Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Timeline Dead End... Need Clarification :(

26 posts in this topic

Posted

Personally, I feel that the sea-to-land change in Octoroks is a matter of physical location. The Octoroks of Old Hyrule are water-based, and the Octoroks in New Hyrule are land-based, both having adapted to the demands of their respective locations. The setting of PH, being between New Hyrule and the Great Sea of WW, contains both land-based and water-based Octoroks. After PH, I would postulate that Link and Tetra founded New Hyrule, which contained the aforementioned land-based Octoroks. All the games containing land-based Octoroks, therefore, would follow PH, and those games are (in no real order) LoZ, AoL, LttP, LA, OoX, TMC, and FSA.

Timeline-wise, I personally feel it would lie something like OoT-WW-PH-LttP-OoX-LA-LoZ-AoL.

TMC and FSA are somewhat harder to place. I would take a somewhat controvertial standpoint by saying that the existance of TMC and FSA necessitate the existance of more than two timelines, with the extra(s) created via the events of OoA. This method would also make my above timeline less messy. Alternatively, and probably more favourably to the majority of you, we should place TMC-FS-FSA in between PH and LttP, due to changes in the royal crest from game to game. Either way, it's moot. Those games pretty much have to take place in the Adult Timeline, while the Child Timeline would, in that view, consist of only OoT-MM-TP.

Posted

It seems I've got a lot to learn about Zelda games... 2-3 playthroughs for each game in the series doesn't seem like enough anymore :(

Posted

I'm not sure if I'm following the main point of the Octorok water-as-apposed-to-land-base argument (?), but WW has water-based Octos, and you see lots of land-based Octoroks in PH... they look awfully similar to the ones you see in TMC... I suppose you could say they even look like the ones you see in LttP...

I'm just pointing that out in case it has any merit in what's been said thus far...

two seperate lands? Remember, they've travelled a fair distance from the region WW was set. Actually, it could even be debated whether it was a sort of dreamworld, which just makes the octorok's irrelevant. Or both octorok's can exist simulataneously.

Also, I've always thought of WW as the end of one timeline (or at least anything that is TRIFORCE based). Even including any possibly of ganondorf finding a way out, the triforce's one wish that can be granted has already been used and it returns to the heavens where it came from. Therefore, the triforce is irrelevant after this point in time, so all the triforce stuff needs to be on either the other timeline, or before Wind Waker.

Posted

Darn you, Gingerlink, stop being so awesome.

Also, if this can be assumed to be correct, then ALTTP would be the end of the other timeline, since Link uses his wish to make the Dark World go bye-bye.

Hold on. If Ganon used his wish to create the Dark World and the Triforce is still there for Link to find, then it must not go to the heavens once used.

Or something.

Posted

The Oracles, despite their incredibly low grounds for theory making, contradict this, Gingerlink.

In the opening sequence, Link is atop a cliff on a horse looking down at a castle in the midst of a huge forest. The forest implies that the castle has been down there so long, it's uninhabited and probably has been for a long long time. It's at a pretty low elevation, too. (Perhaps even below sea level.)

Inside the castle is the Triforce, and nothing else.

Apparently, this castle is so uninhabited, that even the Goddesses wouldn't mind placing the Triforce in it for safekeeping, because it's so isolated from everything else.

There is also the possibility that New Hyrule is really far from Old Hyrule. The opening sequence also shows Link riding his horse quite a great distance.

asdguh0.png

Hyrule Castle in Ocarina of time/Wind Waker.

wertuh6.png

Discovered castle in Oracle of Ages/Seasons.

Notice the similarities between the two Castles.

Wind Waker's Hyrule Castle boasted a more circular design, but for the sake of argument, they're the same castle.

Here, at the end of Oracle of Ages/.Seasons, you can see Zelda overlooking her balcony to view a shooting star. There is no forest, therefore the discovered castle and the castle inhabited by the new Hyrule Royal Family are two different castles.

This scene always made me nostalgic and sad. =(

shdfhmv9.png

As for Octoroks, yes, Phantom Hourglass Octoroks could be considered irrelevant since they were in the dream world. Of course, the dream world was possibly real, but the PH Octoroks shared little similarities with modern Octoroks in regards to color and markings. They could be a different kind of Octorok. They could even have interbred with ancient Octorok civilization, triggering land movement, given that the Ocean King's Seas were actually geographically somewhere in the Great Sea. The Oracles' Octoroks are the familiar land walking creatures we know and love, complete with facial markings.

So, yeah, Wind Waker and Link to the Past are probably not the end.

LttP's Octoroks actually looked a bit early in land development, and Hylian had just become a legend, whereas it became almost nonexistent in later Zeldas. I wonder what they read in?

Sahaqiel

Posted

Oh wow I've never seen those two castles put together like that in comparison.. that's really cool!

Saha, I hereby dub you my new LoZ guru...

Posted

I don't think the FS series even takes place in the same timeline as the 3D zelda games. In the 3D games, Ganondorf gets his power and Ganon form from the Triforce of Power. In FSA, it is revealed that he got them from the Trident from the Pyrimid. This suggests different Ganondorfs, which in turn suggests alternate universes. No one among us can claim to know the real Zelda timeline(s) with 100% certainty.

Posted

All will be revealed eventually... let's hope so anyway. Or I will freak out! There better actually be a time line. They might be making up all of this rubbish by giving us little clues while they try to figure out a time line that fits all of the stories.

Posted

I can't be bothered reading all of your posts. but it would make sense to have WW and TP as the closing of both timelines because the next Zelda game is meant to be different isn't it? maybe this is it. maybe Ganon's finally dead, i think that'd be clever. finish both timelines around the same time.

Posted

The Oracles, despite their incredibly low grounds for theory making, contradict this, Gingerlink.

In the opening sequence, Link is atop a cliff on a horse looking down at a castle in the midst of a huge forest. The forest implies that the castle has been down there so long, it's uninhabited and probably has been for a long long time. It's at a pretty low elevation, too. (Perhaps even below sea level.)

Inside the castle is the Triforce, and nothing else.

Apparently, this castle is so uninhabited, that even the Goddesses wouldn't mind placing the Triforce in it for safekeeping, because it's so isolated from everything else.

There is also the possibility that New Hyrule is really far from Old Hyrule. The opening sequence also shows Link riding his horse quite a great distance.

asdguh0.png

Hyrule Castle in Ocarina of time/Wind Waker.

wertuh6.png

Discovered castle in Oracle of Ages/Seasons.

Notice the similarities between the two Castles.

Wind Waker's Hyrule Castle boasted a more circular design, but for the sake of argument, they're the same castle.

Here, at the end of Oracle of Ages/.Seasons, you can see Zelda overlooking her balcony to view a shooting star. There is no forest, therefore the discovered castle and the castle inhabited by the new Hyrule Royal Family are two different castles.

This scene always made me nostalgic and sad. =(

shdfhmv9.png

As for Octoroks, yes, Phantom Hourglass Octoroks could be considered irrelevant since they were in the dream world. Of course, the dream world was possibly real, but the PH Octoroks shared little similarities with modern Octoroks in regards to color and markings. They could be a different kind of Octorok. They could even have interbred with ancient Octorok civilization, triggering land movement, given that the Ocean King's Seas were actually geographically somewhere in the Great Sea. The Oracles' Octoroks are the familiar land walking creatures we know and love, complete with facial markings.

So, yeah, Wind Waker and Link to the Past are probably not the end.

LttP's Octoroks actually looked a bit early in land development, and Hylian had just become a legend, whereas it became almost nonexistent in later Zeldas. I wonder what they read in?

Sahaqiel

Hope this answers something for you, Gregg.

Sahaqiel

Posted

I really need to flesh out my knowledge, I can nit pick and spot stuff from all the 3d games I've played fine, but I've got far less experience with the 2d ones, ones like the orcales I haven't been able to play at all..

the whole thing with the triforce being "used" in WW really bugs me though.