Pheonix561's General Art Thread

502 posts in this topic

Posted

Here's three from class today. Well, the first two are from class today and the third is from class tuesday or so. About an hour and a half for the first two, fifty minutes on the third.

120202001.jpg

120202002.jpg

120202003.jpg

Sure they're "Nice," but they're not the contour they're supposed to be. In an effort to show shading I accidentally just literally straight up shaded them. And that was stupid of me. I'll do it better next time.

Posted

are they made of wood

did Medusa turn them into stone pheo ):

last guy looks like he's shielding his eyes

from MEDUSA

or maybe he saw the basilisk through a ghost

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

By the way, sexy new podcast mascot? Yeah, that was all me.

pols_manual_50.png

Go listen to it, also.

Posted

Ohh, that's adorable. A Pol's Voice is so appropriate for the podcast.

Posted

Fifty Minutes:

120209001.jpg

Twenty five minutes later:

120209002.jpg

Twenty Five minutes later:

120209003.jpg

Guy kept moving his right arm so I didn't draw it. I probably should have, though. He's got a small head in here, too.

Anyways, here's an update on that portrait I've been doing, on which I'm officially fifty percent done doing.

120210002g.jpg

I think it's coming along quite nicely, except for that ridiculous ear.

Original photo, if we've all forgotten:

28458410150310423609467.jpg

Cirt likes this

Posted

The face is turning out p. pro.

Also lol the foam thing. I guess it's artistic in the sense that it makes you look at something mundane in a more conceptualized light, but at the same time it's kind of pretentious.

Do think it's kind of cool. People all leave an imprint during their lives that eventually goes away to make room for new imprints.

Posted

If any part of that piece registered as a QR code, that would be pretty impressive.

Posted

The face is turning out p. pro.

Also lol the foam thing. I guess it's artistic in the sense that it makes you look at something mundane in a more conceptualized light, but at the same time it's kind of pretentious.

Do think it's kind of cool. People all leave an imprint during their lives that eventually goes away to make room for new imprints.

The "looking at it in a conceptualized light" thing is a given for any piece of concept art. It's a pretty pretentioous piece, and every time I look at a concept piece like this I always try to think of how the idea could be done better (which really isn't hard, concept art is usually stupid). If you want to give me a fleeting moment like the one the piece advertises, cook me dinner.

It's cool watching you improve so quickly Pheo.

What if each of those QR codes brought up a fun fact about Muriel?

Do ho ho ho ho ho ho ho :>

Anyways, the code isn't going to actually work. Now, if I did one in a real already registered size that may not be the case, and it sure would be interesting to try out sometime. But this one is larger than the largest QR codes that are used. It won't read anything. Not that I can't wait to see people try otherwise.

Posted

that

that's actually a funny idea and I'm going to have to find a way to impliment it someday. Also I'm at about 54 hours in this thing right now, so I should hit somewhere around a hundred when it's finished.

Posted

Oh man. Do you have enough pens?

(The answer is that you will never have enough pens)

Posted

Pens looks like penis hurrrr

He will never have enough of that either.

Cirt likes this

Posted

Pen Island

Posted

found this and thought of pheo and his faces.

also, those QR codes, who knows, if you stand back far enough, theyd be regular sized. itd be interesting if some of them actually bring up stuff.

Posted

He will never have enough of that either.

I was going to say "like" to this post but then I remembered we can do that

I am going to quote this for more recognition anyway because lololol

Posted

I haven't posted in here in two weeks because I was hoping that the big portrait we've all been paying attention to would be done by now, and I wanted to wait to post in here again until that happened. Unfortunately, the Gallery came and went at an earlier time than originally advertised and I ran out of time to finish this thing. Fortunately, I went to the gallery, and it sucked. All the stuff was amateur at best, and highschool grade at worst, which was actually half the gallery. The second half was people my age and at my skill level posting art on skateboards, with mixed results. Some were pretty good, but nothing was incredible. That, and this big thing would not have fit in at that show, whatsoever. It was strictly skateboard themed.

Thankfully, there's a new show that's going to take place after spring break at my college, and this thing has plenty of time to get finished before then. It's going to be juried by some well known guy who's name escapes me (but he himself gets good reviews too apparently), so I'm hoping this will win an award or two. The picture is at the bottom of the post. First, let me post what was my first reductive charcoal portrait in a while. I was out of practice and did horribly.

a4xdV.jpg

After fifty minutes I only had this much done, and I wasn't happy about that. I didn't even have to worry about drawing her face, and I still managed to squid up a /lot/ of this. In my defence, she had a habit of moving a /lot/ herself, sometimes replacing her leg entirely(what the squid, bro?). This drawing took place on valentine's day, which is apparently why she was wearing a sun dress thing instead of just being naked, according to my teacher. I guess that makes sense? I'm just upset that I couldn't give the first girl we had to draw all semester any justice.

5lVjO.jpg

And of course I was a stupid shit and got my finger or thumb or whatever digit in the way but who cares, the misery that is this charcoal study is worse. Good lord, I /still/ didn't so much as touch her hands and feet and legs and things. She didn't hold still, and sure, normally I get irate about that, but for this drawing I'm more irritated that I just couldn't use charcoal that day. 140 minute drawing.

LP4Jw.jpg

This one, initially, looks like it's set up to look pretty bad. And in all respects, I was doing poorly off the bat. I made his hands HUGE and his head SMALL, and both of those go hilariously together. Look at the lines I was in the process of drawing to correct them. Imagine how much smaller the head was and how much bigger the hands were. I don't know what the squid happened.

OUwT1.jpg

It came out pretty well done in the end, though. I somehow rendered the ankles really nicely for doing something so quickly, and although his mouth area looks strange from a distance, when you look at it on paper his lips are much nicer. That's one thing you have to look out for when you're doing a portrait like this. If you're so detail oriented like I am, you're tempted to just camp in one area and render something really nicely, then bullshit the rest of it. Forcing yourself to generalize every area can be very challenging, but it's something I'm learning. Now, I'm not going to say I made tons of progress during the time between this portrait and the girl above, because this guy was lit from behind during this session, and in a reductive portrait, it's very easy to render someone when they're lit from behind. This is because the skin is about the colour of the charcoal shade you just applied to your newsprint. But I digress, a simpler portrait was just what I needed to get back into using charcoal after spending all that time with pens. This one came out nicer than I hoped.

Also I'm pretty sure that model has a thing for me. Also he's the first model I've ever seen with an uncircumcised penis. I saw it and was like "wooooaaaaaah."

Anyways, here's Muriel again:

ZNbza.jpg

The original photo for Muriel is finished, here. But because that photo is at a 3:4 ratio, exactly like what I have finished here, that doesn't make up for the final 25% of the top row that makes this a square. I'm pretty sure I'm somewhere north of 75 hours, I lost track a while ago. I'm at a point where I have to make up entirely whats up there. I'm still deciding between making it a typical randomized QR code texture that fades into her photo, or just making it look like the rest of her room. I'm not sure yet. But it's nice to finally be this far along. Not that it would really be purely random, because I'd still be using that formula I mentioned. But you get the idea, right?

Next post will have more life drawing work, and a sneak peak of the big life drawing project I'm going to be doing, maybe.