Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The REAL reason people use IE6

64 posts in this topic

Posted

^ Same. Firefox was being a prick and not wanting to shut down properly. It's window-less process would hang there, sucking up my system's resources until I finally realized it, and killed the process. And that's happened pretty much every time I've used Firefox for the past... several weeks. :(

So now I use Chrome. :D

And the beta has Extensions support. The only Extension I want that they are missing is NoScript. But I've seen that the developers are trying to port it over. So yay!

^_^

Posted

Man, my comp in Victoria had IE (because I couldn't get rid of the damn thing), Opera (I happen to like it), Firefox (for StumbleUpon and the occasional thing that's incompatible with Opera) and Chrome (recently trying it out because it's faster for loading videos). I don't think I really need four browsers, but that comp is old and has some eccentricities.

Personally, I like Opera, but it started running slowly since the last major update. I still like it, but Chrome is starting to become my browser of choice.

Posted

^ Same. Firefox was being a prick and not wanting to shut down properly. It's window-less process would hang there, sucking up my system's resources until I finally realized it, and killed the process. And that's happened pretty much every time I've used Firefox for the past... several weeks. :(

So now I use Chrome. :D

And the beta has Extensions support. The only Extension I want that they are missing is NoScript. But I've seen that the developers are trying to port it over. So yay!

^_^

I had that problem for Firefox 3.5, but I fixed it by installing Firefox 3.6

Posted

I'd like to hear what evidence you have supporting those words in bold. Because, from what I can see, those are biased opinions. I have a mac that runs firefox just fine, thereby rendering your sentence a fallacy. Macs, when compared with Windows, lack in only two categories: Pricing and Gaming. Windows loses to Mac in every other category. A Mac can even run Windows natively, thereby rendering your argument against Macs futile.

Not to change the subject again, because I'll give my 2 cents on browsers here in a moment, but...

I find major fault in this quote. I was an IT Coordinator for 2 years and Macs are at an extreme disadvantage in a number of categories in addition to the two you listed. The main two I would add to gaming and pricing are networking and web design.

Networking macs works, but when running sophisticated servers in an office environment, hosting to both the net and local networks, macs are a joke, and if you're forced to use them for that, it is infinitely more work to set up and to maintain (and in many cases it just can't be done). If you want me to elaborate I will but I assume nobody wants that. haha

Also, you cannot be a web designer and run a mac. Unless you're an idiot. Whether you like it or not, IE still makes up 65% of the browser usage on the interweb. IE cannot be run on a mac, and if you can't test your designs on the most dominant browser on the net (and also the most problematic) then you're never gonna make a cent.

That brings me to my next point... IE blows. From a design standpoint, all other browsers decipher and render webpages years ahead of the curve in terms of keeping up with the advancement of design and code and the various changes that happen to the liquid medium that is XHTML/CSS. Every fun feature you make for any website has to have pages of extra garbage added to make it work in IE, if it will at all. IE is also the most resource draining browser out there.

Firefox is a close second in the resource department, but it's display of XHTML is always the most advanced and you're therefore less likely to run into crashes and improperly displayed websites while surfing.

Chrome is the fastest (and I mean that in the terms of resources used) and it is light-weight and streamlined, but not updated as often and not as receptive to creative code as Firefox. It's also not as safe, Firefox has held that belt for a long time.

I use Firefox because my PC has plenty of ram and a fast processor so the difference in speed between it and chrome is negligible. On a slower computer I could see it being an issue though, I suppose.

To reiterate... IE blows.