Establishing Hyrule

566 posts in this topic

Posted

The sun begins to set on the torn up battlefield as Sault looks around for more survivors. It's the first time during his secret relationship with Caoilainn that he doesn't feel like talking to her, mostly because of his awful treatment of his friend Leo. When the truth about his parents had been revealed, it was Leo that comforted him, made him feel like he had a friend... and this was how he repaid him. The more he thought about it, the more disgusted he was with himself. After making one more search through the nearby forest, he'd have to go and apologize to Leo.

The trees along the edge of the field were only just standing; a few were scorched by lightning as Avani's storm had passed in this direction. Just as Sault expected, there were a few bodies here of knights that had been struck out of the sky. Identification would have to be left to one of the Skyloft citizens, but Sault's scouting paid off when one of the bodies twitched. Trapped under a dead Loftwing was a rather burly man with a ruined head of red hair, seemingly alive. "Hey, are you badly hurt? What's your name?" Sault asked, but he only got a few groans in reply. He shoved away the dead bird to the best of his abilities, but the semi-conscious man was too heavy. "Hey, I need some help with this man here! Anyone around!?" he shouted into the forest. A few minutes later there was a sound of footsteps, and out of the distance came Leo.

This was going to be interesting.

Posted

I sigh. "I know I shouldn't... But it's just, I mean, it's the truth! I was the one that told Zelda to do it so-"

"No," Fintan interrupts me. "Zelda and Link would have brought down the other Hylians anyway. And almost every Hylian that died in battle, was a knight. It wouldn't have changed much if you hadn't told Zelda that they should come here." He gives me a smile. "It's not your fault."

"I guess you're right," I reply, feeling relieved. "Thank you, Fintan."

"Hey, I will always be there for you," he smiles and hugs me. "Always," he repeats softly.

I smile and give him a kiss. "I will too."

"I know," he smiles. 

Someone pokes me on my shoulder. "I'm sorry to interrupt, but have you two seen Bryarly?" Callia asks me softly.

"I think she's with Karane and Pipit," I reply. "I've seen her there a while ago."

"Okay, thanks," she smiles and she wants to leave. 

"Wait, why?" I ask quickly. 

"Sault and Leoni have found Groose," she smiles. 

I smile too. "Really? That's great! I'll come look for her too." 

I stand up and Fintan follows. We follow Callia, but Fintan suddenly pulls me back a little. 

"Something wrong?" I ask confused. 

"It's great that they have found Groose, but Sault and Leoni?" he asks. 

"Oh," I reply when I realise. "Oh that's not good." 

"No it isn't," Fintan sighs. 

Posted

I steel myself before leaving my tent, counting the steps to the communal tent and poking my head in.

"Leoni?" I call. "Leoni, are you here?"

One of the other Sheikah speaks up. "I think he went to the medical tent, Caoilainn."

I thank her and turn around, counting the steps again until I bump into a Sheikah standing outside of the tent. Blushing a little, I venture in a little and hear familiar voices.

"He should be alright," I hear Leoni say. "And Bryarly is- ah."

From the sudden shift in tone, I can safely assume he's spotted me at the entrance. I take a breath in, scuffing my feet against the ground.

"Caoilainn," Sault says softly. I can hear the concern in his voice but don't address it right away.

"Leoni, could I talk to you, please?" I ask him. "Whenever you're ready, that is."

"Er, sure," he says, and I hear him approach. I duck out of the tent and walk a little ways away, toward the outskirts of the forest.

"I... I have a thing or two to explain to you, Leoni."

Posted (edited)

"Yeah... I kinda figured it out after the battle..." I trail off. "You and Sault... love each other..."

"Yes..." she replies, shakily. "But..." she stops abruptly, and I can see that this is causing her great anguish. I speak up again.

"Look," I say, "Just tell me what you have to tell me. I've already prepared myself for whatever way you possibly decide. I'm happy for the both of you for discovering true love together, and I'll support you in it. I don't care which way you decide, I just need to know." I can tell that she is still very nervous, so I take a deep breath, and put my arms around her in a hug. 

"And no matter which way you decide," I say, my voice starting to quiver a little. "Know that I will always love you, no matter what."

Edited by ElwayGuy7 (see edit history)

Posted

((Heads up guys, I'm on vacation to Florida until the 28th, but I may have Internet at the hotels, so I may be able to post. It won't be every day, though, so don't freak if I don't post! ))

Posted

((Good luck on your trip! Busy nursing a toothache yesterday so I couldn't really get into writing, I'll make up for it with a bit of a longer post though.))

After he'd just found Groose trapped under his loftwing, Sault was feeling more than a little anxious when the only help around turned out to be Leoni. At first he expected to get his nose broken, but then his friend just meekly offered to help take the downed Hylian back to camp. They didn't talk much on the way back, just some casual, but strained, conversations about the battle and their relief that everyone was alright. Neither of them mentioned Caoilainn.

---

Back at the camp now, the sun was setting and the survivors needed to be accommodated, requiring more work on the part of the Sheikah. Sault and his friends had been given the afternoon to rest because of their heavy involvement in the day's battle, so he made his way to Leoni's tent to find him reading a book. "Hey... reading something interesting?" He asked, and his friend looked up. "Just something relaxing to take my mind off things." He replied before setting the book down. "What's up?" Sault was amazed at how relaxed Leoni seemed, and he started rubbing his neck anxiously. "I uh... just wanted to say... I'm sorry about all this. I've been a really, really bad friend, and if you never want to speak to me again that's fine." He averted his eyes in embarrassment. "Heck, if you want to just take out your anger on me I wouldn't blame you."

Leoni calmly acknowledged the apology, and slowly got up. Sault braced himself but his friend only laid a hand on his shoulder gently. "You only did what your heart told you to," He replied with gentle assurance. "I don't think you meant to hurt me." It was such a mild response, but Sault felt all the guiltier for it. Assurance or not, he was going to have to think up some way to make up for his wrongs.

Posted

I couldn't tell for sure whether Leoni had taken the news of Sault and I in his stride, or whether he was feeling dismal.

I'd apologised and explained to him how I'd found something new and different with Sault; Leoni simply acknowledged it with a somewhat resigned sigh, before taking off, presumably to go and read or help out some more.

"Caoilainn, what if my eye doesn't get better?" Thadea asks. I return my attention to her, placing a hand on the sheets she lies on.

"Don't worry," I tell her with a small smile. "Zelda will be here soon, and she'll make you better."

"How come she didn't make your eyes better?"

"Ah..." I trail off. "Well, don't you worry about that, Thadea. Just try to get some sleep for now."

I look up when I hear someone enter the tent.

"Caoilainn?" Sault asks. "I was talking to Leoni there..."

"How is he holding up?" I ask.

"I'm not really sure, to be honest," he replies.

I shake my head. "I couldn't really tell either. He seems very calm about this."

He sits down next to me, taking one of my hands in his. "Hopefully, he'll be okay with this."

I nod my agreement, holding his hand tightly.

Posted

"Bryarly! How's Groose?" I ask when I see her eating at a table with her friends. 

She smiles. "He's doing good, he's got a concussion and a broken leg, but he'll be fine, thanks for asking. If Sault and Leoni hadn't found him in time..." 

"But they did," I smile. 

"Yes they did," she repeats.

I see Fintan waiting for me at the entrance of the tent. "Listen, I got to go, I'll see you later!" I say. I grab an apple and wave goodbye at the group of Hylians.

"I've been wanting to ask you this for a long time, when did you become so kind to other people?" Fintan asks while we run away. 

"Hey!" I say, and I punch his arm, a little bit insulted.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that but come on, you were never the person to be so concerned about other people's well being. And you weren't exactly the most serious person that cared for her Sheikah duties, but now, you've been acting like a leader almost." 

"I guess you're right... I think that's your fault you know," I say.

"What did I do then?" he asks confused.

"Well, at first I didn't care if I was a good Sheikah or not, but then I guess I wanted to impress you when I developed a crush on you..." I admit.

He stops walking. "Really?"

"Yes, of course," I say, and we start walking again. "I wanted to show you that I wasn't as bad as I looked." 

Posted

I try my best to fight the childish smile that's forcing it's way across my face, but I know that it's a fruitless endeavour.

"You really did all that to impress me?" I ask.

She nods, looking a little bashful.

I give up on fighting my grin as I take her by the hand. "You should know you never had to do any of that," I say. "I thought the world of you, still do, actually."

It's her turn to smile now. "Surely not..."

I nod. "You were the one who taught me that there's more to life than a mission, than duty. I still want to be a good Sheikah, maybe even cheif some day... But it's not all I want."

She reaches up then, leaning in for a kiss. I oblidge without a seconds thought. Her lips taste like apple and give me a swell of happiness in my stomach.

I break away after a few moments, one hand still resting on the back of her neck.

"I should probably go and see Leoni. It's all very well for Sault and Caoilainn to talk to him... But I think ge needs someone else right now."

Posted

After making sure Thadea was sleeping soundly, Sault and I went to grab some food from the communal tent before heading out to train a little more at my insistence.

"We could be relaxing, you know," Sault points out as we walk.

"No one said you had to come with me," I tell him as we come to a clearing. "Here, there's your... buckler, is that what you called them?"

"Yep," Sault replies, taking it from me. "Ready?"

"I'm always ready," I say smugly. "Lets go."

He comes at me with his sword, and I raise the buckler. To my annoyance, I'm a little late in countering, and Sault just manages to stop himself from slicing me in two. However, the situation turns out worse than even that.

I stand, paralyzed, Sault's lips on mine.

Jumping back, I lose my footing on a tree root and fall back, dropping my things. I scramble up, blushing red as a tomato, and glare in Sault's direction.

"Well," he says. "That was... something."

Posted

Sault couldn't hold it in anymore; he burst out laughing as Caoilainn scrambled to her feet. "You idiot, I should knock your head off for that one!" she said, all flustered and red-faced. "Sorry! You can't deny that's one of the more interesting kisses you've ever had though." he teased back, at which point she jumped forward and grabbed him by the shoulders. "Might as well pay you back." She said, her expression softening and a sly smile growing on her face before she leaned in and gave him a big surprise kiss of her own. Her hands were still holding him in place but he wasn't about to go anywhere; it was only the arrival of an unwanted visitor that made them jump back from each other.

Apparently Melania had wandered into the area, making her presence known shortly after with an audible cough. "I don't think this is the place for training how to make out!" She teased as she giggled. "You should know where to practice that." Caoilainn ran after Melania , who bolted off after teasing them, but Sault just stood there dumbstruck. That was the best training session he'd ever had.

Posted (edited)

I tried to talk with Leoni. I comforted him plenty, said he could be honest with me, offered him guidance. But he didn't want any if it. He just sat there watching me witha perfectly neutral expression.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a tad concerned about him. I've bottled up emotions enough times to see that it's what he's doing. It's just going to end up hurting him.

As I make my eay out of Leoni's tent, Melaina rushes past me, a blur of laughter and blonde hair. I turn back just in time to see Caoilainn before she crashes into me and we both hit the ground.

The air is knocked out of me and I can hear the sound of Melaina laughing from just up ahead.

"Sorry!" Caoilainn gushes.

Edited by NayruGoddessOfWisdom (see edit history)

Posted

"Caoilainn?" Fintan asks, baffled. I push myself off of him, grinning.

"Sorry, Fintan," I apologize, catching my breath. "Running around blind doesn't help me avoid bumping into people."

"What's happening, anyway?" he asks. "You're all racing about like madmen!"

"Melaina," I say, half to myself. "She's a little... Gah! I'll sneak up on her later, when she won't expect me. Then we'll see how she likes it..."

"I don't mean to interrupt your monologue," Fintan says, "but you're starting to sound a little more evil than usual."

I shake my head at him, or in his general direction, and dust off my clothes.

"On that topic," I say, "what do you think about that last demon, at the end of the battle? The one possessed by Majora?"

Posted

"Hey," Zelda says quietly when she sits next to me. 

"Hi!" I say, kind of surprised she's back. "So... How are you doing?"

She sighs. "Fine, thank you. It's just... Dad is so sad... His knights died, I mean, he trained them..." 

I put an arm around her. "I know... I'm sorry."

"We can't do anything about it anymore now," she concludes. Looks like she doesn't feel like talking about it. 

"So, what now?" I ask. "Will the Hylians stay here?" 

"I think they will, they have already begun to expand the small town we built," she says. 

"Oh, okay... Hey if they need any help, we're here for them. They helped us a lot you know," I say, trying to make her smile.

"I know that," she says. "Thank you, Melaina," she gives me a small smile, but then she excuses herself and leaves to find Link. 

I sigh, and relax a bit more on the bench. Suddenly cold water is poured all over me. 

"What in the?!" I yell, jumping up. Behind me stand Caoilainn and Sault. "Was that really necessary?!" I yell what only makes them laugh more. "Goddess! Argh! Caoilainn!"

Posted

As I make my way out from my evening class, I'm greeted by the sound of loud laughter. I frown, glancing around the camp, trying to find the source. I follow the sound, working my way around the communal tent. Eventually, I stumble upon an unusual sight. Melaina sits, shivering, in a puddle of water. Sault and Caoilainn are stood just behind her, bucket in hand, cackling with laughter. Another bucket sits, empty, at their feet

"What is going on here?" I ask, walking cautiously over.

"I swear I am going to kill you!" Melaina yelps, jumping to her feet and running around the bench towards Sault and Caoilainn. She grabs at them, but they duck out of the way with ease, though Sault is careful to watch the bucket he holds, which is still full.

"Can we just-" I duck out of the way. "Can't we focus on - can we... won't you take anything seriously!"

They come to a halt then, Caoilainn and Sault exchanging mischievous looks. Suddenly they turn, advancing on me, Sault still holding the other bucket.

"Don't you - gah!" I take off into a run, sprinting for the woods.