Veggie Tales

67 posts in this topic

Posted

veggie1.jpg

I recently had to babysit for my 8 year old niece, Now I have heard of Veggie Tales in the past but being that I am an adult I have never actually watched it until that moment. What I saw shocked me, I have never seen such blatiant religious propaganda in my life. Even "Passion of the Christ" wasn't as blatiant as this!

Posted

I have no idea what that is, but from the picture it looks like a harmless show about veggitables.

If you give me a link I'll watch the show.

Posted

I always thought it was religious propaganda from when I first saw it.

I also saw Bible Man, and oh gosh.

Everyone wields light sabers and the protagonist is a superhero called, well, Bible Man.

And he does battle against the forces of evil and skjf;ajsdkl;jsaf

Gosh.

But yes, Veggietales is as such.

Sahaqiel

Posted

I suppose you could call it propaganda, technically. Still, there's nothing wrong with it.

Posted

A lot of things are propaganda. But there's differences in the spectrum between blatant and discreet propaganda. They're both easily detected, but the more blatant, the more shameless and hard it is to really take seriously, I guess. Discreet propaganda is like, "Oh ho ho, I see what you did there", then you try to assess the situation and see if the message is actually being truthful.

I'm thinking Veggietales is more in the blatant area than say, Coca-Cola ads.

Sahaqiel

Posted

It's not like it's telling kids to go out and kill all the Germans, though. I watched a lot of those, and never once, until I read this topic, did I think "propaganda".

Posted

Propaganda is anything that tries to make you not think for yourself.

But most of the time, it doesn't have any proof and uses kind of downhand techniques. Coke and many other food products have commercials where people are smiling, having fun, and drinking Coke, therefore putting the thought in your mind that Coke makes you happier.

Veggietales also uses this technique, albeit in different ways.

Sahaqiel

Posted

No, propaganda is information that promotes a certain viewpoint. I haven't seen any kind of "downhand techniques" in Veggietales. Veggietales is kind of like Aesop's fables with a religious component.

Posted

"Makes you not think for yourself" kind of coincides with "promotes a certain viewpoint".

Veggietales, I feel, puts out the message that "religion is good".

Sahaqiel

Posted

I was stocking the shelves and came across another Movie series that puts Veggie's to shame, it's called "Angel Force"! Basically it's SciFi retellings of Bibel stories! And quite a shocker it's distributed by EMI CMG (the CMG meaning Christian Media Group). I hate how they feel that forcing their religion on kids will help bolster their herds. My parents tried to force that crap on me, but luckily I could see through the myths and see the truth. It's all lies and hypocrisy. I'm lucky I was born now and not during the inquisitions I'd be tortured and killed because I refuse to be told what to believe.

Posted

I like that message. So what? I can think for myself and still reach that conclusion. If you don't like it fine, but why does it have to be "bad" to be religious? Last time I checked most religions teach peace, love, and forgiveness.

Posted (edited)

I like that message. So what? I can think for myself and still reach that conclusion. If you don't like it fine, but why does it have to be "bad" to be religious? Last time I checked most religions teach peace, love, and forgiveness.

I think the problem arises in unfairness. Imagine the commontion that would be caused if all walmarts across the world started pushing out dvds & shows that were heavily pro-athiest or (even less likely) pro-muslim, while at the same time removing all pro-christian dvds.

Of course there'd be an uproar, now this is a hypothetical situation, but in real life, how many pro-athiest / pro-muslim dvds / shows do you know of? some might say science shows promoting theories like evolution and the big bang theory are being pro-athiest, but off the top of my head I cant think of too many of them. And why should christianity be the only one - or at least the most popular one?

In all fairness, it should be that all types of religions can promote, publish and distribute all their own little propaganda dvds / shows, but I think this would actually have a negative effect on society, and at the end of the day, I dont think there should be any forms of propaganda at all. There should, instead be shows about teaching multiculturalism and differences in society so people are more comfortable around people that are of a different race / culture / gender / sexuality ... (the list goes on)

on a very much unrelated note, has anyone seen the drawn together episode featuring veggie tales? classic.

Edited by ZuZu (see edit history)

Posted

There should, instead be shows about teaching multiculturalism and differences in society so people are more comfortable around people that are of a different race / culture / gender / sexuality ... (the list goes on)

Actually, that would also be propaganda.

Posted

No it wouldn't. Propaganda tells about facts selectively, and uses underhand techniques. A video that shows multiculturalism wouldn't have any bias towards a limited amount of belief systems.

Veggietales is guilty of the following techniques:

Ad nauseam:

This argument approach uses tireless repetition of an idea. An idea, especially a simple slogan, that is repeated enough times, may begin to be taken as the truth. This approach works best when media sources are limited and controlled by the propagator.

Bandwagon:

Bandwagon and "inevitable-victory" appeals attempt to persuade the target audience to join in and take the course of action that "everyone else is taking."

* Inevitable victory: invites those not already on the bandwagon to join those already on the road to certain victory. Those already or at least partially on the bandwagon are reassured that staying aboard is their best course of action.

* Join the crowd: This technique reinforces people's natural desire to be on the winning side. This technique is used to convince the audience that a program is an expression of an irresistible mass movement and that it is in their best interest to join.

Beautiful people: (In its opening theme and generally everywhere else: the "good veggies" never seem to quit smiling)

The type of propaganda that deals with famous people or depicts attractive, happy people. This makes other people think that if they buy a product or follow a certain ideology, they too will be happy or successful.

See the article here.

Documentaries are hardly propaganda, especially if it's about diversity. They're not saying one group is better than the other, or that you should root for one side. The only thing I can think of that might be used in a show about diversity would be beautiful people, because it seems television in general does that a lot. Maybe common man.

But Veggietales definitely appeals to the younger crowds, and wants to gain the approval of children who think it might look like a good show. I know when I was younger, I watched anything that kept me even slightly entertained. Wacky talking vegetables that seemed really cheery might have been seen as something enjoyable.

Sahaqiel

Posted

I think the problem arises in unfairness. Imagine the commontion that would be caused if all walmarts across the world started pushing out dvds & shows that were heavily pro-athiest or (even less likely) pro-muslim, while at the same time removing all pro-christian dvds.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but atheism isn't a belief, right? It's an unbelief, in you will. That being said, it isn't right to push out atheistic videos to children. Atheism doesn't have a set belief, anyone could claim to be an atheist and believe whatever they want. There is no core fundamentalism to being an atheist other than not believing the existence of gods. The reason Veggie Tales dvds are made is not only to be propaganda, though I agree that they are, they are also used to teach values to a child. Making an atheistic video in response to Veggie Tales is only out of malice, since the dvds aren't hurting anyone.

I don't mind a pro-muslim dvd if it was true and taught values. Atheism has no values, because atheism itself doesn't really exist. It isn't a belief, you simply disbelief in gods.