Discuss Anime and Mang

7276 posts in this topic

Posted

I just watched End of Evangelion. 

I feel like the few animes that I sit down and watch all end with a character ascending to godhood and destroying stuff while they have inner monologues about their anime ideals and they do a bunch of weird stuff that is probably symbolic of something. But oh, wait. It turns out that their godhood allows them to rewrite history or something and save everyone. I just spoiled half of all animes ever.

I am looking at you, madoka and paprika

lol, you think EoE saved everyone???............

Also I thought EoE was fairly straightforward.

Unit 01 turned into a god etc. etc.Rei contained the soul of Lilith and acted as her instrument, Tabris (Kaoru) contained the soul of Adam and he allowed Lilith's children (humanity) to succeed the earth, but

then instrumentality happened, everyone turned into orange Tang, Eva Unit 01 was sent into space to preserve humanity's existence, and Shinji was given the choice to remain without Instrumentality and he took it, taking Asuka along with him. Everyone else remained in the ocean of LCL and Shinji and Asuka essentially became the new Adam and Eve.

So everyone is essentially dead except for Shinji and Asuka.

Madoka also has a much different ending now, with the third Madoka movie after the first two recap movies. It's pretty much the EoE of Madoka.

Paprika isn't really comparable. I don't see what you're going for there. Everything was ruined.

Posted

I always got the feeling that if anyone else in instrumentality wanted to leave, they could. Like, people would just start showing up eventually

Posted

In Paprika she turned giant in the end and did a bunch of stuff.

I didn't know that Shinji and Asuka were the only living ones. I honestly was fine just watching the series without the movies.

I feel like Wikis and research and the movies take away from the art of it. The ending of the series was more memorable and meaningful to me than the explanations behind it. This is just my own stance on it.

Verity likes this

Posted

It really wasn't in the research. They explicitly say that Unit 01 was sent out to preserve a shard of humanity's existence, and pretty much all that other stuff. Also yeah, Instrumentality is an opt-out situation. But I think it's supposed to take a long time because instrumentality is pretty much a kind of heaven, hence Rei's method for turning everyone into tang. So in my interpretation at least, Earth pretty much hit the reset switch and life had to start over from the beginning of human history.

Posted

I missed that. I planned on rewatching it soonish.

Posted

My friends' brother and I started watching Full Metal Alchemist. I already watched it, but he's never seen it. I'm reliving all these feels that I thought I'd never have to go through again.

Posted

GODDAMN IT PHEO I FINISHED BERSERK.

AND THE ENDING WAS THE SADDEST THING EVER SO NOW I'M GOING TO READ THE MANGA TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS AND IF PEOPLE ARE LIKE ALIVE LIKE CASCA AND SHIT AND ALSO THE NEW MOVIES CAUSE THEY LOOK PRETTY I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY weep

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

hahahahaha

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHA

WELCOME TO BERSERK MOTHERFUCKER

Eka likes this

Posted

I had a friend that wouldn't watch/read berserk cause he heard about

the eclipse and what happens to casca and the rest of the band

We tried to tell him that the series goes on quite a long way after that, and that its a lot more than that, but he was being kind of a baby about it. But then he got a job where he gets really bored, so he started reading it. Fun times

Eka, pheonix561 and Agent Zako like this

Posted

I may or may not have ordered all 3 of the new movies on BD I hope you're happy

Also today is a sad Friday with no Jojo :c Is it delayed a week or.. ?

pheonix561 and Agent Zako like this

Posted

Well, according to Crunchyroll:

Due to production issues, episode 24 will be delayed till late night PST. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Posted

the movies are compilation films though

Posted

Yeah, but I go on that spiel every time somebody mentions watching the berserk films. Just keep in mind they have the same problems as every other compilation movie, and that they're derivative of the manga. So stuff is going to happen in the movies that didn't happen in the anime but won't make sense or carry the same weight as they did in the manga, so just be aware of that if you watch them before you finish the golden age arc in the manga.

That said, the english dub of the movies features the same voice actors for casca, guts, and griffith as the anime did, so that actually gets me excited to go back and see them in english. Did you watch the english dub? It was pretty good, and it both featured eggman as the commander of the heavy whale knights and misty as princess charlotte.

Posted

BEHOLD MY SECRET TECHNIQUE WHERE I SPIN MY SPEAR OVER MY HEAD AND LEAVE MYSELF WIDE OPEN

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

After finding out Necro did, and being spurred on by Blue Blazes, I finally bit the bullet and watched Arcadia of My Youth, the Space Pirate Captain Harlock prequel/origin movie. And it was SO GOOD. The animation is gorgeous, especially when the action gets going, and Harlock is the absolute coolest dude. The story covered way more material than I expected in it's just over 2 hour run-time. There was a moment about halfway through where I thought, "Oh, surely this is the ending, they've already covered so much," only to find out I had an hour to go, which is definitely a pleasant surprise in this situation.

Anyone interested in checking out the stories of the legendary Leiji Matsumoto, I'd say Arcadia of My Youth is a good place to jump in. The anime series and manga for Space Pirate Captain Harlock as well as Galaxy Express 999 both take place chronologically after AoMY.

Eka and pheonix561 like this