Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

This is quite possibly the most disturbing thing I've ever seen.

70 posts in this topic

Posted

Ah, I'm not quite being understood. It's not that people want to rebel, it's that they simply don't care. Here's what I've discovered:

In this day, age, and society, teenagers have developed this mindset of, "you're only young once." While this is true, they think of it in such a way that it excuses reckless behaviour and, in fact, protects them from the consequences. I can't tell you how many times the whole, "but I'm just a kid! There's no way this could be happening to me" logic comes up in schools.

This is because teenagers love the thrill of the risk, which is something I could argue is due to the degeneration of our social standards and their moral bases. Of course, that would lead to a whole different argument in itself, so I'll leave it at this: through a combination of disinterest in school, rebellion, stupidity, and a sense of invulnerability, teenagers in our culture will often disregard what they are told if it isn't going to immediately benefit them. That's unfortunately just how things are nowadays, in this downward-spiraling society we know.

Posted

I never had sex ed.

I know how STDs spread.

Therefore, sex ed is not necessary to know how STDs spread.

So it seems we're in agreement. Sex ed is completely unnecessary.

I don't think you count for over even 1 or 2% of the population.

Some people still think that AIDS can be spread through touch or saliva or something.

People don't know that oral herpes can spread to genitalia and genital herpes can spread to the mouth.

The only other thing in my life that encourages condom use is television, and I don't even watch that.

I mean, I like to think I'm fairly informed, but then I know people who definitely know they are not. And when I think about it, I'm pretty sure they're going to get some kind of STD if they're not careful. And they're not careful.

I don't see our society as downward spiraling, shadowknight. Perhaps people have less of a regard for tomorrow, but I feel they'll get on track once they get there.

I also enjoy the growing tolerance/acceptance of various groups.

Sahaqiel

Posted

I'm gonna throw in my $.02 here, and I'll start off with a story, a true one, in fact.

My Fiancé's brother grew up with the family in a small town in Texas, he went to a small Christian school where the only thing he was ever truly taught about sex is "don't do it, God doesn't want you to till you're married". He got his girlfriend pregnant when he was 17 and she was 15. He honestly did not know that sex caused pregnancy because it was never really taught. It was a taboo subject. He was then the shame of the town, the family honestly considered moving, it was that bad. But he wound up getting left by the girl for another guy, and thrown into a long depression.

This is a true story, and it's actually a fairly common one. Saha has a point in saying that the earlier we expose people to the information of sex, sex spreads STD's, AIDS, causes pregnancy, so one and so forth, the easier it is for them to understand the ramifications of their actions. DOes this mean that kids are going to listen to it, or that they won't have sex, no, but they can't say they weren't informed. Aethix and Shadowknight also make good points about sexual experimentation at a young age, but that has NOTHING to do with sex-ed or when it starts, it has to do with kids doing stupid things, younger and younger. Here is my question to you, where are the parents,on both counts, when a 14 year old gets pregnant? It isn't that they had sex-ed at five, it's that parents didn't teach them right from wrong, and then left two 14 year olds unattended.

Now, sex-ed, I believe, should be started at an early age, but then I come from a family where my mother makes test tube babies, I've heard thid stuff since I was little. When most kids were understanding the birds and the bees, I had a full working knowledge of the male and female anatomy, and had seen the full birthing video. Do I have a child running around today because of that? no, I don't. Do I have sex with lots of people? No, I don't. That's not to say I haven't had sex, I have, with one person, my Fiance. And I am fully ready to take the responsibility of a child or putting that child up for adoption, and beyond that, I am stable enough in my family, financial and social environments to raise a child. Why did I wait? Because I understood what would happen, and that I should wait till I find the woman I want to be with, and for when I would be ready for what can happen if things go wrong. Condoms every time, and her on the pill. My education doesn't come form the Bible, or my own thoughts, It came from two sources, the school, who gave nothing but facts, and my family, who gave both facts and morals.

That being said, I know that the law in Missouri is that sex-ed is Optional until Health class in High School, and you parents have to sign a waiver for you to participate, so with this idea, here, at least, parents would have to sign saying their child could participate, and I thing that would be a good compromise for both sides of the debate.

Oh and Latex Condoms, used correctly, protect against all viruses and pregnancy, and Trojan guarantees their condoms against anything but breaking, and electronically tested for "micro-holes". It's a long debacle, but people have successfully gotten child support from condom companies who failed to mke a quality product.

Posted

2 cents? XD Hah, that's a hearty 3 dollar bill there, Socrates!

Yeah, where my opinion is concerned... o: I think teaching children information about sex at an earlier age is a good thing. Honestly, no matter what age they are... Teaching a certain individual will have the same effect. If you teach a really bad and cool boy about this at 13 and he decides to go and have unsafe sex anyway... How would that be different if he's taught this when he's 7? Well, it would probably have a few different scenarios, but what's it matter? For the rational-thinking people out there, learning at an earlier age seems best. That way, before they try to have sex, they'll know the risks they are taking and have the option of being safe with it.

... Instead of learning sex impregnates human beings after the fact... That was kinda funny. Though, I blame the Christian school.

Posted

My two cents? Kids will have sex, regardless of how, when, and where you inform them and regardless of what you tell them. You could tell them that their penis will fall off, and they'll still take the risk. Not everyone will have sex, but some will and that's just the truth. It's best to inform them of the consequences as early as possible, though age 5 seems a bit premature.

That being said, I also think we should try to keep kids from having sex, at least until they are in a stable relationship making a good living. Sex is fun and all, but it isn't worth losing a childhood over. Guys and girls will still be there when you grow up, and if you wait then you'll have a much more enjoyable experience anyway, especially if it's done in marriage with someone you love more than anything.

Posted

Sex is fun and all.

Ohoho, you sly dog you.

I too, think that 5 is a bit early... I honestly consider 5-year olds as infants. I just can't help but seem tham still as organisms that can't think properly just yet... At least not good enough to successfully communicate with. Maybe around the age of 9, perhaps?

I probably would like to learn about all that jazz someday... Just so I good live in a happy relationship, while having occasional safe sex with my spouse in the future... Though, I can't say I've really needed it yet. I'm such a punk.

Posted

Well, I personally believe that sex ed should never be mandatory. If some random stranger starts lecturing me about sex, my reaction is "it's none of your business". I don't have any problem with it being taught, but kids shouldn't have to take it.

Posted

I share that opinion. o: I actually really don't want to be bothered with it... But I want to be truly happy with my partner some day.

It really bothered me when people would come in to our school in 8th grade to lecture us about sexual education. :c

Posted

Yeah, Socrates and Lionheart!

High fives, all around!

It's good to know I'm not a one man army, over here.

Sahaqiel

Posted

Well, I personally believe that sex ed should never be mandatory. If some random stranger starts lecturing me about sex, my reaction is "it's none of your business". I don't have any problem with it being taught, but kids shouldn't have to take it.

Well, the "forced" sex ed that we require, in my state at least, is basically a week of anatomy, how the penis and vagina work, how pregnancy happens, what happens during pregnancy, and STD's symptoms and meds and how they spread, so yeah, I think it should be mandatory to have a basic understanding of how the human body works.

Posted

I'm sorry for my closed-mindedness, I've been in something of a bad mood for the past few days, and honestly, people were really bothering me a lot with their stupidity and apathy, which, as you can see, was reflected in my posts.

So yes, sex-ed is a good thing. Yes, people should know how the body works. No, I don't think children as young as age five, or even ten, should learn about it. My reasoning behind that is that at that age, they can't even comprehend abstract thoughts yet. Their minds work in very specific ways, and they think in a very concrete manner. They don't understand much of anything, they just learn the facts. The concrete facts. As they mature, their minds do too, and they begin to think in more complex ways. I think that we should start teaching them sex-ed at that time, around sixth grade, for most (though around here, most graduating seniors don't seem to have even begun that process).

Because if we try and teach about complex things during the concrete stages, it just won't be understood. If we teach complex things once they can understand, they are more likely to get a good grasp on what they are being told.

Although honestly, I can't be completely shaken of the impression that I get from the people I go to school with, which is that the youth of today just doesn't care enough to be worth the effort. If you display the desire to learn, you should be taught. If you don't care, don't waste the teacher's time. Just go out into the world and learn the hard way.

Posted

My two cents? Kids will have sex, regardless of how, when, and where you inform them and regardless of what you tell them. You could tell them that their penis will fall off, and they'll still take the risk. Not everyone will have sex, but some will and that's just the truth. It's best to inform them of the consequences as early as possible, though age 5 seems a bit premature.

That being said, I also think we should try to keep kids from having sex, at least until they are in a stable relationship making a good living. Sex is fun and all, but it isn't worth losing a childhood over. Guys and girls will still be there when you grow up, and if you wait then you'll have a much more enjoyable experience anyway, especially if it's done in marriage with someone you love more than anything.

This is probably the first and last time I agree with you. Though in my opinion, age 5 is okay as long as they teach it the right way. Stuff like separating the boys from the girls and then telling them the most basic information about their respective organs as possible. (Here I tried to put examples, but I can't seem to be subtle at all today.) That way they won't go out shouting "I HAVE A PENIS!" and making every adult in the vicinity crap bricks.

Posted

This is probably the first and last time I agree with you.

Geez man do you hate my opinions that much :/

Posted

It's because you're so full of faith in me. :c

Posted

:D