Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Congrats, New York.

70 posts in this topic

Posted

Okay, GMP let's just run through this together.

"I don't support gay marriage because I find homosexuality disgusting and I'm Christian and so on. Don't try to convince me to find it acceptable, because you are wasting your time. Don't try to break it down to simpler reasons, because that's it."

Okay, I can accept that you just dislike homosexuality. That's fine, it's what you think and I can't really scream at you saying you're hateful. But umm, I just want to ask, do you only dislike it because your religion says so? Because like, I'm kinda iffy if that was your only reason. It just feels like you can't form your own opinion or something, but correct me if I'm wrong.

"I support civil unions, but the apparent issue with those is:

1.)I don't have a clue why people hate these.

2.)Tax law and financial bullshit."

In response to 1), it's probably because people don't see the point of separating it. I mean, why give it a separate name for same-sex and non-religious unions? I can't think of any reason to separate it? Feel free to 'enlighten' me. There really is no point imo and I think it would be much better and fairer to just give it the same name. Marriage should be for /everyone/, it isn't an exclusive club for Christians. Point 2) is kinda moot since the obvious solution would be to just let marriage be for everyone, religious or not, heterosexual or not etc. Since there are even heterosexual couples who aren't religious as you pointed out lol. There is just no pointttttt to civil unions :C

"I don't support open gay military members, but since this is already a policy, create "Don't ask, don't tell" units for straight members that are uncomfortable serving with openly gay members."

I really don't understand DADT. For one it is a blatantly homophobic policy, but also... when would a soldier even care that maybe *GASP* his partner was gay? I mean, if you've been deployed to war or something, you're not really going to be thinking "Is he going to try to grope my ass oh god get the gays away from me have I mentioned I'm straight today" whilst you're in a battlezone are you? It just doesn't make any sense. I really can't think of a situation where the subject would even come up but meh, maybe the American military likes to chat about sexuality or something idk lol. It's just such an unnecessary policy really =S

Also Your Neighbour is Phanny? You should've just stayed with your old account lol. I don't really look at your old profile and think OH GOD WHAT A DRAMA QUEEN LOSER LOLOL I mean, yeah there were shaky times but I like to think everyone would move on and be a big happy internet family again but that's just me. :>

Posted

In addition to why DADT is stupid, most military's don't have it and their countries haven't been invaded.

Posted

I don't so much have a problem with gay marriage as I do marriage in general. Not saying it's a bad thing, but it sure does come with its own problems. Most man-woman marriages are suffering right now, so I don't see how making gay marriage legal helps anything. Sure, it'll help some gay men and women sleep better at night, but it doesn't do a thing to help the suffering state of our society's marriages as a whole. I think gay people will soon find out that marriage isn't any fun.

I'm indifferent when it comes to Don't Ask, Don't Tell. It really doesn't matter. Sexuality shouldn't even come up when you're fighting for your life.

Posted

And it really doesn't come up anywhere except America.

And yeah, I agree with you about the marriage. The thing is, it isn't really about the actual right of being able to marry. It's the idea of it. Like, it shows that gay people are equal. No one can justifiably say that gay people are equal in rights to everyone else if marriage is off limits to them. Especially if the basis is a religion they don't believe in.

Posted

What do you mean by 'suffering' exactly? Do you mean divorce? Because it is true that divorce rates are higher nowadays, but as sad as it that so many marriages fall apart, I kinda view it as a good thing? idk it sounds really horrible of me but I kinda see it as a sign that marriages are actually now created due to people's own free will rather than being forced into 'happy' stable marriages just to appease their family. :/ Like, so many people in the past were trapped in loveless marriages and I just... find the idea terrifying. Being beaten and ostracised for wanting to get divorced like in the past... it's kinda awful to think about. But it is a sign that people have greater freedom and choice in getting married today than in the past, which I find is a good thing. We like freedom ok.

Of course divorce is not pleasant, and yes it does seem that people just jump in and out of marriages for no reason, but I kinda view that as due to society kinda forcing the expectation to get married as soon as on people. So couples get married immediately and realize that oh no, they aren't ready for this and divorce occurs and wahh I make this sound extremely simple but you get the gist of what I'm saying right. Divorce is just a (unfortunate) symptom of a more lax society in my view. I think people should just deal with it and stop whining about it, divorce sometimes happens and you can't control what people feel... I hope that made sense.

But if you just meant that every marriage will reach a bumpy stage... tough luck nothing goes perfectly so we all just have to kinda, deal with it lol?

Also I agree with Ammonsa about how the fight for gay marriage is for equality mostly. I just don't understand being against groups having the same rights as the 'majority'. Sighhh this subject.

Posted

Man, I always come into serious discussion threads expecting them to last for two pages and then die, and yet these keep going.

Posted

Pheo, you beautiful bastard, you've destroyed the numbers. Hooray for you.

Posted

they last so long because they either get sidetracked or repeat the arguments. most of the serious discussion topics dont really have a discussion, because everyone kainda has their own opinion, and theyre not changing it.