Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Galileo

13 posts in this topic

Posted

So, my girlfriend likes to argue and debate. A lot. It wasn't like this when we first started dating, but as time went on and she started sleeping less, she kind of changed. She went from holding true to her beliefs, which is totally alright with me, to fighting over the smaller and less significant points, to finally fighting over stupid, completely irrelevant things.

For the past two days, my Physics class watched a documentary on Galileo and his life. Obviously, a big part of that situation was that he got deemed a heretic by the Catholic church and put under house arrest, even though he was a devout man. The church's handling of the situation brought up a simple question to my protestand mind: how can the Catholic church be entirely right 100% of the time if they made such a mistake as to officially denounce the greatest scientist of the time? Since all Catholics have to follow the dogma that says the church is always right or risk being heretical themselves, I figured this was a valid question.

So, I asked. It started off tame, but she didn't seem to know much about the actual situation. I tried explaining it to her, but she decided to read the explaination offered by catholic.com, and things got unexpectedly bad. All of the sudden, she was arguing that although the church was wrong, their actions were justifyable because we don't know how devout he actually was, and that he didn't have a reason to go into theology in the first place, and that he directly attacked the church with an intentionally aggressive book. The thing is, that's what the Church says. History says that he sent his two daughters to convents and wrote them letters that we've found (they show he was pretty devout), that he was forced by the Church to explain why he was going against common belief (so he tried to explain that he wasn't going against scripture), and that his book was written to be accessible to the common people, not to attack his friend the Pope.

She argued and argued. When you realize that this was an argument about a guy that died over 350 years ago, you'll probably see how ridiculous this is.

Posted

So is this a rant about your girlfriend or a rant about her arguing style, using this as a way to voice your opinions to people who aren't ignorant to the subject.

Just what it seems like, from the huge chunk of the post that was about the argument and how much more right you are than her. If it really was about her, I don't feel like you would have gone into so much detail about such a 'ridiculous' argument.

I ask this because if you're looking for intelligence, you've come to the wrong place hurr hurr

Insulting my peers is what keeps me alive

Posted

The Pope is infallible, dawg. He's always right about everything always.

If he says there's a tree on his bed, BAM. Tree on his bed.

Posted

You know, 'cause religion is never flawed. All religions are correct and every one of them is 100% accurate all the time. Don't cha know this?

Posted

I'm Catholic, sort of, and even I don't believe the pope is right 100% of the time.

That's just stupid.

Posted

/thread

Posted

0mg d00d das juzt blasfemy, i dun lyk dat, plz st0p.

Posted

Religion is a sensitive subject.

Aside from that:

PURGE THE HERETICS.

Posted

I am the pope from the future and I am 100% right all the time about everything, even your personal life.

Do not argue or burn in the fires of my furnace.

Posted

I am Pope of Space.

Posted

You win this round Bond.

Posted

I win all rounds.

I am Pope of Space.

Posted

You won't beat me in a dance battle, I'm Soldier of Soul.