Discuss Anime and Mang

7276 posts in this topic

Posted

(This is in response to Eka's post.)

Yeah, I get you with the style. It is kind of appealing, especially in motion. I'm glad you can appreciate Bones' hand animated mecha, too. It's crazy how rare that's getting lately and also very sad. I mean, it's understandable, I can't even imagine how much goes into animating characters, let alone giant, immensely detailed mecha.

Yeah, I was just suggesting them because of their designs. Captain Earth is pretty bland right now, but it's gotten somewhat interesting. I do want it to get MORE interesting though and not in the department Brown McBoobs is thinking of doing so. In fact, thinking about the characters is making me upset. They show some sort of well-developedness at times though. The most recent two episodes have actually been pretty good, to be honest. Then they just kind of ruined that, or so it seems.

Can't speak for Overman King Gainer though. All I know is that that girl is Anemone no matter how you look at it. Besides that, all I know is that the OP is p. damn good and also well-animated, so that's good enough for me to get interested in.

Maybe Bones should just hire other studios' writers to write for them so people will stop making fun of them for their endings and also get good characters/stories from them more often. On the plus, they get to spend 100% of their time animating those delicious mecha all over the screen. It's the perfect combo...

No, but really. This guy's face:

WCEYOwu.png

I really can't stand it. Also, they need to stop making Rentons. I just watched Nerawareta Gakuen (Which was p. mediocre) and the protagonist was pretty Renton. Both in looks and character. And maybe voice.

Posted

Yeeeeeeessssss, watch G-Reconquista, and forever be snared by the power of GUNDAMU

Eka likes this

Posted

Fun fact: when I first saw an episode of eureka 7, back in like 8th grade or early high school or whatever, I thought his name was Brenton

Also, it was the soccer episode. Every time I saw eureka 7 on adult swim it was the soccer episode. It happened like 4 times

Eka likes this

Posted

Soccer episode was best (or at least one of. Nothing better than interrupting the world-saving drama with a good game of soccer to promote teamwork pff).

Sounds like I'm gonna have to watch Nerawareta. Also mnnnnnmmnnnmm Overman's animation is uh, debateable (imo it was just... bad... a lot of the time - character designs were fine but the actual animation most of the time . . . . . ) Overman's pink-haired girl is pretty much Anemone, yeah. Yoshida sketched a quick picture with them together too.

3169.png

Posted

Eka I tried watching the first episode of space captain or whatever it was called and it was really boring. Has the rest been okay?

Posted

Pheo you have the attention span of a rabid lemming

Posted

Agreeing with Necro.

Also, rewatched Ponyo. I expected to have my opinion of it lowered, but it actually made it better. It's definitely a children's movie and didn't seem to have much of a message, but it was a cute and fun movie with Ghibli's charm and animation.

Watching Genius Party next, which Teto has seen the "sequel" of, but not the original, strangely. Speaking of that, maybe I should just watch them both in sequence. You have it as a 7, but I also have other compilations as above average scores, so it should still be good stuff.

Also, also, for anyone that's wanted to watch The Wind Rises/Kaze Tachinu, there are torrents up for it with the English dub in case you're into that weird stuff. I watched it in theaters and it was a fantastic watch. Miyazaki's apparent last movie, too, so give it a try if you love some Ghibli.

Posted

Ghibli dubs are usually pretty good

Teto and T1g like this

Posted

Watched The Wind Rises once through in Japanese. Will give it a go in English too. It was pretty good, though it doesn't particularly stand out among other Ghibli movies in terms of how fun it was to watch. I'll need to watch it and other Ghibli movies again with a fresh perspective. Seems so long since I watched most of those films.

Posted

Actually, while thinking about it in bed, Ponyo's message was kind of just "accept people for who they are and not what they are/look like", which, in Ponyo's case, is her being a goldfish. Sousuke, of course, doesn't care since she's magical and shit, that's awesome, mang.

Anyway, yeah, it's definitely one of the more serious movies they've come out with. It's story and message were good though among the many Ghiblis. It has a place among the classics, but I think the American commercials, anime websites, and /a/ hyped it up waaaaaaay too much. Like, it's stupid how much hype it got for what it was. It's not my favorite Ghibli, but it's still a great watch. Better than Tales From Earthsea... but most things are.

Posted

Was feeling pretty skeptical about how good The Wind Rises would really be up to when I watched it. The boxart for the DVD on Amazon has the line "Hayao Miyazaki's farewell masterpiece". Pretty sure you should only call things a masterpiece in retrospect. Needs a few years at least.

Posted

Yeah, the commercials for it even said that. They really needed to calm down a bit. You're only setting people up for disappointment by calling it a masterpiece.

Also, just finished Pokemon: The Origin. I feel like this is also something everyone gave more praise than it deserved? It's good and all, but not amazing, in my opinion. I enjoyed it, but I remember people loving it to death. I'm a big Pokemon fan and all, but I guess it just wasn't my thing. Well, it is my thing, but not really my thing.

Posted

It was just a bunch of fun fanservice. Great for what it was. We watched it in our club and it got a great reaction

Posted

Snorlax using hyperbeam was literally terrifying

Posted

Aldnoah Zero had a good first episode, I am going to keep watching it

Its the Urobuchi Gen anime of this season, but I don't know if this is actually his work, or if its just another Gargantia, where he only wrote the first and last episode and everything in between was written by different people (which made the show suffer, obviously. never change off writers each episode)