Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Boston Marathon Bombing

78 posts in this topic

Posted

Widespread acts of violence are how I define terrorism, so.

But yeah the news outlets are really awful.

Posted

Not all terrorists are bad people though. Some of them are the characters of Final Fantasy 7.

Posted

Not all terrorists are bad people though. Some of them are the characters of Final Fantasy 7.

And what they did was wrong. :(

Posted

They saved us from Sephiroth, you ungrateful swine.

Posted

This is serious discussion.

>Phanta

Posted

Yes, I understood.

Posted

update, though i would think you guys would be following this anyway? that the bombing was done by (at least--i havent heard if there are more suspects or not) two brothers. one brother was killed in a gunfight with the police, the other is hospitalized from wounds probably picked up in the same gunfight. also, they skipped the miranda rights, a fact i find interesting.

Posted

also, they skipped the miranda rights, a fact i find interesting.

There was some law passed quite a while ago that says they dont have to read miranda rights immediately if there is still a danger to the public. I imagine they wanted to ask him if there was anyone else involved, other bombs that hadn't gone off yet, etc. You could definitely argue that its streching the law but in this case I'd say it was warranted.

Posted (edited)

Following the law when it's convenient isn't following the law. Pretty despicable, if you ask me. People who don't think rationally hot on the heels of a sensationalized "tragedy" are dumb. It's the reason why we have the Patriot Act.

America should not exist if it followed its own rules. They go back on their own policies to protect their policies. lol. And then after the trouble blows over, people aren't even like "wait a minute", they just go back to their lives.

It's just funny how people can claim that military guys "die for freedom/rights", but when it's convenient, we just straight up disregard laws and rights. It's just a big, blatant contradiction. Following the law and protecting rights is not always the easy thing to do. Our forefathers believed that rights were above human lives and that they were a thing to die for. The laws and policies and statutes are larger than our human lives. But now a single human life is apparently more valuable.

just a loosely-tied-together, general rant full of generalizations.

Edited by ∟ ∟ (see edit history)

Posted

There was some law passed quite a while ago that says they dont have to read miranda rights immediately if there is still a danger to the public. I imagine they wanted to ask him if there was anyone else involved, other bombs that hadn't gone off yet, etc. You could definitely argue that its streching the law but in this case I'd say it was warranted.

Contrary to popular belief, police don't have to read you your rights when arrested, They only have to read you your rights if they are directly questioning you about a crime. They haven't done that with the second brother yet, at least not officially. You would be surprised at how much you can be asked without Miranda rights being read.

Posted

they mentioned that, too.

if im understanding them right, the miranda rights boil down to "you can be quiet and you can have a lawyer", but its not like theyre turning to torture or anything. lengthy questioning, maybe. i dunno, it seems more of a court evidence thing, where "i didnt have the rights read, so its not evidence" wont be used now.

Posted

It's also to ensure security on behalf of the interrogee(?) in terms of making sure they aren't coerced to provide incriminating information or false testimony, etc.

Posted

well, i think were past the incriminating information and the false testimony stage. mostly just "tell me that was the last bomb :|" or "wheeeeeeeeeeere did you put the others :|" from my understanding.

Posted

updat: the court business is starting to move, charges filed, etc. im still waiting on a motive, but hell, im still waiting on a motive behind the elementary school shooting, so.