Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Programming?

60 posts in this topic

Posted

Take the kids out to the park one day and tell them about functional programming.

oh my god if i have kids i will totally do this

Posted

I want to learn Java, but how??

Posted

I would imagine The Java Tutorials, the official tutorials for how to do a Java

Posted

I would imagine The Java Tutorials, the official tutorials for how to do a Java

I would of thought so too, but I find them a bit complicated :S. I prefer videos :)

Posted

Who learns programming through videos?

Learn it through tutorials of any kind and your own personal experience.

Posted

learn it in a college who's strongest department is computer science

Posted

because that's free and conventional for a 14-year-old to do

At least there's always one of those nearby

But uh, if you do find it hard to learn the basics with Java, an excellent starting language I'd recommend is Python. It makes it really easy to catch on to basic programming constructs (has a pretty simple and consistent syntax) before moving on to the bigger-picture stuff (though Python's object-oriented, it doesn't force you to program in an OO-fashion, so you can learn about classes and such after ifs and loops and stuff), while still being a powerful language used for lots of things. I feel like before getting into the Javans it would be best to know what it means to be object-oriented, though the Java Tutorials seem to have a pretty good introduction description

my two cents: worth maybe one cent

Posted

Java is a bad idea to learn as a first language. It's conventions are rather different from a lot of other languages, and its overreliance on classes can make learning other languages after Java confusing.

Posted

aethix is right

to be honest, the first thing you need to do is learn basic programming

and by that i mean learn about if and else statements, loops, and variables

Posted

Java is for lame-o's anyway.

Posted

Well I already know some Python, but I want to move on now to Java. Maybe you guys are right about not using videos to learn to program, but I still find that the official Java tutorials are a bit complicated.

Posted

Do you know a little about Python's class system and how object-orientation works? It shouldn't be too hard to catch on, and Java kind of stresses the EVERYTHING HAS TO BE IN A CLASS thing

also if you're having trouble with anything specific, you can try asking us or a trusted adult

also also if you still want videos, you can try these Java video tutorials. I googled "Java video tutorials"

Posted

Going to start this thread back up again :) So I have decided to learn Java and I found a good guy on YouTube called mybringback who is so much better than thenewboston. When codecademy release it's Python tutorials I will start to follow them too. I want to be able to make a small game in Python then Java or vice-versa. After I achieve this, I want to learn Objective-C and start developing for iOS. I might even do the occasional bit of C# and Visual Basic just as an accompaniment, since C# and Java are very similar, and Visual Basic, as the name suggests, is very basic.

I know I probably should know this already, but what kind of things can Python do? I know it is more of a scripting language then a programming language, so what sort of scripts can it write? Also, I heard Lua is used a lot in some games (Valve) to make items? I'm not too sure about that though. Also, what sort of GUI-type programs can it write?

Posted

#include <pthread.h>

#include <unistd.h>

#include <stdio.h>

#include <stdlib.h>

#include <string.h>

#include "user.h"

void *worker(void *arg){

while(1){

if(((user_t*)arg)->sux){

printf("%ssux\n", ((user_t*)arg)->name);

break;