the mayans were talking about the end of the internet

23 posts in this topic

Posted

So megaupload has been taken down, conveniently after the internets protest of SOPA/PIPA. apparently megaupload had been under investigation for a few years, but imo, the timing couldnt have been unintentional. nintendo, sony, and some other groups arent openly backing SOPA, but with the ESA backing it, SOPA still has some videogame support, and the real stances of the major videogame companies is still kainda fuzzy, either way.

also, anonymous took down the justice department website, or so they claim. but inb4 youre impressed, taking down a website (and not the whole system) is equivalent to tearing down a poster.

opinions? where do you think this will go? is this the end of the internet/world?

Posted

Well, if you look at it in the sense that the mayan calendar ending as not a prediction of the end of the world, but as the end of an age, then it could be possible. While I wouldn't say that Mayans were sitting around making a calendar they said "Oh hey, on this date the internet will go down" without really knowing what they were talking about, they could have very well predicted that the end of an era would come.

If you look at the times the mayans were in the world, there was western expansion, technology was starting to grow at a much faster rate, the world was doing things they wouldn't have dreamed of a few generations before. The Mayans got to see some of this through the Spanish coming into their lands with the new technology they had.

Then look where we are, technology isn't growing at as fast of a rate as it did for a long time. There is little that we are seeing that is new, just improvements as time goes on. Innovation i slowing down and we are seeming to reach the edge of what the human mind is capable of producing, and the edge of what we are capable of experiencing. TV's have resolution that looks like real life, and can produce things the human eye can't see unassisted, computer speeds are getting to the point that any we will soon surpass the capacity to understand the speed of them.

Then look at things like SOPA and PIPA, could they be the first steps to a more totalitarian regime in the U.S.? The U.K. has already taken Orwell's 1984 as an instruction manual for surveillance. There is a third world war brewing in Iran. What happens if the government of the world community gets control over what is posted on the internet? What happens with another world war? A nuclear one?

Maybe the Mayans weren't predicting the end of the internet so much as it is a side effect of what they were?

Posted

I don't particularly like thinking about predictions. Any of them.

Weren't the Mayans gone before the Spaniards got there?

Mayans are aliens I'm pretty sure.

Okay, so, wiki says they didn't disappear but went through this mysterious decline.

I still think aliens were involved.

Posted

If they're taking down Megaupload on charges that it helps spread pirated content, then they might as well take down Youtube. At any rate, I think the DMCA will render any charges of copyright infringement moot. There are other charges, though, such as racketeering and money laundering, being pressed.

Posted

We rely on the Internet too much. Sopa won't happen. The only way it will happen is grumpy, stupid old men who don't know what this newfangled Internet is passing it through. But I have faith that they are the minority.

Posted

If they're taking down Megaupload on charges that it helps spread pirated content, then they might as well take down Youtube. At any rate, I think the DMCA will render any charges of copyright infringement moot. There are other charges, though, such as racketeering and money laundering, being pressed.

to be fair, youtube screens their videos. why they mute some of my AMVs while letting something ripped /straight/ from an anime remain, i dont know, but they do have some means of censoring going on there. and major companies have their own accounts where they can advertize, host episodes of their choice, etc, while other members have the same content removed. and youtube isnt built for downloading, although the quickest of google searches will yield several programs to alter that fact easily.

Posted

I read that all the predictions the Mayans supposedly made that prophesized all the advancements and demographics of the future cropped up in the later 00s. Like '06 or '07, around the time that the 2012 craze started to happen. In other words, it's probably made up. I can't be bothered hardcore researching this right now, but I'm fairly sure there aren't any official sources that said the Mayans predicted the internet, or as it was phrased, a giant spider web that spanned the whole world.

Also, lol, video game companies pulled their support. That's good. Most of the congressfolk are definitely not representative of the new generation, and probably don't know nearly as much of the internet as they should.

Posted

Mayans were talking about end of 3D movies obvs

I hope so

Unless the end of the 3D craze means the 3DS goes totally bust altogether and Nintendo just dies

Posted

I actually like 3D. At least, the 3DS's 3D. I own a 3D tv and it's...okay.

Posted

3D tech really has a little way to come before it's really ready for the big time. The need to find a way to do it that doesn't require expensive glasses, or cause headaches in a large portion of the population. When they figure that out, it'll be ready.

Posted

Have you used the 3DS, Skippy?

Posted

I personally don't like using the 3D effect on my 3DS, it really does giveme a terrible headache after like, 2 minutes of playing lol. A lot of people I know who have 3DSes, over here anyways, have the same problem. So yeah I'd argue that 3D effect... technology whatevers still has a ways to go in that regard. :x

Also:

The U.K. has already taken Orwell's 1984 as an instruction manual for surveillance

how did you know secretly we all have telescreens installed in our homes over here? /rolleyes

Posted

For me it depends on the game. I can play Super Mario 3D Land with the 3D at full blast for hours and not feel anything. But I can barely sit through 10 minutes of Ocarina of Time's 3D. And some games require you turn the 3D effect down a little. It takes adjusting, but very few games are completely unplayable in 3D. In fact, it really enhances both SM3DLand and Pushmo to the point where, without the 3D, they would be far worse games.

Posted

Mayans were talking about end of 3D movies obvs

I hope so

Unless the end of the 3D craze means the 3DS goes totally bust altogether and Nintendo just dies

PLEASE

PLEASE YES

PLEAAAASSSSEEE YEEEESSSS

Posted

Have you used the 3DS, Skippy?

I have, I have also used, and sell, bot the LG thrill and HTC EVO3D. The tech still causes headaches in a large number of the population and still requires you to view at a specific angle. Until you can sit down anywhere in your living room, in any position, and view it without glasses and without the headaches, it will need work in my book.