Sahaqiel's Miscellanies

104 posts in this topic

Posted

I couldn't find any good house remixes of it at all so I resolved to try and make my own. D;

SO I HOPE IT'S ENJOYABLE TO LISTEN TO

literally I have only been listening to this trying to improve it or make it sound cooler for the past two days

and my work still isn't over ;< Some problems I can only hear through a good set of speakers. Or when I'm less dead sleep deprived. The more lucid I get the more I uncover the things I could have fixed.

Posted

EDIT: I sent it to a friend and he told me that I should make some small tweaks, so I did so. Hopefully it makes the mashup slightly more enjoyable. This wasn't done in any editing software; I did this live with real time inputs. It was pretty fun.

Stop It/Ventura

Teto likes this

Posted

I quite like this tbh. Not terribly fond of the cymbal beat (if you get what I mean); the tinny quality of it is kind of offputting, but elsewise it's a good track. 

Oh wait, at 5:34 until the end, with the way you kind of stumbled the beat a bit, the sounds realign themselves in my head, and it stops sounding like a beat but more a broken record kind of sound all the way to the end of the track. That might just be me though; I can sometimes end up losing track of the beat in songs anyway. It just gets distracting and I lose it there. Then again it might be different for someone who's listening to it proper. I'm kind of just sitting here a bit tired-eyed listening to it right now.

Posted

The tinny sound might be that I accidentally uploaded it with 192kbps rather than 320kbps, or that I slightly EQ'd out the highs and lows on Ventura, because they were too loud otherwise. Or they might be the tracks themselves. I think they sound pretty good tho. ;o The cymbal sounds you're talking about is probably Ventura's hi-hats, which are a pretty distinct feature of the piece.

I just let the tracks play together after bringing the bass on Ventura back to full in at 4:24. Anything after that is just the actual music.

but ty; I like it too, but it's because I think the tracks go pretty well together. Which is why I made it and stuff, lol. `~`

Posted

So I'll actually post things in here again. I'm starting up my work on making models to duplicate via casting again, and I'm actually going through with it with much energy. I've got a respirator with chemical filter cartridges, various sandpapers, two cans of primer, polymer clays, wholesale blank lapel pins, silicone rubber, casting resin, and a whole host of miscellaneous objects for the making of sculpt models. Kaffles lent me two packages of Sculpey and her Sculpey tools. This is all for the purpose of gaining some income and making cool stuff with my free time, since due to a financial aid situation, I am only taking one class this semester.

Progress report on OPERATION: HEIMDALLR.

Kaffles helped me by making the star on the fossil, since I'm horrible at sculpting them freehand. I'm using Sculpey, a really easy to use polymer clay that doesn't dry out. It only requires a heat of 250 degrees for 15 minutes per centimeter. Here I have Rune Essence from Runescape, and a Furniture Leaf with a Fossil, from Animal Crossing. I decided not to start off with a stem, because it wouldn't be structurally sound, and I need it to be to grip these things hard enough to sand and move around a bunch. I decided to drill the distinctive hole into the leaf afterwards,

mW0KDc9.png

Later I decided that trying to carve the lines and shape for the fossil didn't work (broke the circle thing) so I put clay on top and then just sculpted it while it was pressed against the fossil body. This ensured that they would fit flush with each other, and there wouldn't be a gap underneath.

cGRNyla.jpg

Later, I sanded them into shape and primed them all up. Whenever I tell people what I'm doing they don't quite understand what's happening, which is kind of how I felt, so I'll elaborate. The coat of primer is to make everything one consistent color, so any flaws in the shape are much more apparent. You can also sand primer, so it's just generally useful.

fYWmoNn.png

Later, I thought I would try to do what I did with the fossil to the leaf and just stick on some clay and bake it again. So after using Kaffles' sculpting tools, I managed to get a pretty darn good looking stem that was accurate enough that I didn't even have to sand it too much. Then I drilled a hole through the side, and despite having some close calls (as in, almost completely wrecking it with the drill) it came out brilliantly. I also sanded the Rune Essence to look more irregularly shaped, because runes in Runescape aren't perfect circles.

sHt55n4.png

r9Hb8aP.png

Everything turned out really, really nice.

I am going to try to duplicate the Rune Essence so that I can make specialized models for specific runes. What I'm doing is pouring liquid silicone rubber into this circular thing where the Essence is lying flat. I put clay underneath it so that silicone getting underneath the edges would be minimized, as well as clay around the edges so that silicone rubber wouldn't escape the ring. Once I pour it in and it hardens, it'll give me a negative image of the thing I want to reproduce. I bought a nifty glass disk at Dollar Tree (they have a ton of useful stuff there) to put the mold on while it cures.

0KWzxsW.png

mxnOEqB.png

After I have the negative, I pour in casting resin; essentially, a liquid plastic that hardens to form whatever shape it's in at the moment. Mine is super viscous and is usable only 2.5 minutes after I mix it, so I'll have to work fast. Though the edges on the mold look rough, really I just have to pour until it reaches the appropriate height. I'm currently waiting on my Boulderbadge mold to cure.

ANncCen.png

You can't see how shiny it is really, due to the lighting. If it's any indication though, here are the other two badges I've pretty much finished. The polishy sheen really makes a difference.

XIKne4w.jpg

After I demold my Boulderbadge, and make molds of the other two badges, I'm going to pour in some casting resin and duplicate them, and while the resin cures I'll have blank circular lapel pins sunk into them. Lapel pins are those metal pins with designs on the front and a clasp on the back. It was hard to find blank ones in bulk. The resin turns white when it fully cures, so I have to buy black paint to make a base coat, then I'll paint on the accurate colors. They'll probably turn out really good, I think. (:

And again, I'm going to try and set up a deal where there's a discount if you can beat me in a Pokemon battle with me using the Pokemon of the corresponding gym leader, with certain level restrictions. If you try to buy more than 3 badges, you'll just face Lance's team. I think it's a neat idea.

Muffin also suggested a kickin' idea, which is to sell Runescape runes in sets corresponding to which spell they'd cast. For instance, the "Varrock Teleport Set" would have one Law rune, one Fire rune, and three Air runes.

The Animal Crossing merch will be sold as DS charms, having cell phone straps attached to them. So yeah, I hope everyone likes them, and I hope I can earn some moneys. (:

Gilded Grace and PrimaGaga like this

Posted

These are really, really cool, and it's obvious how much work you put into it all. Great job, man!

Sahaqiel likes this

Posted

I decided to do some test casting, and this is where everything started to go wrong. Some stuff went wrong with the first cast; I think I didn't mix everything properly enough, and I used way too much and ended up wasting resin. The second time around it was the opposite. I mixed it really well but didn't use enough of it. But the second time at least produced results, whereas the first one just sat in half liquid, half tendrily plastic form. However, since I didn't clean out the molds properly, the liquid residue from the first attempt also botched the faces of the castings.

TF85QEy.jpg

Pretty much, the Cascade Badge was the only one mostly unharmed, and the Boulderbadge was warped from being too thin and not having enough time to cure. Because of the last time, I didn't feel like trying to risk putting the lapel pins in again and just wanted to see what would happen. As a result, I didn't get the pins in the casts fast enough. I had an accident shortly afterwards. I thought I'd shake up the containers for each part of casting resin, because I'd heard some agents settle to the bottom and the containers require agitating.

I should have checked the bottle though, because I didn't screw it on right, and I ended up getting a bunch of Part A on my bench. It's really annoying to clean, worse than grease. And I wasted a bunch of it. But I'm learning. I know what not to do, for next time. I might have to remake a couple molds that don't have a level backing, and now that I have a little experience pouring everything, it should go smoother, though now I need to buy new vinyl gloves.

Good news is that it reproduces the detail very well, and they would look pretty professional if I didn't screw up so bad. The castings also require a really small amount, so much so that it surprised me; it takes about half an ounce of liquid for these four castings. I'm excited to see how they look finished and painted though. I ordered semi-gloss steel colored paint to color a Metal Upa, but I can use some on the Boulderbadge and see how it works out. I'm pretty hype. But it's bedtime, so now I sleep.

Gilded Grace likes this

Posted

You got a pretty good tutorial going here, Sahaqiel. I'm not terribly familiar with Animal Crossing or Runescape, but, being an arts (and not really crafts) guy myself, I still see how cool the process is. Even if they suck at the moment, the mistakes with these kinds of projects tend to end up being as valuable as the successes. I can't wait to see the final product 

Sahaqiel likes this

Posted

You can also battle me in a Pokemon battle for a discount on the final product. ;D

Posted

Can I buy a fossil charm? Do you have an etsy or something?

They're all awesome. The Soul Badge and Cascade Badge are beautiful, too. I almost mistakenly calle the Soul Badge the Marsh Badge. puppy

Sahaqiel likes this

Posted

I'm going to set one up once I actually have all the things needed to get to the end product and I start making things. (: So yeah, eventually. Sometime this week, maybe. Then if I get enough money, I'll try to get a table at a local convention.

I have enough things to make, mold, and cast the models, but that's like 3/5ths of it, because I also need the straps and the paint. So tomorrow when I can deposit money in my bank account, I'll order the cell phone straps and I'll go out and buy paint. Then I need to figure out whether or not I need to seal them (I probably need to seal them) in some kind of lacquer or clear coat.

I think what I want to do is slightly overprice the items (maybe 12 dollars for a charm?), but provide free shipping, or something, if I can do that. Then the pricing is less complicated and somewhat balances out.

also ty :> I put my heart and ... soul .. into them ;D

Posted

So first off I have better pictures incoming; these are from my phone, but I have better ones coming in that I took with kaffles that she's going to edit for me.

jEGnN4E.png

I painted the fossil much better than my other one; these are all acceptable for sale, too.

WfZo8ON.png

I had a better picture of this that shows off the subtle angles, but my phone isn't sending messages atm.

Something that reminded me to update this thread and others on my recent activity; I was practicing mixing [music] and I eventually threw on a dubstep track I have, just in case someone requests something like that, and for my amusement I tried to mash it up with Michael Jackson. I told one of my music-friends about how I practiced mixing for like six hours straight, and offhandedly told him that I did this, and he got really excited and wanted to hear what Michael Jackson set to dubstep sounds like. So I was like okay lol, I'll try and put something together, but don't expect anything super pro or anything.

So I formulated a little routine in like twenty minutes and then took like four takes. This is all with live inputs and mixing by sight and memory, because my equipment is ghetto, and when I sent it to him, I decided to just make it public because yolo.

so yeah, here you go. It's Don't Stop Til You Get Enough mashed up with Schoolboy's remix of Cassius' I Love You So. If it says not found the first time, just refresh.

https://soundcloud.com/silent-scuffle/why-the-force-wont-stop/

my friend really liked it, a lot

he sincerely wants me to get in touch with Schoolboy to get ahold of parts of his remix, and gave me the MJ song's acapella, because he wants me to put together this mashup in studio software

Agent Zako and Teto like this

Posted

Hows the egg coming?