Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

A rant of younger days.

44 posts in this topic

Posted

Way back when, maybe when I was 11, I decided to play through Pokémon Yellow again. I was like yeah, this is cool. I bet I can get through most of this without saving! Or at least, I just didn't think about saving.

Anyways, these were the days of when you clicked on an item, it used it without asking you whether or not you wanted to use it. Everything wasn't categorized. It was a bunch of text. So I'm sitting on the edge of Cinnabar Island, fishing it up like it was nobody's business, (Which reminds me, Pokémon taught me the phrase, "like no tomorrow!" which I remember figuring out back when I was like 8) when a Magikarp appears. I can't remember what I was going to do to the thing, but it involved me going into my bag and trying to throw a Pokéball. Pretty sure I was trying to catch it.

ANYWAYS, I accidentally threw my MASTER BALL at it.

MAN.

I sat in shock, crossing my fingers, praying that it had all been a mistake and that the Magikarp was going to break free and return my Master Ball to me, but no. Nothing like that happened. I knew, even as I had hoped so hard during those agonizing six or so seconds that Magikarp would be caught, and I'd be -1 Master Ball.

I imagined Mewtwo and all its super-hard-to-catch-with-other-balls glory. Pokéballs, Great Balls, AND Ultra Balls, didn't seem to differ in general effect. I was going to waste so much money better spent on Hyper Potions and Revives when I get to the Elite Four. (Max Potions aren't worth the price. In fact, I don't even think you could buy them back then.)

So I lie there on my stomach and thought. What should I do? Should I save? Reset and have to do everything over?

By the way, when I start a game over, I HAVE to do everything more perfect than I did before. I caught every Pokémon specific to an area before I moved on, and trained them all to the same level. I had to do it.

So I was like, that's not worth it.

And saved.

It was painful. It only humiliated me more to have to WALK to the PC JUST to look at how my Magikarp was now taking up a slot of the then-non-user-friendly box system.

It took me awhile to get over it.

I overcame my disappointment just now.

Sahaqiel

Posted

Aww. Well, glad it's all good now!

Posted

Sorry, but I laughed.

Posted

[quote name='「Arcane

Posted

Can't say I've ever felt such disappointment myself but man, Saha, that sucks! :C

I should totally play through my Pokémon Yellow sometime.

Posted

You know, that Magikarp could've achieved great things, so many great things.

And you just left it flapping around in a PC. For shame.

Posted

That Magikarp was an unemployed WHORE living in both the PC I used AND a priceless, unbuyable Pokéball that would eventually not be able to continue existing in my other games once 3rd gen came around and screwed over everything I knew and loved about the magic of 2nd gen in Pokémon.

Also, it's OK to laugh. I laugh about it too. I regard my past and present selves as different people, so I don't feel bad laughing at them because I know that I wouldn't care.

Posted

I hated Pokemon Yellow. It was based off the anime, which was based of the game... IT MAKES NO SENSE!

Posted

Why would you hate it? It gives you a cute little sidekick.

It's R/B + Pikachu and better graphics.

Don't complain.

GOSH.

Posted

Pokemon Yellow had Jessie and James in it, therefore instant win! imo C:

Posted

Pokemon Yellow had Jessie and James in it, therefore instant win! imo C:

This. I like having two rivals in games. Well, recurring enemies. They didn't have that in G/S/C, did they? They had it in R/S/E though, but that was some sick kid who was just rubbish in general and nobody really remembers him. E/P/D I am not sure of.

Yellow had 2 rivals (three kind of) and a sidekick! What's not to like?

Posted

Paranoid Cascade takes that as an insult :C

But seriously, Jessie and James are just...so much more likeable than the other "rivals" Pfft

Posted

Agreed that Jessie and James were great. If only they had double battles back then. It would have been so great. We can dream... :/

The other rivals are just the standard, "We are that other person you met, we got a Pokémon too. Mine is better than yours and I'll run through the game and totally wreck your shit with my super speed."

And anybody else noticed that they are losing personality? Gary (or Blue) at least had a bit of a personality. You disliked him, he was an asshole. Oak didn't like him much either and even his sister went behind his back to give you a map. He's a whiny little ass and nobody likes him, even though he thinks they do.

Silver was a step up from Gary in my opinion. I mean, he's much cooler, he has long hair! And there was some character develpoment with him at least, as time went on he learned to be nice C: And he has a Crobat eventually, which you should know can only be obtained through the evolution of a Golbat, but only if it's happy enough. D'aw he loves his Golbat and it loves him.

All other rivals were pish and they're too nice.

Also seriously, I just noticed something. I don't mind the new Pokémon. Bring on the 5th generation! Zoroark is already awesome, I can't wait to see what else they got in there :3

Posted

Btw, Am I the only one who doesn't understand the whole "NEW POKEMON LOOK LIKE ROBOTS!" crap argument? They...don't (unless it's Magnezone but that's meant to be robotic duh)

Can't wait for Gen V as well! C:

Posted

They do look like they're trying to hard to appeal to "kids today" though. I mean, check the legendaries.

arceus.pnggiratina.png483.png

Shaymin, Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf were steps in the right direction.

And Zoroark looks nice~

24233114700158540310100.jpg