Photo
- - - - -

Nintendo faces first annual loss in 30 years

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 Game Freak

New File

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:28 PM

In what Nintendo is declaring is due to decreased sales, price reductions and a "challenging currency exchange" between the yen and the dollar, they are seeing their first annual loss since the end of its transitionary period with the release of Donkey Kong in 1981. Do you think this is a kick in the pants for Nintendo to realize they need to set a new goal and reacquire their old audience? Or perhaps will they accept the loss (as they had predicted) and bank on the Wii U to hold them up?

Full article here : http://www.bloomberg...-3ds-price.html

#2 Cascade

you're a herbivore guy, so do you prefer a carnivore girl?

• @Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4067 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:41 PM

Moving to News and Reviews section, seems more appropriate there.

Poor Nintendo :x

#3 Chimetals

Well, /i/ thought it was a good idea.

• +Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3999 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:49 PM

i just hope they dont crash in a blaze of pain, somehow :P

personally, id love to see some better selection in games, ive played some japanese DS games that would /thrive/ in the US, or at least do/be better than all the cheap, dime-a-dozen movie games with the same bland levels and controls, ported to all systems :<

one of those "games i think would do well" is Zombie Daisuki (Zombie Love, basically) the key feature being that you control an army of zombies to attack the humans in a tiny-cute-figure-thing artstyle. i mean, seriously, this is a hoard of zombies swarming a human:
Posted Image
sure, idk if itd capture the attention of all those COD-types or w/e, but theyre playing xbox anyway.

#4 Arachne

Dinolfos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:22 AM

Yeah, this doesn't surprise me. The Wii's on its last legs without many notable upcoming games. Its weak hardware, while originally an asset for competitive prices, means most multi-platform games either don't come to Nintendo or else have crappy ports. The 3DS, on the other hand, is struggling to survive when most people have phones for their portable gaming, but so far there haven't been enough big titles exclusive to the 3DS.
I used to make excuses for Nintendo and think they'd get back on their feet, but after the hasty drop in price for the 3DS, I can't bring myself to do it. Honestly, if it doesn't do well the WiiU may just be Nintendo's last console, which makes me sad.

#5 Guest_darkLinkofHryule88_*

• Guests

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:07 AM

If they deserve to exist, then they'll find a way to exist. That's how it works. I was excited about the Wii U until I learned that only one of the cool controllers can be used at a time and there's not multi-touch capability. Knowing Nintendo, they'll probably have their controller use Double A batteries again.

#6 Chimetals

Well, /i/ thought it was a good idea.

• +Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3999 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:03 AM

you can only use one touch controller at a time? whaaaaaaaat the puppy.

now, if nintendo paired up with playstation, id be interested in the results--playstations shiny graphics and more potent hardware paired with nintendos knack for durability. nintendos ingenuity paired with playstations taste in games. something beautiful that overcomes playstation's systems fragility, and nintendos recent sense of bad taste.

but theyre both so big and prideful as companies, that the only way for that to happen is for one of them to drown and the other to semi-thrive and take over the first. and whoever thrives would basically decide what kind of systems were produced. namely, the worst case scenario would be something thats fragile like playstation, and with mediocre games executed half-heartedly on something that could have been revolutionary.

#7 Sahaqiel

• ~Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9689 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:50 AM

If you knew anything about Nintendo/Sony relations, Nintendo was actually slated to make a disc based system under a partnership with Sony. everything was set up to get running, but then Nintendo said lol nope and then made the Nintendo 64 behind Sony's backs. This is the only reason the Playstation under exclusive Sony make even exists. Not sure if they're still bitter about it.

Nintendo pretty much only gets by on their first party support in the US. It's kind of a shame.

As for the only one screen-controller at a time business, what the cocks. Link me your citations. That is just dumb, like, what. ):

#8 Game Freak

New File

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:18 PM

If you knew anything about Nintendo/Sony relations, Nintendo was actually slated to make a disc based system under a partnership with Sony. everything was set up to get running, but then Nintendo said lol nope and then made the Nintendo 64 behind Sony's backs. This is the only reason the Playstation under exclusive Sony make even exists. Not sure if they're still bitter about it.

Technically, it was a disc-based add-on for the SNES to compete with Sega's "Sega CD" addon for the Sega Genesis. Sony got insofar as to get the basic gist of making game consoles and games, when Nintendo stabbed Sony in the back and paired up with Philips. Due to the relative failure of the Sega CD and the incoming fifth generation, Nintendo scrapped the idea altogether, but not without first having given property usage licenses to Philips, leading to the development of the Zelda CDI games and Hotel Mario. Sony used their acquired IP to develop the PlayStation, whose superior disc technology made programming much easier and production costs cheaper as well, many developers moving to Sony, which is what has dragged down Nintendo so much since the N64 era. Most of their "best" games have still been first party ideas, but in recent times they have been cashing in on the casual market with their Wii X titles and Nintendogs.

#9 Guest_darkLinkofHryule88_*

• Guests

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:47 PM

Nintendo and Apple should squid each other and then make a product

#10 Dark_One

Octorok

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 12:23 AM

playstations taste in games

When did this become a thing