Pheonix561's General Art Thread

502 posts in this topic

Posted

Yeah, I already saw that thing. I'll read it later.

Here's a quick WIP I took before I left for McDonalds today, I'll take another tonight when I finish the legs and have hopefully started the cloth. This is actually being turned in late, but my teacher is pretty lenient about it since she knows I'm not putting it off and am actually working hard to make it quality. Gotta be honest, a lot of the stuff that gets turned in in this class just isn't good.

photoon20111105at18552.jpg

That corn in the background is because for Halloween we had a Halloween themed model drawing, which is what you saw in vagina man's sketch. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do the cloth in front of him or not in time, because I'm gonna do a project tomorrow that I'll probably do pretty quickly. I'll explain it tomorrow when I'm doing it.

Posted

Aaaaaaand here's that second WIP I was talking about. It's almost done, I'm just going to finish touching up the bottom pant leg. I need to alter what's going on with that left thigh, too. And make his hair look more messy, like it is.

photoon20111106at01352.jpg

Posted

Aaaaaand here's the "final" product I'll be turning in. I'll edit this post later to talk more about it.

photoon20111106at1747.jpg

Posted

Cash tub

Posted

HA. Guess who never got around to talking about it. If I don't later tonight I will eventually. If someone asks me about it or something idk lol.

Here's what I'm currently working on, which is pretty straight forward. This will be done by tonight:

photoon20111110at0015.jpg

"Hey guys, this self portrait is supposed to be one hand one face. Can you guys guess what I'm doing?"

"Lol Idk"

You guys are really bad at this game.

Our teacher mentioned that these were were small enough that students usually give these as gifts to their family over the break. I intend to do that.

This one is actually a whole lot smaller than the other ones. It's only Five inches by Five inches. When I heard that we had to do an assignment that small, I immediately thought "This should be easy." And yeah, it is. But I still underestimated it. Normally where I could have a twenty five square in space done in maybe two hours, this is me trying to cram as much detail into each inch as possible. If I were using pencils this would be lasting much longer, is my point. I should have known there would be more to this assignment than meets the eye.

Picture is in mirror image, also. That's part of how I check for errors. For example, that's a small finger.

Drawing this from a Mirror, also.

That's right.

Sitting here, at a mirror, with a finger up my nose, for hours at a time.

how u fel

Posted

Amused. ( dear god why is my phone typing so loud)

Posted

Okay, here's the finished product, also in mirror, in which I have decided my finger is probably too thin and too small. Mostly pretty accurate though.

photoon20111110at0142.jpg

try_this_again.gif

WHAT HATH SCIENCE WROUGHT

Posted

WHAT HATH SCIENCE WROUGHT

Science was involved in this? I'm pretty sure you just bended a few joints and stuck your finger up there. (Multitasking: pheo has it)

Posted

Edited that post to make the gif work, check it again.

Posted

Broken link.

try_this_again.gif

Much better.

Posted

Just realized I didn't post these like I intended to, so here's a couple recent figure drawings, which were clothed for some reason. That was unexpected, actually.

OR SHOULD I SAY

AXTUALLY

photoon20111110at1349.jpg

I think it's funny that I actually got the proportions mostly correct for this two hour drawing, but ended up royally squidding up the values. That's something I can only improve by constantly working to improve it, though. Not that I had a fantastic grasp on working additively to being with. I just thought this was a cool set up we had.

photoon20111110at1333.jpg

He wore lots of baggy clothes, which made it difficult to guess where his body was and how to draw it properly. Not particularly proud of this one, but I'm certainly working faster than I was. Normally I would only get the figure out of a two hour drawing, but here I am with the figure, his clothes, and his background.

Posted

Lessons with fabric and human figure? All of the fabric. All of it.

Posted

Haven't posted in here because I've been busy actually doing the art. I'll post some progress pics from my final later (which I will also talk about in detail), but right now here's some in class shots of things.

photoon20111115at1212.jpg

photoon20111115at1300.jpg

photoon20111115at1344.jpg

photoon20111117at1234.jpg

photoon20111117at1327.jpg

Same pose, same place, different models. I like to think I've gotten better at faces since I first started taking this class.

I'm also qued up to take the intermediate version of this class next semester at the same time in the same room with the same teacher, because that's how I roll.

Posted

And, here's some progress shots of that final I mentioned, naturally, in mirror image.

OH HO HO CIRT I'M DRAWING MY ENTIRE BACK oh too bad I'm wearing a shirt huh

photoon20111129at1344.jpg

photoon20111130at0032.jpg

photoon20111202at0157.jpg|

photoon20111203at0122.jpg

photoon20111204at0048.jpg

You know, it's funny. Sitting there staring at the shirt for as long as I have been, I've been vexing myself over it, making sure each shape and value is correct. This is my final after all. And as bothersome as I've been thinking it's been, putting it in mirror image and on a smaller scale shows hey, it's not all that off. That's a nice feeling.

I'm obviously using a grid to get proportions right this time. This entire drawing is being done from a photo, and it's supposed to be life sized. When I realized I was going to need to be using a grid, which was the method suggested to me by my teacher and friends, I thought I was cheating myself and felt bad until I read on 4chan's /ic/ board that some great artists used and recommended grid techniques. Leonardo Davinci would go out to the landscape he wanted with a piece of glass, and draw the landscape on the glass as he saw it, then take it back to his studio. Albrecht Durer put a frame with strings in front of him (think viewfinders) between him and his model, and then laid a grid down on his paper. Here I am worrying about grids on a paper, and he's using grids with an actual model in front of him! And then I saw a couple modern artists i've been following on deviantart using grids, but I'll just post a link because you guys probably don't even care about how awesome this guy is.

I'm not going to go into the content of this picture just yet. That deserves greater explanation that cannot be told without seeing the finished piece. This is also why I have not posted the reference photo. You will just have to understand for yourself when you see it.