrives to finish them off. Though Lord Caleb's words may be true, we cannot turn a blind eye to any threat. Send off a force of your charge to the desert, Captain Reiun. You too, Captain Derrick.

"...Your word is final", Reiun replied, with a slight twinge of anger in his voice. Derrick

Posted

Man this is a great story.