Discuss Anime and Mang

7276 posts in this topic

Posted

OK, I have ranted about BONES before, out loud, to my friends, and only until then have I realized exactly how much BONES like to BS.

In almost every BONES series I've seen, their endings serve no purpose except to throw all the interesting mechanics out the window, and conclude with something that makes no sense in relation to the rest of the series. You have to admit, Eka, that E7's ending had nothing to do with the rest of the series, had no foreshadowing, and otherwise was something that was never a thing until the end of the series.

No one said "If Eureka is saved, then Renton and Eureka will elope and take to the stars, then carve their names into the moon and disappear, leaving the fate of the Earth completely uncared for, and who are those other characters? they don't matter"

And this is near perfect consistent to me. Their best original ending in recent memory for a BONES anime is the "original" FMA anime. It actually made sense in relation to the rest of the series, but it was still dicked up, and there was no foreshadowing as to what was on the other side of the gate. I've said it before, BONES are like the M. Night Shyamalan of the anime industry.

But things like E7, Darker than BLACK, Soul Eater, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 (OK, well, it was more of a cliche at the end, with an all around average series), and Sword of the Stranger, seem to have endings that are created with the sole intent of pissing me off.

One time I was reading a review of Skull Man, and at the end of the review, it was like, "some might be annoyed at the ambiguous ending" etc. etc. and I was like, "Wait".

Then I looked up the studio, and wasn't surprised at all.

Sahaqiel

Posted

Soul Eater

COURAGE PUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNCH

Posted

I finished Fullmetal Alchemist the other day. It was really good. I'm going to watch FMA Brotherhood next.

if FMA:B follows the manga as closely as i think it does.....it will make you hate the first FMA.

like, i loved that series, and now, a few years later, i think of it, and realize "what were they smoking?"

long story short: my first big anime was from bones, and soul eater is a great anime if you chop off the punch. in other words, bones endings can no longer phase me.

Posted

Still need to finish Wolf's Rain gosh >:

And still watching through Dennou Coil. It's still very very good.

Posted

if FMA:B follows the manga as closely as i think it does.....it will make you hate the first FMA.

like, i loved that series, and now, a few years later, i think of it, and realize "what were they smoking?"

long story short: my first big anime was from bones, and soul eater is a great anime if you chop off the punch. in other words, bones endings can no longer phase me.

That's because Brotherhood is just better in general. It's not that it follows closely to the manga, it's just that it's better.

Also, so you're saying that you're unphased by the your anime being turned to shit? I'd be pretty unhappy.

Also, Teto, good to hear that you like Dennou Coil because it's amazing. Probably in my top 10.

Posted

No one said "If Eureka is saved, then Renton and Eureka will elope and take to the stars, then carve their names into the moon and disappear, leaving the fate of the Earth completely uncared for, and who are those other characters? they don't matter"

When Eureka became the Control Cluster though, the problem wasn't solved. The Limit of Questions would eventually be reached again sometime in the future, and if Dewey hadn't suicided then some other douchebag would've stepped forward and continued his work. In the final episode, she was resisting becoming the Command Cluster because she wanted to live with everyone, so a solution that both gets rid of the Command Cluster (and thus the concept of the Limit of Questions) and gets Eureka and Renton together had to be reached. Sure Renton went in there with the sole purpose to just saving her and nothing else, but what came of it is that the Scubs recognized the connection between the two with Renton' actions. So half of the Scubs left the Earth, eliminating the need for a Control Cluster and the Limit of Questions, and the Earth was saved. They did leave, but not when it was in a state of crisis. I would've liked for a bit of closure to happen with maybe like the Gekkostate trying to explain the events that had happened or something, but I guess its assumed since one year later, citizens aren't in a panic about anything. *shrugs*

I dunno, I've never been thoroughly pissed off at Studio BONES endings besides the ending of Wolf's Rain before they made the last 4 conclusive OVAs. Disappointed, sure; but not to the extent where I hate the studio or the show (unless I hated the show from the start).

Still need to finish Wolf's Rain gosh >:

Do ittttt. I think I'll rewatch Wolf's Rain soon actually. C:

Posted

I challenge BONES' endings with Strange Dawn's ending. I still have no idea what happened there... (This is the part where I completely disregard Neon Genesis Evangelion's ending... Gainax... why, Gainax?!)

Though, yeah, the first FMA's animation ending was... Rose, why was she even there? Like, what is all this?

TINY. PEOPLE.

Posted

Yuriko: Evangelion had a conclusive ending with the movie, End of Evangelion.

And Eka, still doesn't explain the moon eloping disappearing what am I watching.

And imagine, Chimetals, that you're watching an interesting sci fi anime with a bunch of unique mechanics and stuff. Then you realize the first season is dedicated to Pizza Hut advertisement. Then you realize the second season is dedicated to fanservice. Then you realize they created two likeable characters for the sole purpose of one to die and the other to make out with her fanservicey half naked corpse and have a revenge battle you don't even get to see, with the revenge taker disappearing, and neither of them doing anything important. Then imagine that the whole ending process is the most cliché thing ever, and what I mean by that is the main character disappears and the main supporting character and love interest holds her gun with both hands, as she looks hopefully off into the sunset amongst the ruins and smiles, saying to some other unimportant character, "No... I know somehow that he's still alive out there, somewhere... I'm sure of it."

Then imagine that after the decisive earth shattering, if a bit nonsensical and super cliché end battle, they decide to make an entire alternate world for the sole purpose of ending the series with one of the main characters up until that point (who was revived from death into the alternate world, might I add) reenacting the cliché scene of the schoolgirl running late, so she has to hold onto her toast with her mouth. (I don't think she runs into her love interest accidentally, but idk, it probably happened.)

Now, with all this dickery that explained none of the mysteries surrounding all the sci fi mechanics, hardly explaining the main antagonist or whatever his weapon was, they decide that they want to decisively cap off this season with the main supporting character flying off into the sky in a hover car, panning into the sky ending cliché and all.

Then you realize that all cars up until that point had wheels, and they invented hover cars and put them into mainstream use without explanation, or even acknowledgement, but probably so they had a reason to pan into the sky. I say this because they were on their way to dinner, (it looked like) or even lunch, and they had no reason to fly directly toward the sky.

What I described this as to my friends, is that BONES gave me a puzzle. It was really interesting at first, when I started putting the pieces together, but I couldn't quite figure out what it was. I was excited to have all the pieces fit, so I could understand this puzzle, and it only got more interesting the more I knew about it, or at least, complex.

The final moments are the last piece of the puzzle, and as I put that piece in, I find out that the puzzle is... nothing. It was never anything to begin with. All the shapes that looked like they were going to be something, weren't anything.

The alternative to this is that it was Goatse all along, and I just didn't realize this until I put in that last piece.

This is a BONES ending to me.

It will never change.

Sahaqiel

Posted

Nichijou OP spammmm

Posted

Yuriko: Evangelion had a conclusive ending with the movie, End of Evangelion.

And Eka, still doesn't explain the moon eloping disappearing what am I watching.

And imagine, Chimetals, that you're watching an interesting sci fi anime with a bunch of unique mechanics and stuff. Then you realize the first season is dedicated to Pizza Hut advertisement. Then you realize the second season is dedicated to fanservice. Then you realize they created two likeable characters for the sole purpose of one to die and the other to make out with her fanservicey half naked corpse and have a revenge battle you don't even get to see, with the revenge taker disappearing, and neither of them doing anything important. Then imagine that the whole ending process is the most cliché thing ever, and what I mean by that is the main character disappears and the main supporting character and love interest holds her gun with both hands, as she looks hopefully off into the sunset amongst the ruins and smiles, saying to some other unimportant character, "No... I know somehow that he's still alive out there, somewhere... I'm sure of it."

Then imagine that after the decisive earth shattering, if a bit nonsensical and super cliché end battle, they decide to make an entire alternate world for the sole purpose of ending the series with one of the main characters up until that point (who was revived from death into the alternate world, might I add) reenacting the cliché scene of the schoolgirl running late, so she has to hold onto her toast with her mouth. (I don't think she runs into her love interest accidentally, but idk, it probably happened.)

Now, with all this dickery that explained none of the mysteries surrounding all the sci fi mechanics, hardly explaining the main antagonist or whatever his weapon was, they decide that they want to decisively cap off this season with the main supporting character flying off into the sky in a hover car, panning into the sky ending cliché and all.

Then you realize that all cars up until that point had wheels, and they invented hover cars and put them into mainstream use without explanation, or even acknowledgement, but probably so they had a reason to pan into the sky. I say this because they were on their way to dinner, (it looked like) or even lunch, and they had no reason to fly directly toward the sky.

What I described this as to my friends, is that BONES gave me a puzzle. It was really interesting at first, when I started putting the pieces together, but I couldn't quite figure out what it was. I was excited to have all the pieces fit, so I could understand this puzzle, and it only got more interesting the more I knew about it, or at least, complex.

The final moments are the last piece of the puzzle, and as I put that piece in, I find out that the puzzle is... nothing. It was never anything to begin with. All the shapes that looked like they were going to be something, weren't anything.

The alternative to this is that it was Goatse all along, and I just didn't realize this until I put in that last piece.

This is a BONES ending to me.

It will never change.

Sahaqiel

Posted

i love bones thy make relly good animu

Posted

That's because Brotherhood is just better in general. It's not that it follows closely to the manga, it's just that it's better.

Also, so you're saying that you're unphased by the your anime being turned to shit? I'd be pretty unhappy.

Also, Teto, good to hear that you like Dennou Coil because it's amazing. Probably in my top 10.

its not just that it follows closely to the manga.

actually, i havent had the time to watch it, yet. im thinking ill have to pull an all night/day marathon with a bunch of people--thatd be my ideal watching setting.

the point is that the first serious anime i started on was like that, so it really cant be worse.

The guy that reccomended Dennou Coil to me already had my respect due to my anime club having quality shows (Sengoku Basara excluded) and him choosing the anime up for voting. But DenCoil alone has now guaranteed anything he strongly recommends, i will watch.

And imagine, Chimetals...

started with bones. that description does not surprise me.

while were on the topic, FMA--the movie ending still throws me--did they prevent WW2 by stopping Hitler preemptively? and then went off into the sunset to hunt down H bombs? WHAT?

Posted

its not just that it follows closely to the manga.

I wasn't saying it was good because it followed the manga. I'm just saying that Brotherhood is better in general. The original is bad.