Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

ConsciousCoward AMA

25 posts in this topic

Posted

Howdy, everybody. I know I've kind of fallen away from the forums over the past year and a half or so, but I haven't forgotten you all! Things have just gotten busy with college and preparing for the future and all that fun important stuff, so I haven't really had the time to come back here. I've been a member for a really long time, though I used to use the screen name shadowknight5070574 back in the day, and I still think very highly of this community.

Anyway, I'm a full-time student with an interest in theology, literature, music, coffee, and many other things, so feel free to ask me anything that comes to mind. I promise I'll answer to the best of my ability!

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

sup shadowknight

what was the last book you read, and album you heard?

Posted

Well, the last book I read was The Golden Apples by Eudora Welty, which I enjoyed even though I read it for my Southern Lit class. The last book I read for fun was The Sea Wolf by Jack London. The last album I listened to was Every Kingdom by Ben Howard. 

Posted

How often do you drink coffee? Any particular kinds you like?

Posted

What's your first name? (feel free to not answer)

Do you have skype?

Posted

Oh, coffee is one of my favorite things. I have a huge number of "Dining Dollars" left, which are what our campus has instead of traditional meal plans, so I use those to get a latte from the on-campus coffee shop pretty much daily. I also enjoy cappuccinos and an occasional americano, but I usually go for a latte if I'm out of the house. At home, French press is my brewing method of choice.

My first name is Zachary, and I'm afraid I don't use Skype.

Posted

Hey man whats studying theology like

Posted

Well, as of right now I'm still in undergrad, so I'm actually studying English. Seminary is a grad program, so I won't get to experience studying theology in a particularly academic setting until then. However, that is not to say I'm not doing any independent study, because I most certainly am. I tend to focus on a topic for an extended period of time, like a certain Christian denomination or historical heresy, but recently I've been branching out into researching more traditional philosophy, particularly Greek philosophy, though that's mainly because I'm seeing the influence it has on most literature. Theology is something I'm very passionate about (which is good, since I plan to go into it professionally), so reading great theologians is something that keeps me very happy and entertained; I frequently find that I lose track of time when I start reading.

I'm currently reading "The City of God" by St. Augustine, which is relevant. 

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

That's really interesting to know. That's the only way I can think to phrase that statement. Sorry if that looks weird. What do you mean by "Historical Heresy?"

Posted

Theology is something I'm very passionate about (which is good, since I plan to go into it professionally), so reading great theologians is something that keeps me very happy and entertained; I frequently find that I lose track of time when I start reading.

What sort of career path do you want to take?

Posted

"Historical Heresy" is the best phrase I could think of to refer to the particularly important sets of dissenting Christian views, such as Arianism or Gnosticism. Basically, the intentional rejection of either Orthodox Christian beliefs or traditions according to certain Christian groups. For example, as a Methodist, the Catholic Church would recognize me as a less-severe heretic, because we fall outside their definition of acceptable orthodoxy, but obviously I don't see us as heretics.

Ultimately, I want to go into ordained ministry, specifically as an Elder in the Methodist church. It will be several more years until I get there, though. Like, at least 6.

Posted

"Historical Heresy" is the best phrase I could think of to refer to the particularly important sets of dissenting Christian views, such as Arianism or Gnosticism. Basically, the intentional rejection of either Orthodox Christian beliefs or traditions according to certain Christian groups. For example, as a Methodist, the Catholic Church would recognize me as a less-severe heretic, because we fall outside their definition of acceptable orthodoxy, but obviously I don't see us as heretics.

Ultimately, I want to go into ordained ministry, specifically as an Elder in the Methodist church. It will be several more years until I get there, though. Like, at least 6.

woohoo Methodists! 

Posted

Does philosopy strengthen your belief in God? or is it unrelated?

Posted

As somebody who studies theology and other "heresies" with the intent to preach one, how do you personally view the other pieces of the church? I'm trying to phrase that in a way that doesn't sound confrontational.

Posted

smash the idols