Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

You are not entitled to the money I earn.

46 posts in this topic

Posted

America is becoming a welfare state. All of these government entitlement programs, like Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and now Obamacare are burning through the money earned by hard working Americans.

So, I ask you- What makes you think that you are entitled to receive money from my pocket?

America was built on equality of oppertunity, not equality of economic status. When the government tries to raise someone's economic status by giving them funds directly, is it equal that nobody else receives those funds? And if everybody received those funds, there would still be inequality, just at a different degree. The greatest inequality is the forcing of something to be more equal.

Every time you claim an entitlement, you should ask yourself: "At who's expense?"

Many of you argue the fact that "You have to do whats right for the poor", or "What about those who are physically and/or mentally handicapped? "

Lets look at some statistics, shall we?

On average, religous conservatives were 25% more likely to donate (By their own choice) to the poor, an 23% more likely to donate their time in volunteer efforts. The actual gap in the average donations was pretty significant too, ~$2200 for religous conservatives, and only ~$640 from progressives. [1]

Everyone here knows that FDR was a progressive. You simply cannot argue that. but if you just look at his taxes, they reveal that he liked spending the money of other people more. in 1935, he made more than $75000 (1..2 million in 2010 dollars), and he gave only 2.5% of his income to charity. [2]

However, I'm not calling for the immediatie removal of these programs, but a gradual, speedy, and efficent removal.

More statistics on the costs of entitlement programs:

The cost of 2 programs, Medicare and Social Security will be described here.

Last year, the costs of these two programs exceded the entire economic output of these countries (Without stacking values): Switzerland (About 3.5-4 times), Sweden (About 3 times), Turkey (About twice), Russia (Slightly), and almost matched Spain. The cost also exceded the cost of the entire Vietnam war by about 200%.

By 2020, the costs are expected to double, and the possible adition of Obamacare may take effect.

This is what the government spends money on (Estimated 2011):

Social Security: 738 Billion

National Defense: 738 Billion (The only one in the top 4 that belongs there)

Income Security: 567 Billion (To clarify, this includes welfare, unemployment, ect)

Medicare: 498 Billion

Health: 381 Billion (Medicaid, possible other programs)

Net interest on our national debt: 251 Billion

[1] Arthur C. Brooks- Who really cares: The Surprising Truth About Compassionate Conservatism

[2] Franklin Delano Roosevelt's tax returns: http://www.taxanalysts.com/thp/presreturns.nsf/Returns/#F0BA87E176A72FA85256E4300078A69A/$file/F_Roosevelt_1935.pdf

Posted

Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? 'No!' says the man in Washington, 'It belongs to the poor.' 'No!' says the man in the Vatican, 'It belongs to God.' 'No!' says the man in Moscow, 'It belongs to everyone.' I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Rapture, a city where the artist would not fear the censor, where the scientist would not be bound by petty morality, Where the great would not be constrained by the small! And with the sweat of your brow, Rapture can become your city as well.

Posted

Haha, nice.

Posted

Clark Kent for president

Posted

I'd sure as hell like some help with college.

Care to lend me some, GMP? I find it funny that you think we're all entitled to the sweat of our brow and not others money. Funny, because, to become wealthy or to even survive, you need others. You CANNOT survive off of just yourself. From the moment you're born, your parents have cared for you (as theirs cared for them.) After you "grow up," you either get a menial job (the sweat of your brow and money you earn) or you go to college. On whose money, though? Either your parents or other peoples. There's no way you've saved up enough money doing menial jobs to pay for a college education. And I find it funny you have this holier than thou attitude, since you're not anything yet. Just a child. Let's say you do get a good education and a high paying job. Good for you. But I guarantee the country probably won't need you. If you or your company go bankrupt, sure it will hurt the economy, but America will survive. But if every janitor, every carpenter, every electrician, every plumber, everyone that does any job you find beneath you quit at the same time, America would fall into chaos. We ALL play a role in this world and we ALL matter, including those less fortunate. You should be happy to provide someone else with some respite just because they aren't as blessed as you.

People who are rich are rich because of:

1) Their parents

or

2) They got into college because their parents were rich or someone gave them money

or

3) They got lucky as hell (Bill Gates).

All three rely on other people. Bill Gates did not "earn" money. People enjoyed the product and bought it from him. The people control his wealth. If they never did this, he would still be a broke dude.

I'd like to see you survive a week without getting help from anyone, including your parents. You couldn't do it. No one would give you a job because you're young. You'd be out on the street ruffling through trash or begging. Have some consideration for others and shut the puppy up.

Posted

I love how organized your topic post is. <:

Posted

I'm not big on this stuff, but I DO know that all the people on welfare don't need it. My mom was brought up on welfare, because she was actually poor, and her mom worked the best she could. Now, my mom went to college, and my mom makes a lot of money for our family. My dad helps too.

The people on welfare are just on it because their all fat and lazy, and they don't want to get jobs. Families like mine suffer because of people that don't want to work, less money out of our pocket, and less money to help support OUR family.

Posted

GMP is the WBC of politics. He is loud and inflammatory and pickets funerals, but if you ignore him he will go away.

My mom was brought up on welfare, because she was actually poor, and her mom worked the best she could.

The people on welfare are just on it because their all fat and lazy, and they don't want to get jobs.

Why is it so hard to believe that there are people out there like your grandmother, who worked hard but needed the welfare money to raise your mother? Is your grandmother fat and lazy? Is your mother?

Posted

Lol, GMP. You forget that you're poor. No one has self-made wealth and you aren't some noble, working-class hero of the people. You're just some poor kid from like Tennessee. Somewhere, some rich puppy is saying "Why do these poor kids (you) deserve my money for schools?" And aren't you like 14? You can't even work and don't. I think you only deserve to have your attitude if your quality of work is exceptional and you're of value to society. But when you're a future Walmart employee, you can't really talk about how the government is keeping you down. It all comes down to this: if you deserved to make money and be wealthy/comfortable, then you would be.

Get over yourself, you can whine about it all you want, but you're more on the receiving end of the welfare than the giving end.

1.)I plan on fining the form to actually withdraw from Social Security/Medicare/Ect.

2.)MICHIGAN.

3.)16

4.)The federal government has no constitutional authority to fund education.

5.)Quit trolling.

Care to lend me some, GMP? I find it funny that you think we're all entitled to the sweat of our brow and not others money. Funny, because, to become wealthy or to even survive, you need others. You CANNOT survive off of just yourself. From the moment you're born, your parents have cared for you (as theirs cared for them.) After you "grow up," you either get a menial job (the sweat of your brow and money you earn) or you go to college. On whose money, though? Either your parents or other peoples. There's no way you've saved up enough money doing menial jobs to pay for a college education. And I find it funny you have this holier than thou attitude, since you're not anything yet. Just a child. Let's say you do get a good education and a high paying job. Good for you. But I guarantee the country probably won't need you. If you or your company go bankrupt, sure it will hurt the economy, but America will survive. But if every janitor, every carpenter, every electrician, every plumber, everyone that does any job you find beneath you quit at the same time, America would fall into chaos. We ALL play a role in this world and we ALL matter, including those less fortunate. You should be happy to provide someone else with some respite just because they aren't as blessed as you.

1) Their parents

or

2) They got into college because their parents were rich or someone gave them money

or

All three rely on other people. Bill Gates did not "earn" money. People enjoyed the product and bought it from him. The people control his wealth. If they never did this, he would still be a broke dude.

I'd like to see you survive a week without getting help from anyone, including your parents. You couldn't do it. No one would give you a job because you're young. You'd be out on the street ruffling through trash or begging. Have some consideration for others and shut the puppy up.

1.)In some cases this is true. The parents can work hard, innovate, make a fortune, and earn respect. The rich kids, however, i.e. Paris Hilton, might be rich, but they are foolish and have no respect.

2.)Student loans. Although it techincally is their money, as long as you are fiscially able to repay the loan once you get a job and start making money, there are no problems here. Also, they are intelligent because they preform a service for many, and make a profit off of it for themselves while improving the lives of others. Either way, you are paying for it, if you made money on the stock market, got a student LOAN (Re-read the capitalized word, because it's important. You pay the money back to them, plus interest, which is their fee for providing th service.) Lening companies OFFER to provie this service, they are not forced to.

3.)Bill Gates was a brilliant innovator. Luck had almost nothing to do with his success.

Also, quit with the whole "Taking things way to far and making me look stupid" thing. The concept of parenting is important to the survival of humanity. You know exactly what the puppy I mean. Quit being a dumbass.

Another point: You probably should have posted tl;dr before the start of your post, because you clearly didn't read anything but the title.

I'm not big on this stuff, but I DO know that all the people on welfare don't need it. My mom was brought up on welfare, because she was actually poor, and her mom worked the best she could. Now, my mom went to college, and my mom makes a lot of money for our family. My dad helps too.

The people on welfare are just on it because their all fat and lazy, and they don't want to get jobs. Families like mine suffer because of people that don't want to work, less money out of our pocket, and less money to help support OUR family.

Thank you. Alot of these entitlements for the poor aren't just going to the poor. Take S-Chip, for example. It was started to help the legitimate poor and needy children with health needs, and for a short while, was ran well. Then, the law was changed to allow states to decide acceptable income limits to claim S-Chip. Thats when S-Chip became a clusterpuppy, with income limits at 200-350% of the poverty level. A family of 4 in NJ can claim S-Chip benefits with a total income of ~$75,000.

GMP is the WBC of politics. He is loud and inflammatory and pickets funerals, but if you ignore him he will go away.

Why is it so hard to believe that there are people out there like your grandmother, who worked hard but needed the welfare money to raise your mother? Is your grandmother fat and lazy? Is your mother?

I don't picket funerals, nor do I support the WBC.

Also, Kimmy, these entitlement programs could be cut down drasticly from where they are right now. The people with only a LEGITIMATE need should receive government money, and none of the money used in this way should come from tax revenue, but other sources, like the post office, which the government cannot only operate to generate revenue but is constitutionally authorized, though the post office is being run into the ground and is in desperate need of reform.

Posted

1) Their parents

or

or

You make a good point, but there's a difference between choosing to help somebody and the government taking your money and giving it to whomever the hell they want to. You can't compare charity and welfare. Some programs are worth the money, such as funding for public schools and libraries, etc., but a lot of programs are horribly inefficient black holes of wasted money, that either provide no solution to any problems or only provide temporary solutions.

Also, Bill Gates did not get "lucky". He used his talents and skills to make products that lots of people wanted to spend money on. In making these products, he created "wealth", that he traded to other people for "money". So, yes, he did in fact "earn" his money.

Posted

First off, there is a huge amount of difference between a child needing his parents and an adult who chooses not to work because they make more on welfare (some say this does not happen, I worked with a girl who not only quit her job to get welfare, but had a second child to increase the check). Those menial jobs, believe it or not, are a vital part of our economy and society, I wouldn't knock them too much.

As for college, I've paid for a bachelor's degree by working those menial jobs, no parental support with tuition the past three years. I will continue to pay for my tuition with whatever jobs (you read that right, plural) I can work.

As for student loans, they aren't other peoples money unless you get them subsidized, you are liable for veery cent you are loaned in them.

There are those less fortunate, but there needs to be a change. people will need hep getting through a hard time between jobs. There are those who will need help getting healthcare. But we need to stop feeding a system that produces lifelong recipients. That is not acceptable, and needs to be addressed. And I think you would be amazed at the amount of janitors, electricians, plumbers and carpenters that have six figure a year jobs. Just because they didn't go to college certainly does not mean they are well paid. Just remember that next time your trash gets picked up, the dirty guy grabbing your can, likely makes more than you.

1) Their parents

or

or

This belies a total misunderstanding of a free trade system. Bill Gates certainly earned his money. If he didn't, than every business owner who has made a living of their ideas never earned their money. If your money didn't require someone to purchase goods or a service form you, then you did not earn your money. You seem to have the idea that the only people who "earn" their money have to physically work hard or go to college for some menial job. This is most certainly not true.

There are plenty of people form poor backgrounds that get into college without scholarship. Those student loans are exactly what they say, they are loans, not a handout. You have to pay those back after you graduate, the "student" label only means that it doesn't need to be paid back till after you graduate.

I challenge anyone to live for a time on solely their own dime before they say that it can't be done to others, or themselves for that matter.

Posted

And I think you would be amazed at the amount of janitors, electricians, plumbers and carpenters that have six figure a year jobs. Just because they didn't go to college certainly does not mean they are well paid. Just remember that next time your trash gets picked up, the dirt guy grabbing your can, likely makes more than you.

Useful trades are just that- Useful.

And this brings up yet another point- Personal Talents. We all have our strong and weak points. For example:

I am good at woodworking, but you put a broken car in front of me and I have no idea what do do.

Jared is good at his Zelda mods, an hasn't really gone into what he isn't good at.

I'm sure all of you have experienced sucking at a school subject, and getting interested an ahead in a school subject as well.

Those talents push innovation.

Posted

^ this, also GMP you should take note that she was using you as a metaphor, not that you = WBC. Good job.

and this is all totally relevant because 16-year-olds who haven't even finished high school have legitimate opinions and backgrounds because they totally have had government experience and have had interaction with the political process...oh wait, you've been under your mama's roof all your life and you can't even vote.

Idk, I think it's silly how personally people take this, I mean I understand that it affects your life but I just know that if I pay off my credit card bills and do well in school because my parents are financially supporting me so I can get a job and I don't puppy up too bad, I can probably move somewhere that's not America for a few years. And I'm really thankful for my parents, I'm really blessed, it's nice. So me giving some help to the less fortunate, the disabled, the elderly? No problem.

Posted

^ this, also GMP you should take note that she was using you as a metaphor, not that you = WBC. Good job.

and this is all totally relevant because 16-year-olds who haven't even finished high school have legitimate opinions and backgrounds because they totally have had government experience and have had interaction with the political process...oh wait, you've been under your mama's roof all your life and you can't even vote.

Idk, I think it's silly how personally people take this, I mean I understand that it affects your life but I just know that if I pay off my credit card bills and do well in school because my parents are financially supporting me so I can get a job and I don't puppy up too bad, I can probably move somewhere that's not America for a few years. And I'm really thankful for my parents, I'm really blessed, it's nice. So me giving some help to the less fortunate, the disabled, the elderly? No problem.

I don't think it's silly at all. It can be very disheartening to someone who spends 40-60 hours a week working hard to provide for themselves and their family to know that up to 1/3 of their paycheck is going in taxes and SS, and they will likely never see the return from much of that.

I have no issue giving to the less fortunate. I have a problem with my contribution being taken by force. I understand, again, that we must alleviate the burden for those with disabilities, the elderly who have worked their entire life, and so on, but we don't need these people who live on welfare for their entire life(this coming from someone whose parents were on welfare for a short time). It isn;t meant to be your lifeblood permanently, it is to help you get back on your feet.

Posted

Cirt, I am actually very interested in politics. And it disappoints me when people see youth as stupidity. I may not be able to vote, but I still have the right to have opinions and personal belifs about the political system and ways to make it better and more efficent.

Its not a problem at all, and its wonderful that you support charities. But its your choice to give, you shouldn't be forced to.