Christianity: Saving the world, or bringing pain and suffering to the world?

71 posts in this topic

Posted

Is Christianity saving our world and making it more peaceful and full of joy? Or does it breed self-hate, impress unobtainable standards on humans, and ultimately harm us?

Christianity is often portrayed as bringing peace and joy into lives. It's said it brings hope and love. Or does it bring divisiveness? Hate? Superiority? Closed-mindedness? Discuss the aspects of Christianity and how they relate to either side. Are you a Christian? Are you happier for it? Are you an ex-Christian? Why? Did Christianity ever make you feel much much worse? Were you ever persecuted for being a Christian? For NOT being a Christian? For being bi/gay while being a Christian?

Is it natural for us to try and follow the 'rules' of christianity? Do the seemingly arbitrary 'rules' need to be following even if they don't make sense? Would our culture be better without it? Would we be better off without the negative historical events and repression that Christianity caused, or did it ultimately make things better, and our world a better place? What are your views on Christians?

Posted (edited)

I am Christian...

First off:

I just play shoot games :P

Well I just be like each other people...

Only I believe God made the world and that God give his son to save us...

And... sometime things happen that only God can do :) I saw by my self much... (to hard to exlpain in English xD) but there really is a God who gives his son named Jesus

Later in the "End-Time" much people wouldn't be anymore on this world some people will say it are alien's and stuff but...

They are now by God...

In the "End-Time" there will be rule a guy who want to kill all Christian's If they not believe in god who gives his son than they can get a chip where they can get food with and have easier life... but... they will burn in hell over 6 years than... forever...

For people who not believe now... will see soon if there are people just disappear and stuff...

If you do believe in God in the "End time" cause they see now hey... what that Christian told me about the End-Time seems true

Will have a hard live there BUT not forget God will be special be there with them... and Jozef and Mozes will be come back on this world by the Wall in Israel and people will shoot on them but they not get hurt...

Angels will come on the world and MANY things will happen here.... Good and Bad...

If you not believe I not care or stuff :P

And I NOT hate people who not believe in God...

But if you see that "End-Time" thing happening you will think of me :P and other's who told ya xD

Adr990

Edited by Adr990 (see edit history)

Posted

No disrespect to any christains but eventhough I am confermed in the catholic faith Both christianity and chatholisim are the deadliest faith in history. I changed to spiritulism, it is the oldest and truest religion! And there was never any bloody crusade to make the world switch. The bible has so many differant times that it is inconsistant! So much of Jesus' life is left out because the christians don't want you to know about it cuz it would have people belive in the true religion, Spiritualism!

Posted

:/ I tried being Christian once; it felt too much like 'feeding the beast not to get eaten' sort of thing... then I went lesbian, just because I thought... well... girls are beautiful to me. <3 Iunno, I can't get into guys.

How is that a sin? I mean, that's when I saw Christianity as hypocritical. Can't we LOVE who we wanna love? After all, it's better than just hating everyone. ^^; Isn't God supposed to be about love? Then what's wrong with this love? If it's just because of the sex... uhm... why? Don't we have enough people in the world...? Give those kids in orphanages a home, first. D<

Plus, Christianity's Bible has been changed SO much. We've turned it into a human's religion...

I don't hate Christians.

I disapprove of the ones that try to change me.

Posted

All that is why I follow spiritualism. We dont look down on anyone!

Posted

I'm a Christian,and I don't really follow any "rules".I believe that in good faith,you'll be fine.I just follow morality and try to help others,which I guess would be the "rules" because I hear that it is expected out Christians,because it feels good to help.It also feels better to respect others and stuff,and it appears that Christian families actually do introduce those values to their children,which is good.There are some beliefs that I develop myself about God,and some of those "rules" that I hear are opposed by "rules" I have developed my own.I try to follow the Commandments,but it's those little rules that people came up with.I don't really try to get others to follow my beliefs unless they really piss me off when they do something that's extremely immoral.I also don't look down on others for being gay or lesbian,or for their religion.In fact,I have a Hindu friend named Sagar and I don't look down on him for his belief.I've also got a friend who is bisexual and I don't look down on her.I would say that the way that it affects humanity varies from individual people.However,where I live,I don't really think that most people are as acceptant as I am :unsure:.

Good question,Dustin.

Posted

:/ I tried being Christian once; it felt too much like 'feeding the beast not to get eaten' sort of thing... then I went lesbian, just because I thought... well... girls are beautiful to me. <3 Iunno, I can't get into guys.

How is that a sin? I mean, that's when I saw Christianity as hypocritical. Can't we LOVE who we wanna love? After all, it's better than just hating everyone. ^^; Isn't God supposed to be about love? Then what's wrong with this love? If it's just because of the sex... uhm... why?

Amen for that! I agree with that.

I prefer thinking this way, live and let live.

There are people who believes and follows the Bible and aeverything, but as far as they don't try to make people believe in the same, they're fine to me.

I don't believe in God, I really don't, but I like to be in churches, does that make sense? The christianity has their good points and bad points. I love the peace that you can feel inside a church. But I can't be there when there's a father speaking :P

So, I don't bother people who believe, and if they don't bother me, I'm fine with that.

Posted

I just hate how openly Christianity tends to bash other religions.

Posted

I just hate how openly Christianity tends to bash other religions.

That's what I mean

Posted

Amongst all religions across the world, Christianity has the most violent history

I don't blame Christianity directly, but I feel that too many people of this religion have a superiority complex. I have no problem with any religion as long as it does not:

hurt people

force people to believe things

Prevent free-thinking - particularly in science & art

I think some people simply need that hope / strength to fall back on (even if others believe it is a 'false hope'). Religion has had massive impacts on our society, so I think it is necessary, basically all of the laws we have today have spawned from the commandments. Although I am curious to see how this world would have turned out if it had never existed. Sadly though, looking back at history, just about every war in history has involved religion in one way or another.

now to Free Thinking - it sickens me that evolution is no longer being taught in some schools - I believe people should be taught about everything and be able to decide for themselves what they want to believe in.

I cant speak for the world, but I know that in Australia, Christianity is the fastest decaying religion, with the fastest growing being Athiesm, followed by Muslim.

Fanatics of any religion (including Athiesm) are always the worst people.

Posted

It's the churches of religions that screw things over. All religion is good. It's the radical believers in any religion that makes things wrong.

I don't really fit into any set religion. I say I'm catholic, but I don't really follow any of the rules.

I mostly just believe in God.

It's the radicals of the church that make bad things happen. Not the religion itself.

Posted

If god exists he is going the wrong way about this.

I personally worship the ancient greek gods.

Posted

How is that a sin? I mean, that's when I saw Christianity as hypocritical. Can't we LOVE who we wanna love? After all, it's better than just hating everyone. ^^; Isn't God supposed to be about love? Then what's wrong with this love? If it's just because of the sex... uhm... why? Don't we have enough people in the world...? Give those kids in orphanages a home, first. D<

Plus, Christianity's Bible has been changed SO much. We've turned it into a human's religion...

I don't hate Christians.

I disapprove of the ones that try to change me.

God created man and woman to be with each other, so it's only natural he doesn't like you for using his gift in an unintended way. Of couse, he doesn't hate you as a person for being lesbian, he just doesn't like you committing a sin. Furthermore, I will admit that some cristians are very mean and act improperly, but when christianity is practiced as it was intended, it's a great thing.

Posted

WOAH. WOAH. WOAH.

Let's not go "I HATE CHRISTIANITY!!! BURN IN HELL CHRISTIANS!! YAAARGH!"

1. Christianity believes that there is one god that forgives us for every sin, and homosexuality is not a sin.

2. Christianity does NOT bash other religions IF practiced properly. It's just the extremists that bash religions.

3. Christianity may have the most violent history, but if you read the ten commandments then it openly says that you shouldn't kill or hurt anyone, it's the peoples problem, NOT the religions'.

4. Being a practicing Catholic, I believe that it doesn't hide or smother science or art.

5. If you have any questions on christianity just ask me or a local priest/vicar/christian.

Please don't hate us!

Posted

Just a quick note: the Bible is not allowed to be changed in any way, according to an agreement long ago that I forgot the name of. :embarrassed: What's in there now has been in there for hundreds and hundreds of years (heck, maybe over a thousand or something) without change. .-.

Also, see Paddymac's point #3.