what kind of jokes :I

more like: What kind of jokes? :-D

amirite?

also, respect to EDA for being the only person on Google+

Posted

Respect to everyone else for him being the only one

Posted

Who even cares.

I mean, seriously, do you actually care about the bombings or are you sad because everyone else is "sad" and you don't want to look heartless or dispassionate?

I don't know these people. It really, really sucks that this happened to them. But life will go on. Eventually, this won't get talked about and some other tragedy will take place. So the world goes.

I don't think this is a terrorist attack. This looks like someone who's very angry. The bombs were made specifically to maim and destroy limbs, not necessarily to kill. This person wanted a lot of people to never run again.

Posted

Of course it's a terrorist attack. What else would you possibly define this as? Terrorism isn't intended to kill. Look at the word. Terrorism is intended to cause terror.

Let's look at the UN definition;

"Criminal acts intended or calculated to provoke a state of terror in the general public, a group of persons or particular persons for political purposes are in any circumstance unjustifiable, whatever the considerations of a political, philosophical, ideological, racial, ethnic, religious or any other nature that may be invoked to justify them."

Now, if you meant terrorist as in some sort of organisation devoted to taking down America or something, no, they probably aren't that. It could just be one person, but it's still a terrorist attack, and a rather horrible one.

As to who cares, well. I care? You don't have to start bawling and break down when you hear the news, but I have compassion and it makes me genuinely sad that this has happened. And I'll get over it and not think about it most of the time because I'm not close to the events that occurred, but that doesn't mean I don't care.

Oh, and also, Brodongo was actually at the marathon, you know, a member here, that seems like incentive enough on its own to care. 

Posted

Whatever, word nazi. I'm saying this isn't Al-Qaeda. I know being from Australia you probably don't know this, but that's all anyone means when someone says "terrorist" in America. They're talking about Muslims. 

Posted

They're talking about Muslims. 

And that is an incredibly terrible thing, I hope you know.

I mean, a lot of people care since a lot people were there. Relative to the world it may not be that many at all but that's okay. Because who even cares whether you'll feel or not feel. That's up to a person. Have your freedom, I shall have mine.

I'd also rather you not talk for anyone other than yourself but that's just an opinion, isn't it. 

Cascade, Ammonsa and Chimetals like this

Posted

Hah, okay. Whatever.

Posted

When I say "terrorism" I think of everything from bombings to school shootings. I don't necessarily think Islamic people, just things that are generally meant to cause harm and destruction and terror amongst large groups of people.

I know it's not the same for the general US public, but yeah, I think this was terrorism; just not necessarily by Al-Qaeda or whatever other extremist group tied to religion there is. And it pisses me off and makes me sad. I care because human lives were disrupted or destroyed. Even the people who survived were left with injuries that don't heal, like missing limbs, or psychological trauma. And it's horrible. And it's horrible that someone who is angry enough would think it justified to blow up a bunch of people he or she doesn't know. And attitudes like "so the world goes" is what we've come to.

Posted (edited)

The news coverage is more terrorism than the actual bomb.

I don't meant this in a jaded or desensitized way, but I could not help but laugh at TV news coverage of this. There was somber music playing. I couldn't help but imagine that song file sitting in a folder marked "tragedy songs" at the news building.

It's just sad to me that when three people die because of a planned thing it's a tragedy. But I haven't seen a thread or anyone talking about a massive chemical plant explosion in Texas that killed 15 people. There's nothing to be gained from the last one, though.

News companies pick and choose which things are tragedies and which are just everyday things. Like guns violence for example. It's actually at an all time national low. But there is more coverage for gun violence than ever.

I'm not desensitized to violence. But I don't empathize with people who aren't me or who I don't see myself in. It is just so silly when you step back and realize that news companies aren't trying to report, they're trying to make me feel mad

Edited by ∟ ∟ (see edit history)
Padraig! likes this

Posted

And attitudes like "so the world goes" is what we've come to.

...but the world will continue to go on. It's just keeping things in perspective. It doesn't mean that anyone cares less.

Posted

I mean it's sad that senseless, random acts of mass violence towards no one in particular are "how the world goes". Like, even Al-Qaeda are blowing people up based on some kind of disagreement and are sending a message about it, but this was an explosion at a marathon that was pretty much completely senseless. School shootings, too, carried out on people just because they're smaller and weaker and in a condensed area, not because they did anything to wrong the shooter.

And yeah, the explosion in Texas is really regrettable. It is a tragedy, and it's just horrible that these things happen to people. I don't know much about the explosion in Texas, but as far as I know it was a freak accident. Whether or not it was, I'm just tired of all these horrible events.

Posted

IMO "terror" in terms of "terrorism" implies a goal

it could just be an act of violence

PrimaGaga likes this

Posted

The news coverage is more terrorism than the actual bomb.

I don't meant this in a jaded or desensitized way, but I could not help but laugh at TV news coverage of this. There was somber music playing. I couldn't help but imagine that song file sitting in a folder marked "tragedy songs" at the news building.

It's just sad to me that when three people die because of a planned thing it's a tragedy. But I haven't seen a thread or anyone talking about a massive chemical plant explosion in Texas that killed 15 people. There's nothing to be gained from the last one, though.

News companies pick and choose which things are tragedies and which are just everyday things. Like guns violence for example. It's actually at an all time national low. But there is more coverage for gun violence than ever.

I'm not desensitized to violence. But I don't empathize with people who aren't me or who I don't see myself in. It is just so silly when you step back and realize that news companies aren't trying to report, they're trying to make me feel mad

This is so true.

This isn't entirely about terrorism, but more about gun violence. Still very very topical.

Posted

IMO "terror" in terms of "terrorism" implies a goal

it could just be an act of violence

yeah thats exactly wut i was thinking as I read the previous comments.