Pheonix561's General Art Thread

502 posts in this topic

Posted

They look very half life.

Posted

Really? Never played the game. Frankly I was a bit worried they might come across as too Halo or District 9/Elysium.

Posted

The shape of the gun is kinda halo-ey, but the orange is like, the signature of half life

Posted

Well, really they're very FAMAS-inspired, but they do give off a Halo-vibe in shape and exceedingly District 9 in color scheme. I would think Half-Life's color scheme is more iconically black and orange.

FAMAS%20Site%201.jpg

movies-weapons_00387015.jpg

As for whether or not I like the designs, I think they're pretty good, even if they don't have a particularly unique personality. The backs have attractive features on each of them. I like the drum-like magazine on the first one, though the pattern intersecting with the pattern on the gun is a bit too much-- I would think for simplicity's sake the drum would be a solid color, either white or orange (leaning towards white) and the pattern would persist in the loading area. Or maybe there'd just be a less flashy indicator of what rotation it needs to be at, and the mechanisms would handle themselves (like rotating valves in a trumpet until they lock). But I like everything near the rails. It has a nice, compact, practical feel.

I like the parallel look of the second one, but I know that handling weapons doesn't involve all 90 degree angles. In that sense the third one might be the most practical to load, though I wouldn't know. The angle on the magazing-loading area looks like it would feel more natural to load, but I'm not sure how I like the angled front. I'm not sure how comfortable it would be, or if sacrificing the bottom rail would be worth it. Just practicality talk.

Aesthetically, I like the front of the top gun the most and the back and the barrel stabilizer of the third gun the most. Though if these were in a sci-fi universe, I could see these being different models of the same kind of gun, suiting different purposes.

What are these concepts for by the way?

Posted

As a matter of fact, the FAMAS F1 was exactly the gun I was researching while I worked! I loved how blunt it looked. Seeing one of the District 9 guns in the same thread as the stuff I was posting bothers me in that they look a bit more similar than I realized, especially with the black line separating the white and orange aspects of the paint job on the guns, not to mention the butt of the rifles are literally Identical. Lordy.

As for the drum in the first one, I like the idea behind it but I don't think it works for this design in particular. I'll find a way to make it work somewhere else, probably. I was trying to find a way to make guns that worked that would make sense, at least for this part, but also that had their own style. Frankly I think I was too obsessed with making them realistic to make them anything else though. It's something to be addressed in a second design iteration. Frankly I like the earlier, smaller gun I posted more, because it has more character to it. I liked the way I got all the round shapes to work together, and I thought maybe a drum magazine could work for that in the first gun, but it's a matter of clashing shapes. I'll finish one of these but I'll come back to it again later.

As for what they're for, it's just a personal project I'm working on.

Posted

I found a better color scheme for these designs than what I was using before. Here's some rifle sketches for the same personal project:

tumblr_n6cf4uPWkC1rbffp0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n6ebekNpw71txb2qdo1_1280.jpg

Anything you guys like or hate in these?

These are two-handed things I guess? I'm thinking about the ergonomic design of them. Like if they were built for humans they might be awkward to hold, one or two handed. I haven't actually held a gun but I feel like if you had one hand on the handle there and the other under the front end, it wouldn't be the most comfortable thing to hold with your hands kind of close together. Doesn't seem long enough to be comfortable with two hands, but also not small enough that you could comfortably hold it in one hand without damaging your wrist over time. But if it's held by robots then you're fine I guess, unless the robots are poorly designed and suffer from strain-related damages in their robot wrists.

Keeping in mind I know sweet F.A. about guns and don't know for sure how one would hold a gun naturally.

Oh, 'rifle' sketches, so they'll be two-handed I guess. I dunno about the ergonomics of gun design but that might be worth a look if you're looking for a new angle (unless it's already a consideration - I dunno how deeply you're doing this).

What sorts of things are you basing your designs off of anyway, out of interest? Where's your influence from?

Yeah looking at rifles on google, these look pretty practical. Of course you'd be basing them off of real guns anyway so I don't doubt that, but I just imagined using these would be really awkward, but I imagine that's probably what rifles are like anyway to someone who's never held a gun.

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

Well, If there were any influences on these designs, I definitely enjoyed watching District 9 before I started doing these guns. I'm not going to be using the orange/black/white color scheme on them anymore, though, but that's something I can easily solve due to what the colors are taken from. That's a post for another time though.

You're also right about looking into the ergonomics of gun design, here. What I did here was ultimately the wrong approach to how I should be designing guns if I want them to be simultaneously unique and useable. I ended up just looking up a few different modern guns, taking what I like from each of them, adding a bit of my own flair, and throwing on a color scheme. I was having a difficult time getting started on this one though, and I want to try again instead of finishing one of these. Or maybe I'll finish one anyways. But I have a few ideas I'd love to work with, mostly involving that circular magazine in the first rifle. I love what I've started with the butt of the first rifle, and I want to make it work.

Posted

I think the ergonomics look fine. If you've taken the front and back grips from two different rifles, it should all still kinda' work together, unless the designs are drastically different. But since these ergonomics are about a homo sapien holding a gun, it's kind of hard to screw up if you've based it on previously successful ergonomic designs. The third gun in particular looks somewhat comfortable to hold, especially if the front end's grip was more rounded.

Posted

vuiCpIS.png

dTHBq6E.png

duAcoiJ.png

Here's some WIP's from the past few days of the same subject. I want this horizontal bullpup drum rifle to work, but for the life of me I can't get it to happen. I'm gonna have to put this down for a while and come back to it later. I'll be doing sniper rifles tomorrow.

Teto and PrimaGaga like this

Posted

dTHBq6E.png

This one is really cute. something i might carry around in gritty sci-fi land. I'd probably pop a few stickers on it haha. Design a few more smaller ones like this plox. 

Also, curious as to why you havent drawn a kick ass light saber battle axe yet. Unless ive missed that phase. Sounds dumb but, you know, Style > Substance!

Posted

Here's a WIP of a single comic page I'm doing for practice making pages:

QRegy3M.jpg

I hope to have it finished by tonight.

SilverAlchemic and LLmao ?✊? like this

Posted

How carefully did you position the ruler and pen in the photo? I'm MOCKING you. But no, this is funny. I thought this was a prisoner 'a cell from your idea at first

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

A prisoner what cell? Also, I just noticed people might think those big square things are speakers. They are rocket launchers.

Posted

oh its not a cell? I thought it was like, a moveable prisoner's cell.

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

It just looked similar, at least in the sketch stage, to your prisoner transporter trolley

I see what it is now