Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Whats the Deal with Egypt?

21 posts in this topic

Posted

Yeah, thats a really non chalant name for a thread like this, but over here in college land I don't own a TV and the TV's rarely ever play anything on the news, anyways. Usually people want to do things like watch Cartoon Network. So, I'm pretty out of the loop when it comes to world news. I've known Egypt has been a hot topic for two months or so, but aside from that I'm not sure on what particularly. Whats going on over there? Is this a revolution? Is it awesome? Is it bad?

Posted

Egypt is rioting at the moment, people are pissed over stuff, and the Egyptian government is trying to prevent people from using the internet and stuff. It's pretty much a cluster-puppy of everything the government can do wrong during any situation.

And it is pretty bad as people are just killing each other. It's like the riots in Los Angeles after the Rodney King Trials, but instead of just one part of a state doing it, it's an entire country.

Posted

Usually people want to do things like watch Cartoon Network.

I bet they play Pokemon too

And feel cool for acting like big kids and going against the grain

because they are college students

Posted

There's been huge riots and protests since like, the 25th January over the horribly inept/corrupt government and it was so huge that President Mubarak resigned on the 11th February and fled to Sharm-el-Sheikh after 30 years of corrupt rule.

I'm glad that people getting together and rebelling has helped changed the structure of government in Egypt. Go democracy :> But yeah, I wonder if other countries will have similar events... There's already been protests in Tunisia and Algeria and lots of other countries in North Africa/Southeast Asia

Posted

Their tits are getting too big.

Now back to reality, the president has been rigging elections and stuff, they want to get him out. They're sick of him. They have the candidates on Yahoo.com I think.

Posted

Their tits are getting too big.

wat

Posted

he got it just about right pheo

perfect even

Posted

Yeah, thats a really non chalant name for a thread like this, but over here in college land I don't own a TV and the TV's rarely ever play anything on the news, anyways. Usually people want to do things like watch Cartoon Network. So, I'm pretty out of the loop when it comes to world news. I've known Egypt has been a hot topic for two months or so, but aside from that I'm not sure on what particularly. Whats going on over there? Is this a revolution? Is it awesome? Is it bad?

Well, the rioting has calmed down since Mubarak stepped down.

It will be interesting to se what happens, as right now, the military is in control till a new leader can be found. If everything goes well, they will establish a democracy or republic and have their first fair election in almost thirty years.

The other big question right now is what this will do for the rest of the middle east. There are several other countries that are in a similar situation and this may be a spark that ignites revolution through the more moderate middle eastern countries. On top of that, what happens in Egypt will play a big role of the future peace of Israel.

Oh, and gas prices, we'll see what happens there.

Posted

Pretty much, there were anti-authoritarian rallies going on and being organized via Facebook and Twitter, then Egypt's gov't shut them down.

Then people everywhere started rioting.

Then they shut down the WHOLE INTERNET OF ALL OF EGYPT. Which is funny, because that's the first time that ever happened in the Information Age we live in, to any country. According to some experts or w/e I read, it would be nigh impossible to do in a place like the US. Like, possibility wise.

So they're pissed, because the Egyptian leader at the moment has been ruling for 30 something years, and they took away their Facebook, freedom of speech, etc. They're trying to make him resign.

Some riots are violent, because of the military police spraying folks down with hoses and tear gas and whatever, but most are just really heated rallies.

The leader of Egypt "made promises" to step down, but really, he just transferred power to his vice president, and that got people more pissed, because the VP still controls the country like a marionette, following the "former" president's orders.

The riots are leaking into places like Iran, where they've actually started executing people.

That's about all I know, so far.

Sahaqiel

Posted

Mad at Mubarak.

Internet blocked to cut off revolution.

Internet re-opened or something, Twitter and Facebook explode with Resistance.

News of the Resistance spreads over Facebook, they gain tons of support and manpower.

Mubarak gets scared and steps down then flees or something.

New government. Yay.

Posted

Anyone else find it weird that a website like facebook or youtube is powerful enough to help people organize a resistance like this?

Posted

I don't.

Posted

Well maybe its not that weird, but to the best of my knowledge its the first time its happened on this scale.

Posted

I think it'd be pretty awesome if this was the Middle East's American Revolution, like in its effect. One revolution then another then another then another. I think that's how it happened with Europe, right? I think it started with the American Revolution, forgive/correct me if I'm wrong.

IN OTHER WORDS:

It'll be pretty awesome if most of the Middle East turns to democracy from this. Idk what most of them are now.