Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Where does God come from?

265 posts in this topic

Posted

I like how LDS and LSD

Posted

This started because I was talking about how relatively unbelievable the origins of Mormonism are, not because I said Mormons are bad people.

Sahaqiel

You also said "Did Mormonism even add onto concepts of morals? I think it just messed around with the whole God system in general, correct me, if I'm wrong." So I did.

Also, this thread is about religion, and your religion, and many other religions, tend to badmouth other religions, or assume they aren't worthy or are in need of correction. This isn't much different.

WE don't need to do that HERE. It accomplishes nothing.:\

I see going off topic as something inevitable. After all, we're a Zelda forum that specializes in discussions that aren't even vaguely related to Zelda.

Yes, this is a Zelda forum, but the Serious Discussions section of that forum. And again, nothing has been said for several pages that seems to actually relate to the topic. Going off-topic for a little while is fine, it isn't like we can make a new thread every time something unrelated comes up, but really, this is nuts.

Posted

So, like, I haven't been following this at all, but I think the reason we can get away with saying stuff like "God sucks balls lol" and whatnot is because God has a healthy sense of humour. If I died and saw god or something, I bet he'd be wearing glasses and a mustache, and maybe a wig.

And he'd say "Pull my finger" and I'd be like "Kay," and I would, and there'd be an earthquake, and we'd be like, "lol."

Posted

You can't be perfect and be stern all the time, in other words

Posted

I bet he made Squashes and things like that when he was drunk. Or lacking sleep.

Posted

I bet he made Largely Legendary when he was really really Horny.

Posted

Jesus seems like the kind of dude that would be in a band. I can just imagine Jesus jammin up in heaven with Santa and Gandhi. And God is constantly telling Jesus to get a job.

Posted

I always thought Samson was more into the rock band lifestyle. I mean, he never cuts his hair, he hangs out with all the wrong women, and he always has to bring down the house when there's an audience.

Posted

And he killed a thousand guys with the jawbone of a donkey.

Posted

What if god is tricking us? I mean, if he is powerful enough to create us then he is powerful enough to have at least partial control on the flow of information getting to us. What if he created us and the material world, but he didn't create the unseen world, the very fabric of the universe? What if he's just a demiurge, while there is an almighty god but, not in the sense that we know it. In the sense that it is everything. It created nothing consciously, but it gave things the ability to begin. It was the catalyst that started everything, but it controls nothing in the way that we think of it. And then the being people think of as 'God' comes into being, and creates the physical universe that we can see, or maybe even just the earth. And he rules it, because he can. But he is imperfect, and believes in imperfect notions of 'right' and 'wrong', which are imperfect because the universe is. It is not based on a set of moral rules. What you can physically do is neither right or wrong, it just is. However, because of his notions of 'right' and 'wrong' he has created a group of people that believe in the same notions. Whether this is a good thing or not is up to you but it does mean that there can never be a fully accepting world where everyone accepts people for who they are. To some extent, everyone is expected to have the same basic values. But even though this is true, it could also be true that without this notion of 'right' and 'wrong' society could not exist on this scale. Life would exist, but interaction might not, at least, not as we know it. I personally believe it would be a better world, as everyone could feel how they want to feel. Some of you might say that because there a no values on what is right then everyone could just be horrible to eachother. But it's actually quite rare for people to be horrible without other factors coming in. When was the last time you heard of someone hating someone simply because they want to hate them. If there is no 'right' or 'wrong' then there is no sane reason for anyone to have any problems with eachother. Because at its heart, all hatred stems from not understanding someone or not agreeing with what they believe. With no 'right' or 'wrong' nobody would feel that.

But despite all of that, we live in an imperfect world, created by an imperfect ruler. I say we try and make the best of it, and do things that make us feel good.

Posted

What if he's just making you think that?

Posted

If the being that rules the universe says that there is right and wrong, and there is nothing more powerful than that being, would that automatically make concepts of right and wrong true? Also, if God rules the universe, wouldn't that make him perfect by definition, since no other perfect thing exists to replace him?

Posted

Also, if God rules the universe, wouldn't that make him perfect by definition, since no other perfect thing exists to replace him?

No.

Posted

Also, if God rules the universe, wouldn't that make him perfect by definition, since no other perfect thing exists to replace him?

Why do we need to assume that a perfect being rules the universe? If God is imperfect, there wouldn't be any perfect being to replace him. An imperfect being cannot create a truly perfect one, not having the knowledge of perfection themselves.

Posted

Everyone knows right and wrong/good and evil are just concepts of persuasion.