Discuss Anime and Mang

7276 posts in this topic

Posted

This also means she is PROBABLY going to feature prominently in the second season

which is coming out really soon. October 9th, baby!

Posted

Tried watching Angel Beats and I got bored and went to sleep.

Teto and Knuckle like this

Posted

:D

Posted

You're doing it wrong.

Posted

Ping Pong has a pretty stellar soundtrack, and after that fight at the end of the first episode, I'm p. interested now.

Teto likes this

Posted

I'm surprised you haven't watched it already tbh. It's got great characterisation and development. The competing players each differ in work put in, reason for playing, and sheer talent. It's interesting to see how they develop with regards to their variation on those three aspects.

It's adapted from the manga by Taiyo Matsumoto, who consistently does really good characterisation. I'll mention again how good the manga Sunny is, which is currently ongoing. Read that one too. It has a lot of different and interesting characters, with the common tie being that they all live in, or are involved with, an orphanage-type facility for kids whose parents don't want to/can't look after them, but don't want to give them up. Like kids whose parents are ill in the hospital, or some whose parents are simply escaping the responsibilities, but tell themselves they'll come back, as if to avoid the guilt associated with leaving their child behind. It's a good slice of life manga made up of everyday scenes with an underlying sadness about each of them, sensing the deep sadness of some of the characters. Seeing inside them what isn't immediately apparent on the surface. It's really well done.

Sahaqiel and Fierce Muffin like this

Posted

Also, tyvm on reminding me about the soundtrack. Gonna go listen this to death now.

Sahaqiel likes this

Posted

Yeah, times have been ruff. I haven't followed a series for awhile.

The Chinese guy that shows up in the end of the first episode is when the characterization shines. That's what got me really interested.

Posted

I actually havent watched ping pong past the first episode either. It was a candidate for a club show, but I decided two Yuasa shows at once was a bit much

Posted

Aldnoah Zero ending

What the puppy man

Posted

Yeah, times have been ruff. I haven't followed a series for awhile.

The Chinese guy that shows up in the end of the first episode is when the characterization shines. That's what got me really interested.

Every central character has good characterisation. China's is probably the best though to be fair, because he seems like one of the most alienated characters, and so he probably has the most monologue time. There are even a side character that shows up about 30 seconds at a time in 5 separate episodes and interacts with nobody, who has a really good characterisation arc that wasn't in the original manga, which I read in anticipation of the series. Reading the manga before the anime was a good move really because the anime contains everything in the manga, but streamlined for the television format, along with some added characters to aid in character development. 

I assume that the central theme of the series is just the nature of competitive players, without much regard to the sport itself, though it is animated well. Another aspect of the characters isn't just exploring their playstyles and talents, but also age; with the veteran teachers and people who have had their careers or passed them by. China is kind of the middle ground as a player who has been working at his career for a while and is more mature than the majority of the younger characters, who are really just at the beginning. It's really the before and after of competitive play as well as being mainly about the kids. It has a good cast of older characters, and their interactions with the younger generation, which is nice to see.

Fierce Muffin likes this

Posted

Man. I don't even know anymore. Ping Pong is so hype for me, it's unreal. Watched episode 10 again because it's so good every time. It's another one of those cases where another layer of meaning is revealed to you from the symbolism each time. I'll spoiler this one.

I never gave the climbing/flying contrast much thought. Kazama sees improvement as a slow and painful climb to the top, whereas Peco is the hero, gliding easily on wings. Taking joy in the game allows you to improve and progress painlessly, and even to enjoy the ride, and that's what flying is all about. The joy of gliding higher and higher; not climbing constantly, digging in your fingernails to keep from falling down and losing progress.

Fierce Muffin likes this

Posted

6ntN9CY.png

I got Kaffles a terribad dollar store figure because I thought its anatomy was hilariously horrible, particularly its chicken nuggety, asymmetrical thighs. I wanted to just buy it for her so we'd have a laugh about it but due to a somewhat complicated chain of events I lost it and couldn't get it to her. Today, I bought another one and wanted to do something extra so it'd be funnier. At first I was thinking some kind of superhero: "Horribly Conceived Anatomy Man" or something along those lines. So I started to paint the figure, but then I was like well, she likes Attack on Titan, and I now have an idea.

y4NNkxj.png

I call it, Disfigured Titan. I'm not done with it though.

T1g, Eka and Knuckle like this

Posted

So, I feel like most of us would be put off by an adaption of a game that we've never heard of and even more so if that game is a card game, but this one looks cool as heck, check it:

Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis

It looks like it's got a classic "Nabe" character and Byakuya(Bleach) x Dandy for the main characters. Along with girl. Seems like it should be decent. It's got Tiger & Bunny director, Studio Mappa animating, and these two PVs look fantastic. So, hopefully it just goes full on over-the-top action or somehow manage to pull out a fantastic story and characters along with great action, which would be better obviously, but not expected. Also, I've got a fetish for incredibly massive creatures and this seems to feature quite a few, like the giant mechanical creature that came out of the wall or Bahamut(I assume) himself.

Either way, probably looking forward to this the most out of anything next season. Which is a terrible idea considering, but whatever. Parasyte would most likely be my second choice.

Also, it's funny that it's called Shingeki no Bahamut and the PVs show a lot of rooftop action. Alsoalso, the song that starts playing in the second PV is hilarious. Reminds me of the Psycho-Pass OPs.

Posted

Somehow my focus shifted away from being funnily-painted and I started trying to make it look somewhat good. And I think this is the best I'm going to get.

The faceplate made this too perfect for the Armored Titan.

BL81M3Q.jpg

KCVPf0Q.jpg

The figure actually feels less cheap to hold.