Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Movies

35 posts in this topic

Posted

So, I love movies. I really do.

It started when I watched Shaun of the Dead and Moon on Halloween night. I started to recognize film as a beautiful art form, where any emotion can be conveyed very well. I'm a huge fan of British Humour and Black Comedy, along with mellow or bittersweet kinds of movies, but I'm open to just about anything.

I'm looking for movies with something more than action. I want something deep, not something like Transformers. Lately, I've watched:

Moon

Shaun of the Dead

Cold Souls

Donnie Darko (didn't like it as much as the others, it was too twisted)

Dr. Strangelove

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Hot Fuzz

Inglourious Basterds

Schindler's List

The Shawshank Redemption

Most of these I liked a lot, and I was wondering if you guys would suggest some more fantastic movies.

So, what do you guys think?

Posted

Well, Forrest Gump is a must, if you haven't already seen it.

Posted

Oh, I forgot to put that one on the list. But you're on the right track.

Posted

Well, the last good movie I watched was 9.

Posted

I saw that in theaters. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't as good as some others, in my opinion.

Posted

If you haven't seen it yet, The Prestige. If you have seen it once, see it again. It's just as good the second time. You'll know the surprises, but it's fun finding all the little clues that you missed before and being able to better piece the story together. It's a truly brilliant movie. It does jump around a lot, but for good reason.

Posted

I haven't actually seen that one. I'll check it out; it sounds interesting.

Posted

So, I love movies. I really do.

It started when I watched Shaun of the Dead and Moon on Halloween night. I started to recognize film as a beautiful art form, where any emotion can be conveyed very well. I'm a huge fan of British Humour and Black Comedy, along with mellow or bittersweet kinds of movies, but I'm open to just about anything.

I'm looking for movies with something more than action. I want something deep, not something like Transformers. Lately, I've watched:

Moon

Shaun of the Dead

Cold Souls

Donnie Darko (didn't like it as much as the others, it was too twisted)

Dr. Strangelove

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Hot Fuzz

Inglourious Basterds

Schindler's List

The Shawshank Redemption

Most of these I liked a lot, and I was wondering if you guys would suggest some more fantastic movies.

So, what do you guys think?

Boldified are the movies I watched and loved

Posted

Seriously, Moon and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind are my two favourite serious movies. Best things I've seen recently for sure, maybe ever.

I'm going to watch "Shrink" tonight. I don't really have any expectations for it, I'm just hoping it's good.

I'm also going to watch "Ghost Town," which I do have high expectations for. Mostly because Ricky Gervais can be pretty funny, but also because I believe what I read on RottenTomatoes.

Posted

Yes, I remember that. I remember you attempting to mock me for it, too, and thinking that it was odd that someone would ridicule the fact that someone else has a desire to learn and would want to be with someone else who has the same desire.

But also, the comment about Rotten Tomatoes was more or less a joke. While it's a decent review site, I've disagreed with their ratings before.

While you're here, Adipocere, do you have any movie recomendations?

Posted

I'm not a fan of Tim Burton or Johnny Depp, first off.

Yeah, the films I listed are known for being deep and thought-provoking because they are. My favourite, Moon, isn't known by very many people I've talked to. It got good critical reviews, yes, but every single one of them was deserved, because it was a fantastic movie, not quite like anything I'd seen before. And generally, though there are exceptions, the overall opinion of the critics tends to be right. That's why we have films that are considered "classics."

So, you don't respect film as an art form. Huh. I'll respect that; art certainly isn't for everyone.

I won't take up any more of your precious time with this post, sir, since it's obviously more important than mine. I'll let you go back to screwing your ego now, since you seem to love it so much.

Posted

It's "British humor", not "British Humour", you puppying idiot.

Wow. Are you really that ignorant?

Posted

Looking for something deep? I know many movies that are deep, but I can't post them here.

Try Grave of the Fireflies.

Posted

I've seen Grave of the Fireflies, and it was really good.

And I almost always use the British spellings of things. I've done that for a long time.

Posted

I'm not looking to be pretentious, I'm just looking to find some good movies. What's wrong with liking movies?