Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Should you be able to do whatever you want to your own body?

22 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Vote and discuss.

Should the government be able to control what I do with my own body?

Do they have the right to tell me I can't do X if it harms no one else?

Do they have the right to tell me I can't do X if it harms no one, including not even harming my own body?

Edited by Dustin (see edit history)

Posted

No the gov does not have control.

It's your body your responsability.

It is your choise to take care of it.

Posted

While I claim responsibility for my body, I may do things that will harm it. Regardless of my intention, I would hope someone (not the government so much as my friends and family) would stop me.

No to the government, but also no to being able to do whatever you want to your own body.

Posted

If I want to blow myself up in an airport, I have every right to do so. Who are they to say I can't?

Posted

Basically, if there's no risk of harm to anyone else, then yes, you can do whatever you want to yourself.

Posted

If some one truly wants to take drugs or even kill themselves something... well, good luck stopping them, no matter if you are the government, parent or the best friend. Im not saying its a good thing to do, but "if there is a will, there is a way"

Posted

The thing is that these days harm counts psychological harm as well.

Nonsense, I say.

Posted

Aethix is right.

Posted

Yes, I'll say that you should be able to do what you want with your own body, but you must deal with the consequences. If you do drugs, you'll have to cope with the addiction. If you get wild piercings or tatoos, you have to live with them. If you run around and get pregnant, you have to support the child.

That's what I think. You can do what you want to yourself, but you're the one who will have to deal with the consequences.

Posted

I agree with shadowknight. The warnings about certain things are there for a reason, but if you decide to do through with things that could be harmful then you have to deal with the consequences.

Posted

Yes, you should. But drugs like alcohol and heroin also creates massive damage on society. This makes the question a bit more complex.

Posted

An interesting take on this is the movie 'my sisters keeper'. It's about a girl who was created to provide bone marrow for her sister with leukemia. when her sister's kidneys break down, her parents want her to give her sister a kidney. She sues her parents over the rights to her own body.

Posted

Everyone is against meT_T.gif

Posted

What do you mean everyone is against you?

Posted

Never mind. You ask one too many questions dude.