Talk

16818 posts in this topic

Posted

I will definitely post step-by-step pictures. I may even do am Instructables-style walkthrough of the build, in case any of you want to try it.

I didn't have any luck scavenging for materials yesterday, but the latest I'll have the wood by is Sunday, when I get back from the flea market. I wish I could buy two more pieces of maple to build a wooden ring body and neck, and go find an old drumhead too, but I can't afford anymore maple. I spent $70 on the piece for my bass.

I'll build the banjo with found wood and a cookie tin, if you don't mind, and maybe make a full wood one later.

EDIT: Scratch that, I went out in my backyard to play with my dog, and out of the corner of my eye I see a piece of wood. I brought it inside, planed it down just enough to flatten it and clean it up, and was surprised to find a (damp) piece of hardwood. It isn't maple, but it'll work. As I was in my garage, I found another piece of wood suitable for building the ring. All of this is based on a few builds and instructables I've seen online, so hopefully it'll all work out.

Posted

@YLA: ARF. Arc Rise Fantasia.

Its an annoying short boss battle against this guy called 'Deathchanter.' :\

Ok then.

Anyway I got home from helping my aunt. I got paid with a penny. >_<

Posted

I threw up my chipotle.

Posted

That sounds bad. At least you didn't have blood stains in your underwear. (South Park joke.)

Anyway I just beat Megaman Zero 3. I only have MMZ4 left.

Posted

Happy late birthday, PH. I'm sorry about your chipotle. :(

And all this instrument discussion makes me wish I had some musical talent, but alas no. My parents own both a keyboard and acoustic guitar, but I haven't played the keyboard in a long time, and I've never tried the guitar. Though, I think I'd like to learn. Every time I've been to a campfire, there's always been one of the guys with his guitar, and I always wished that was me.

Anyone else think learning to read music is difficult? I gave it up...it's harder than Japanese, I swear. x.x

Posted

Yes. I'm in band and I still can't read it. xD

Posted

That sounds bad. At least you didn't have blood stains in your underwear. (South Park joke.)

Anyway I just beat Megaman Zero 3. I only have MMZ4 left.

My mouth was covered in blood by the time I finished throwing up.

Posted

That's a bit distressing. Shouldn't you get that checked out?

Posted

I'm going in for surgery on Thursday.

Posted

Oh, man. I'm sure it'll go well and that you'll feel better after!

I effectively built a really crappy banjo in under 5 hours. I made the neck out of a piece of landscaping timber, and because I couldn't find a cookie tin, I used a metal bucket. It sounds really crappy, but it serves as a proof of concept while the glue on the three pieces of wood that are actually going to make the neck on the good banjo dries. Yes, I'm taking pictures. They'll be posted once it's all finished.

Posted

My mouth was covered in blood by the time I finished throwing up.

Ew. Yeah surgery sounds like a good idea when that happens. Hope you feel better soon.

Well I won't be on much today. I have a band picnic at 11 and then my friend is taking me to another picnic and then I'm staying at his house tonight.

Posted

YES

Posted

I think I've heard of that band. Like once for no reason one of their songs were in another window with a creepy picture playing the song and I didn't notice it was a song.

Posted

Guys. I played a freaking Virtual Console today. Think about that. A real life Virtual Console. Coolest thing EVER.

Basically, me and my friend were looking on Craigslist for a Game Boy that we could use to make chiptune music (or at least 8-bit parts for regular music) and we saw an ad for a vintage game store. So, we headed on down to check it out. They have everything. We got the Game Boy, and I got Rocket Night Adventures for the Sega Genesis. While there, we played the Virtual Boy (the guy had four in stock), a Neo Geo, an NES, and a Dreamcast (which he's selling in perfect condition for $40 because of low demand).

It was a really cool store.